[XP] Blizz-ABS

Started by Blizzard, January 09, 2008, 08:21:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Metaron

Hi everyone,

I want to make some changes to Game_Battler 3 through following this guide that Wraight89 has posted - https://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=14666.0 

The guide above talks heavily about the default battle system but I wondered if this would also apply to Blizz-Abs?

Ideally I want to change how weapon damage works in the game by having certain weapon types i.e. Knives, bows etc scale of Dexterity instead of Strength. I don't like the idea that all weapon damage is run off Strength.

Would changes made to Game_Battler 3 be compatiable with how Blizz-Abs functions? If not, is there a way of modifying how this works in Blizz-Abs?

As always thank you for your time and patience.

KK20

Blizz-ABS doesn't touch the damage formulas, so it should be fine.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

ThatCofaPerson

I have tried to open the tutorial, and despite everything else being there (buttons and stuff), the page itself isn't and I can't seem to make it visible :huh: . Do you have any advice on that?

KK20

What do you mean by tutorial? One of the demos? Screenshots would be appreciated.

Other Projects

ThatCofaPerson

KK20

Did you try this?
QuoteInstructions

The instructions can be found in the User Manual.

If you don't have Adobe Acrobat Reader, you can download a Word Viewer here which will allow you to open the manual file:
Adobe Acrobat Reader Download
Alternatively (which I recommend) you can use Foxit Reader to open the PDF files
Foxit PDF Reader Download
If that doesn't work, just google how to find a way to properly open/view a CHM file.

Other Projects

taberenc

February 05, 2023, 01:32:21 pm #5486 Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 01:37:11 pm by taberenc
Hello..

Years ago there was an rpg-maker project opened to collaboration. That game was began on 2011, and was active by its founders until 2013 or so. The game had an hiatus, being still active but like in pause. Was done in RPG Maker XP.
I took part for some graphic content in the end of that first period.
Around 2017 the game, still incomplete, was nearly abandoned. I began to collaborate more: I did maps, events, graphic part.. a bit of all that I knew a bit about.
the people who created had gone, but I had a github fork and the main page linked to mine for the updates.
Then i broke my right arm two times. Github banned my account for some of the graphic parts that i had made years ago.
And i left.
But.. when i left, the other collaborators quit too. The forum where the discussions took part disappeared.
And the game was then abandoned.

My mail was on the changelog.. so, someone, the last october, wrote to me asking about the game.
He told me that he could help to end it. That still there was some people interested.
I found the old files and retook the project with the purpose of ending it.
When that guy, who was a programmer, had rpg maker and saw the mess that was the code.. well, he quit.

I've been developing the story, making new maps, characters, events, scenes.. in order to make the end that the game always deserved. That has been on the last months.

For the final stages is required a full use of skills, since is time for the final bosses.
Someone, years ago, added Blizz-ABS on the game. Version 2.80

I tried to update it, but then the game just dont work. Gets frozen.

There is a pair of things that i've been trying to fix in the code, checking the location of them. I don't know if someone will be able to help me in this.

by one side, there is a minimap. I've seen, in the code, how to change the position and size of the minimap when is in full screen. But I'm unable to find a way to put the minimap when is in its tiny size in the bottom left part of the screen. Now is in the bottom right part of the screen. In rpg-maker, the image of the character is in the same area, bottom right, so i'm trying to put that tiny map on the bottom left to help the playability and avoid overlaping.
Does anybody know how can i do that?

The second question is about skills:
Some skills seems to require a hotkey. the menu for assigning items and skills for the hotkeys can be modified. I've seen it on the code of the game. Took me a while to find the numbers, but i managed to do it.
But.. once you have chosen your hotkeys, there is a menu on the left of the screen: a vertical bar: black squares and white numbers for empty positions, icons of the chosen skills or items for the hotkey assigned. But.. problems:

while the arrow that indicates the position goes from mid screen to the bottom, the bar itself only occupies and area in the mid hight of the screen, so the arrow and the positions don't match. Also, due the tiny portion of the screen that occupies that bar, the icons are overlapped.
I've tried to see how i can enlarge that bar, but I've been unable. All that i've managed is to barely change its position as a whole or by parts, but not its size.

So.. those are my problems right now: an old version of blizz-abs, a code worked by several people in several years, and an interface that needs some retouches.

Can anyone help me on this?

I'm not a programmer myself. And I'm not native english speaker either. I beg perdon if i've done grammar or vocabulary mistakes.

I've just created an account here just to ask this help. I don't know what else I can do. I've tried everything.

KK20

I'm using v2.87 as reference, so I'm not sure how wildly different v2.80 is.

For the minimap problem, do a search for class Minimap. Its initialize method looks like this
  def initialize
    # call superclass method
    super(Viewport.new(476, 356, 160, 120))
Simply update the line to be this:
super(Viewport.new(4, 356, 160, 120))

I don't understand what you're talking about with the hotkeys. Screenshots would be appreciated.

Other Projects

taberenc

Thanks a lot! Yes, now the minimap is on the lower left side!

This problem was already years ago. I remember that was commented back then. But was not my issue in that period.

About the hotkeys column.. yes, screenshot. Here it is:

In the left of the screen, the overlapped icons

KK20

Think you can send over your Scripts.rxdata file? Doesn't seem like vertical hotkeys is a normal behavior in Blizz-ABS, so it most likely is custom-made. I can't really tell you what to fix without any code for reference.

Other Projects

taberenc

February 07, 2023, 05:07:57 am #5490 Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 10:42:21 pm by KK20 Reason: Removed github link
Quote from: KK20 on February 06, 2023, 06:51:33 pmThink you can send over your Scripts.rxdata file? Doesn't seem like vertical hotkeys is a normal behavior in Blizz-ABS, so it most likely is custom-made. I can't really tell you what to fix without any code for reference.

In my rpgmaker XP, the scripts are in a section where i can see them by parts and edit them, but I don't know how to convert them into a file nor to search within them as a whole.

there is a file called scripts.rxdata , but if i open it, is full of japanese characters. It seems encrypted in some way.

I don't know if rpgmaker allows to edit its script to be converted into the editable file that you ask for.

I can copy paste the blizz-abs part. Is where those changes should be. if i do so, how do i send it to you?

Anyways, if interested, the file is here: -removed-

KK20

Quotethere is a file called scripts.rxdata , but if i open it, is full of japanese characters. It seems encrypted in some way.
Yeah don't worry about it. Has to do with Ruby Marshal. Programmer stuff.

The idea was to just put the Scripts.rxdata into a new project and then open the RMXP editor to view the scripts. But you provided me with the whole project instead, so that's even better :)

Anyways, looks like Blizz-ABS HUD is the script you want to work with. Specifically, the edited Hotkey_Assignment class.

The algorithm it uses to draw the hotkeys depends on the Z_HOTKEYS_BACK graphic file. I looked at your project's Pictures and it seems the "hotkey.png" graphic was never finished. It's just a black 10x10 pixel square. So what I did, in the meantime, was change the graphic to be a 32x32 black square.

Then I changed the class to this (compare my edits before you replace the original, for learning purposes):
class Hotkey_Assignment

def initialize(viewport = nil)
    super
    self.bitmap = Bitmap.new(32, 320)
    self.bitmap.font.bold = true
    self.bitmap.font.size -= 8
    self.bitmap.font.color = system_color
    self.x, self.y, self.z = 4, 160, 1100
    @skills = BlizzABS::Cache::EmptyKeys
    @items = BlizzABS::Cache::EmptyKeys
    update
  end

def draw(index = nil)
    back = RPG::Cache.picture(BlizzCFG::Z_HOTKEYS_BACK)
    w, h = back.width, back.height
    ow, oh = (w - 24) / 2, (h - 32) / 2
    (index == nil ? BlizzABS::Cache::HotkeyRange : [index]).each {|i|
        if $game_player.skill_hotkeys[i%10] != 0
          object = $data_skills[$game_player.skill_hotkeys[i%10]]
        elsif $game_player.item_hotkeys[i%10] != 0
          object = $data_items[$game_player.item_hotkeys[i%10]]
        end
        if @items[i%10] != $game_player.item_hotkeys[i%10] ||
            @skills[i%10] != $game_player.skill_hotkeys[i%10]
          self.bitmap.fill_rect(0, h*(i-1), w, h, Color.new(0, 0, 0, 0))
          self.bitmap.blt(0, h*(i-1), back, Rect.new(0, 1, w, h))
          if object != nil
            bitmap = RPG::Cache.icon(object.icon_name)
            self.bitmap.blt(ow, h*(i-1)+oh, bitmap, Rect.new(0, 0, 24, 24))
          end
          self.bitmap.draw_text_full(0, h*(i-1)+oh, w-2, 32, (i%10).to_s, 2)
        end}
    @items = $game_player.item_hotkeys.clone
    @skills = $game_player.skill_hotkeys.clone
  end

end
Looks like it's more formatted now:
Spoiler: ShowHide

Other Projects

taberenc

February 08, 2023, 08:05:47 pm #5492 Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 08:16:07 pm by taberenc
Thankyou to make me understand that the problem was just in the size of the png file!!

thanks to my previous tryings i learnt to change the place of the bar and its elements.

When i've changed the size of the png, I've also given to it a hint of transparency.

I think that now it looks great!:

Now.. there is only a .. tiny problem. I need to move the arrows that indicate the positions on the bar. Maybe i can figure it out. If you know where to check it.. would be great.
I say it because since the image of the character is on the right side, the map is better on the left side. and to combine with the icons of the hotkeys, is better to have the hotkeys icons bar a bit upper than where they were before.. so.. now.. they don't match with the arrows. but they didn't match before either, so i didnt search in the code about them. I always thought that the problem was on the bar, not on the arrows.

now it looks great, no?

KK20

In the same script, locate def update_choice. The first line of the method is this
@choice.y = 192 + @index * 32
Just make that 192 a smaller number.

Other Projects

taberenc

February 09, 2023, 03:58:26 am #5494 Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 07:40:22 am by taberenc
thanks! Is done. Matching is not perfect, but is good enough. Anyways, much more pefect than before.
This problem has been there since.. well, maybe ten years.

There still a problem that it seems more like a bug. With the same script, sometimes the hotkeys bar it keeps being visible all the time, also if is empty. But on other times, like previous saved games, if the bar is not being used, then is invisible. Same conditions, different outcomes.
There is an option to hide the HUB , but that option does not include the bar.
I mean.. is necessary to see the icons and numbers, and to see how they match when you chose them. But maybe is not that necessary to see the bar all the time, still less if is empty.
sorry for causing you so much trouble , but .. do you know maybe where i could check this option?

Still have a lot of problems to fix, but interface is essential. Is basic. Is how the game comunicate with the user and viceversa. Any other cosmetic or about playability problem can be hidden in some way, but.. a bad interface.. is unavoidable. You just can't hide it from the user if does not work well.

KK20

QuoteMatching is not perfect, but is good enough.
That's the fun part with UI... experimenting with different values until it looks good. Based on your screenshot, it looks like you want to increase the number a bit more. Try adding another 16 to it.

QuoteWith the same script, sometimes the hotkeys bar it keeps being visible all the time, also if is empty.
Are you not aware that there is a button to show/hide the hotkeys? I think you had it configured to Tab. It's in part 1 of Blizz-ABS.

Other Projects

taberenc

February 09, 2023, 04:18:30 pm #5496 Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 05:26:48 pm by taberenc
 :o  :o  :o  :o
Nope, I wasn't aware of that!

Thanks!!

I've been doing lot of things.. but the hotkeys part in this game comes in the late game. Was nearly not developed because the skills are not easy to obtain while playing, and then are too strong. So was nearly not used. Since I'm with the last part of the game (final bosses and so on) I've rescued them, but I've been busy doing maps, scenes, sprites, the script.. and didn't pay enough attention to this.

omg

by the way.. ive seen that blizz is the responsible of the enemies engaging the player in the map, not in battle scenes like in most of rpg's. I like it. but how is modified the behaviour of their AI?

I've seen that there is an option in the menu,.. but only includes the main character, the one used by the player. so i guess that somewhere should be a place where to add the different enemies.

again about the keys.. the sad part is that i've written myself some tutorials within the game.. so i've wrote that thing about the tab key. I even changed the function of some key, because in my keyboard some signs are different than in the american ones, so is better to avoid them and use letters. plain letters don't use to give problems of compatibility between countries.
I had writen in the tutorial that tab was for hotkeys,.. but not that was for hiden them or show them. Now i'll add that detail.

edit:

I'm not familiarized with blizz-abs. Now i've seen that adding a series of 0 and 1 after the name of the enemy, part of its behaviour changes. I'll read and try. thanks for your time. If i've got a real problem, a problem that i can't fix, i'll ask for help.

and thanks again.