[XP] Blizz-ABS

Started by Blizzard, January 09, 2008, 08:21:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

January 09, 2008, 08:21:56 am Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 06:21:52 pm by Blizzard
Blizz-ABS
Authors: Blizzard, winkio
Version: 2.87
Type: Advanced Action Battle System
Key Term: Custom Battle System

Introduction

Using this script in your game will allow you to carry out battles on the map. Examples on commercial games for an ABS are The Legend of Zelda (various Nintendo consoles), Secret of Mana (SNES), Diablo 2 (PC), etc. Active Battle System also means real-time battle on the map.
This ABS has a many advanced features to help you and allow you creating high quality games, is easy to use and is very flexible.
Note that this ABS is merely a very powerful tool. It is up to you to make your game awesome using this tool.

This work is licensed under BSD License 2.0:
QuoteCopyright (c) Boris "Blizzard" Mikić
All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

1.  Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,
    this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

2.  Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice,
    this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation
    and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

3.  Neither the name of the copyright holder nor the names of its contributors
    may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
    without specific prior written permission.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND
ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED.
IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT,
INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT
NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR
PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY,
WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE)
ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE
POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

You may use this script for both non-commercial and commercial products without limitations as long as you fulfill the conditions presented by the above license. The "complete" way to give credit is to include the license somewhere in your product (e.g. in the credits screen), but a "simple" way is also acceptable. The "simple" way to give credit is as follows:
QuoteBlizz-ABS licensed under BSD License 2.0, Copyright (c) Boris "Blizzard" Mikić, Ryan "winkio" Christiansen

Alternatively, if your font doesn't support diacritic characters, you may use this variant:
QuoteBlizz-ABS licensed under BSD License 2.0, Copyright (c) Boris "Blizzard" Mikic, Ryan "winkio" Christiansen

In general other similar variants are allowed as long as it is clear who the creator is (e.g. "Blizz-ABS created by Blizzard & winkio" is acceptable). But if possible, prefer to use one of the two variants listed above.

If you fail to give credit and/or claim that this work was created by you, this may result in legal action and/or payment of damages even though this work is free of charge to use normally.

Features

There are many features which are mostly listed in the Manual chapter 1.1. for convenience.

Screenshots

Note that those are screenshots from the Blizz-ABS example game Chronicles of Sir Lag-A-Lot.

Note that those are screenshots from the Blizz-ABS example game Star G..

Other noteworthy screenshots:

Demo

Here is a link to the topic of the demonstration game Chronicles of Sir Lag-A-Lot. It uses about 50% of the (current) features of this ABS to demostrate what you can do with this ABS if you are ready to put some serious effort into your game. Keep in mind that the game uses v1.63 and not the most recent version. Those features might be available in future versions.
Official Chronicles of Sir Lag-A-Lot topic

The example game Star G. on the other side used Blizz-ABS v2.23, but it uses only a small number of features.
Official Star G. topic

The example game series Arshes goes to Battle Camp uses Blizz-ABS v2.84 and higher, and demonstrates specific advanced topics, such as custom enemy AI.
Official Arshes goes to Battle Camp topic

The independent example game Dissipate is still in work, but it looks extremely promising.
Official Dissipate topic

Other notable independent example games:
Anima
Venture to the Dark Castle
Blizz ABS Arcade

Script

Download this file and unzip it. The script itself is contained in the .txt files.  Read the manual.
Blizz-ABS 2.87 Package + Blizz-ABS Config 2.84
Blizz-ABS 2.86 Package + Blizz-ABS Config 2.84
Blizz-ABS 2.85 Package + Blizz-ABS Config 2.84
Blizz-ABS 2.84 Package + Blizz-ABS Config 2.84

Instructions

The instructions can be found in the User Manual.

If you don't have Adobe Acrobat Reader, you can download a Word Viewer here which will allow you to open the manual file:
Adobe Acrobat Reader Download
Alternatively (which I recommend) you can use Foxit Reader to open the PDF files
Foxit PDF Reader Download

Blizz-ABS Config requires Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 to be installed! If you don't have it installed, you can download it from here:
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Download
Whether you have it installed or not can be found out in "Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs". Keep in mind that you need at least version 2.0 installed. This means that you can have a higher version installed as well.

Compatibility

90% compatible with SDK 1.x. 80% compatible with SDK 2.x. Compatible with any CMS. Mostly is not compatible with any battle add-ons for the normal turn based battle system. WILL corrupt your old save games. Incompatible with the RGSS100J.dll. This script goes below any other script that modifies the Sprite_Character class.
Blizz-ABS Config requires Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 to be installed.

Credits and Thanks

• Blizzard
  • winkio

Author's Notes

Please download the User Manual and read it to learn how to use Blizz-ABS. If you don't read the Manual, you will not be able to use many of the great features this ABS supports.

If you have problems opening the .chm manual file, please read this article: http://blogs.technet.com/seanearp/archive/2007/05/28/can-t-read-chm-compiled-help-on-vista-xp-2003.aspx
The solution is at the bottom, you don't need to read the whole article.

If you find any bugs, please report them here:
http://forum.chaos-project.com

That's it! N-Joy! =D
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Caro Ru Lushe

Ok, My Question is the Following:

I wanted to know, if it's possible to manipulate a Boss Fight and making it quite strategical, To sum it up more easy, if there's a way I can make in battle Manipulate it, either by Events & Call scripts. An Example:

First One:

In one battle the Boss would be in a giant stone in which he is safe from Attacks and Summons his little bugger minions, by using the call script to check the Map until all the Critters are dead in the Variable, the Boss would Teleport itself from his safe place and fight the player.

One thing I'd like to know if I could Manipulate the Boss by Variables, that by a certain number of hits, for example; after 5 hits, he teleports back to his Giant stone away from the Player, and resetting the Variable of the fiends, he summons once more Minions. Process repeats ti'll he's dead.

Second one:

Would like to make a Boss in Which Starts to Teleport every so with the character like a scene, without him hitting the character.

Third One:
Manipulate a Boss Fight, when the Boss looses he changes form into a new Monster instead of dying, he simply transforms in a new one, I was wondering if it's possible.

Final One:

D= if it's possible to make the Enemy create like 'Doppelgangers' throu event, and not make the boss move or Attack the player unless he either hits a fake.

=X That is all I want to know.

Blizzard

Blizz-ABS will support a Boss AI feature in future which can be made by any scripter as plugin. I guess you'll have to wait a bit for that. =/

EDIT:

1.89 is out.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

darkkyros

January 13, 2008, 11:21:57 pm #3 Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 11:24:38 pm by darkkyros
This IS the best ABS I've ever tried.  On the 1.89 Version, I've bumped into an error (Picture Below).  Also, for some reason, the enemies won't attack me.  I've tried searching, but found nothing on this error.

EDIT:  I also just check, and everything works fine on version 1.8.

Blizzard

January 14, 2008, 02:45:06 am #4 Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 02:46:24 am by Blizzard
You will get a crash sooner or later with v1.8 as everybody does. :3 I recommend using v1.73 then.

Anyway, the problem with the bug is following:
Since I've been already working on the ally AI, I've been changing the code of the Map_Actor class. Before I've stopped working on it for now, I've had problems with allies returning into the caterpillar formation. So I decided to revamp the old ally AI completely.
I've been in a hurry when I wanted to release 1.89, so I simply removed the code that I thought of to be the extra coding. I suppose I didn't remove it all or I already modified other parts of the code. I'm not sure, but it might work normally up to some degreee if you turn off the caterpillar for now. I'll see if I can fix this problem temporarily in v1.9 before I make the new ally AI for v2.0.

So, you can try continue using v1.89 and simply turn off the caterpillar for now.

EDIT:

I'm glad that this ABS is still considered to be the best, even though NeoABS was released. :D

Spoofus

well Blizz your ABS is amazing for tons of reasons

you dont need SDK to use it
it is easy to use unlike most of the others out there that you need loads of scripting knowledge just to set up a enemy ( i am like the trash of scripting and i can use your ABS crazy easy)
and you keep it real with your ABS with its simplicity to use and all the features it has
i mean c'mon who ever says this ABS system is whack you just tell me and i'll
DONKEY PUNCH their faces for ya  ;D

My Blog site I am working on: http://spoofus.weebly.com/

Blizzard

darkkyros

Quote from: Blizzard on January 14, 2008, 02:45:06 am
You will get a crash sooner or later with v1.8 as everybody does. :3 I recommend using v1.73 then.

So, you can try continue using v1.89 and simply turn off the caterpillar for now.

EDIT:

I'm glad that this ABS is still considered to be the best, even though NeoABS was released. :D

Thanks.  I'll use 1.73 then.  I'm not in that much of a hurry.
the NeoABS, for some reason, wasn't all that great.  I can think of countless other ABS' that I like better.  And, this one tops the list.

Nortos

Quote from: Spoofus on January 14, 2008, 02:56:34 pm
DONKEY PUNCH their faces for ya  ;D

rofl lmao
and yeah exactly what ^ said

Sin86

January 14, 2008, 09:23:59 pm #9 Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 10:04:24 pm by Sin86
I got a question.

I just installed the new version, but now enemies are weaker than before. They hardly attack me and I have to keep following them to make them attack me. Rather than coming at me to kill my characters, they are running away from them and rarely attack.

EDIT: I now know how to turn on the attributes but the enemy only attacks me when I attack it and I would rather have the enemy attack me and not the enemy be "if you don't hurt me, I'll leave you alone".

EDIT2: Never mind, I got it.

Blizzard

And exaclty this could be the reason why it is so popular. You can very easily figure out how to work with it. ^_^

Sin86

I got some random error while playing with the enemy AI.

"Script 'Blizz ABS Part 1' line 5121 : NoMethodError occurred.

undefined method `sight' for #<Map_Enemy:0x3f85e00>"

I set this enemy's attributes to \a[00011101] when I encountered this error and was around that enemy at the same time it happened.

HEY Blizzard

;D Hey Blizzard i think you know me from RMXP.de . I was that guy who wanted a Secret of Mana ABS and you gave me this powerfull ABS and i love it. It is like a legend :D
BUT
I need your help now. I've learned a lot by your demo "chronics of sir lag a lot" and i boght me a legal version of the rmxp maker becuse your script dosen't work at my (PLS DONT BLAME ME) illegal version.
But now i have a problem how can i get my team mebers to fighting with the monsters on the map??

Is it possible for your script?

And if this isn't a fiature of your script can u edit it for me please becuse i am les then a noob in RGSS scripting. My favorit was always the event- programming.

Hope you can help me and I hope allso you will not blame me so much becuse i have an illegal rmxp.

PS
( >:( I WON'T GIVE SOMEONE ELSE THE ILLEGAL VERSION AND I DONT KNOW WHERE I GOT IT SO DONT ASK ME PLS >:()

I am sorry becuse my bad english. I haven't wrote something in english since 2000. ;)

Fantasist

January 15, 2008, 03:49:53 pm #13 Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 03:52:31 pm by Fantasist
Since 8 yrs? wow!

What you're asking is the Ally AI feature, which Godly Blizz is working on. v1.9 will have it I think.

Quotebecuse your script dosen't work at my (PLS DONT BLAME ME) illegal version.

Spoiler: ShowHide
You just had to replace the RGSS dll.

Quote(I WON'T GIVE SOMEONE ELSE THE ILLEGAL VERSION AND I DONT KNOW WHERE I GOT IT SO DONT ASK ME PLS)
Spoiler: ShowHide
I doubt anyone needs it seeing as most of RMXP users have PKE whether they have the legal version or not ;)

EDIT:
QuoteWhat you're asking is the Ally AI feature, which Godly Blozz is working on. v1.9 will have it I think.
lol!

EDIT2: Oh, and it's rude not to register when you're welcome here :)
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

^^peter16321^^

Quote from: HEY Blizzard on January 15, 2008, 03:42:33 pm
;D Hey Blizzard i think you know me from RMXP.de . I was that guy who wanted a Secret of Mana ABS and you gave me this powerfull ABS and i love it. It is like a legend :D
BUT
I need your help now. I've learned a lot by your demo "chronics of sir lag a lot" and i boght me a legal version of the rmxp maker becuse your script dosen't work at my (PLS DONT BLAME ME) illegal version.
But now i have a problem how can i get my team mebers to fighting with the monsters on the map??

Is it possible for your script?

And if this isn't a fiature of your script can u edit it for me please becuse i am les then a noob in RGSS scripting. My favorit was always the event- programming.

Hope you can help me and I hope allso you will not blame me so much becuse i have an illegal rmxp.

PS
( >:( I WON'T GIVE SOMEONE ELSE THE ILLEGAL VERSION AND I DONT KNOW WHERE I GOT IT SO DONT ASK ME PLS >:()

I am sorry becuse my bad english. I haven't wrote something in english since 2000. ;)

I tought name was the name of the post  ;D not my  ;)
so my name is peter16321 i am a menber since today
must log me in i think XD

Fantasist

Yeah, welcome :)

by the way:
QuoteAlso note that this ABS doesn't have all the features that were originally planned implemented yet.

This system is still under development and it only gets better by the day. Did you know that it's compatible with many other scripts by Blizzard? :)
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

Sally

^^peter16321^^

yes of cuse

and thx for helping is 1.9 allready finish or can i get this AI ???
i am like a child now and this is a x-mas presend under the X-mas tree
XD

i will see if I will finde something nice for my project here. I have maked a event abs where the party and the monsters where fighting long befor i got this abs but my eventprogrammed script was laging a lot becuse the programming wasen't right i have debuged it in a work of 3 month XD.
but it was to many for me.
With 2 party menbers and 20 monsters i needed 230 variables an 40 tabs and it havent so much features like this script and this script was so easy to use for me so i forgotten my event systhem.
But i habe all the event programming in my had so i will make a demo of my eventprogramed script for this forum XD
hope someone will like it^^

phu i want to speak german becuse i havent wrote in english so long^^ um if my mom find it out she wll ring my nec becuse she was borned in scotland

i have a problem can log in right i have no righs to see member list and much more i am only guast

Fantasist

1. Log in then ^_^
2. You'll find very good scripts in the Scripts Database
3. Definitely try Chaos Project (found in the projects section). It has two languages, English and GERMAN! Maybe you'll be among the few who can report any errors in German mode.

Chaos Project is Blizzard's game btw. And if you know German, both of you will be speaking in German soon enough (and throw us all in the dark XD)

Blizzard

January 15, 2008, 05:57:41 pm #19 Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 05:59:41 pm by Blizzard
@Peter: Hi, what's up?

Alright, solving the problem is simple. Yes, the ABS really doesn't work with the illegal version, but since I don't care what version somebody is using, I explained in the manual how to solve the problem. Simply read chapter 5.3. and you should be fine. If you have problems, PM or e-mail me.

BTW, v1.89 already has the new AI. I didn't make it v1.9, because I need to add "leader action decision of minions" and update the manual by explaining better how to configure some stuff.

And yeah, you should register and log in. xD Posting on an English forum can improve your English a lot if you visit it and post frequently.

Last thing: You really might wanna try my game. As FTS said, it's in English and German. :3 A german testing besides mine would be pretty helpful. :3

@Sin86: I'll look into it. It's a problem I haven't encountered myself yet, so I can't tell what the problem could be. But on first sight I'd say it's a typo. The line should say something with "char.sight", but it should be either "ai.sight" or "char.AI_data.sight". Try changing it, it might just work out, so I can delay the release of v1.9 for a bit longer until I finish all the stuff I have to do.