If only life was perfect... =/

Started by littletomdj, October 13, 2011, 03:15:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

littletomdj

This post is a bit of a whine & a muse... but maybe something that will inspire some creativity in people more skilled than me (if you bare with me)...

I've not been using RMXP for long and whilst it was fun to get started it's limitations quickly became apparent. It seems that I'm not going to be able to produce the game I wanted with it... even though my standards & expectations of what I was trying to accomplish were pretty low.

I finally got to a hurdle that was unjumpable.
I wanted the system to recognise who's turn it was & who was attacking who.
I'm well put out. :(

It seems that even with a million lines of script I'll still never be able to simulate a conversation between characters & enemies in a battle sequence. My game depended on that. The worst part is that I can see the part in the engine where the option would be and it's simply not there. The most frustrating thing is that it seems like it could have been so easily implemented into the engine (atleast to some degree) by the designers.

In the database, in the troops menu there is a "conditions" pop out menu.

If only it looked less like this.
Spoiler: ShowHide

& more like this..
Spoiler: ShowHide

Take a minute to look at the options on (and figure out) that second pictue & imagine what the implications of having such a thing incorporated into the engine would be.

The green lines represent the drop down menu's from each box.
The yellow & blue lines are simply the options availible depending on the selection. (i.e. depending on which option is selected [one, the other, or both] of the following menu's will be greyed out.

With options like that you could have conversations in battle, display graphical pop ups on a character's turn, counter attacks to specific skills, item drops to specific skills, plot points to your game in the middle of a battle... That jpeg is as eloborate as you could wish for too.

What if????  :O.o: :wacko: 

MarkHest

October 13, 2011, 03:27:58 pm #1 Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 03:46:14 pm by MarkHest
You CAN make events happen in the middle of battle when using spells and items. It's actually ridiculously easy!

It works like this: Common Events!
In the Database you will see an option that says: Common Events. You can apply these common events to spells and items by creating the event and then on the item/spell you can select that Common Event and it will happen when you use it.

I'll demonstrate in screenshots:

first i show you where to find the Common Events: ShowHide

Name it what you want and put what you want to happen: ShowHide

Then go to the item you want to have this Event and select your Common Event you just created: ShowHide

Now enter a battle and use the potion: ShowHide

And this is what we get after the item is used: ShowHide

And that's how you do it. It can be used in the exact same way with spells. You can altso make the spell/item have no effects at all and do all the effects with the event instead. Common Events are awesome :3

littletomdj

Mark, You're an amazing legend but I'm already there. It won't work for me. If the player's don't "know" who they're fighting against it doesn't matter.

If I could forsee a work around I'm not the type to quit.
But I'm smart enough to know that what I'm after's impossible without reworking the game engine.
*weep

Common events aren't gonna cut it mate. If you convince me otherwise I'll be amazed! Seriously I think it's game over for me and the RMXP world... ... (for now)..  :(

MarkHest

October 13, 2011, 03:47:45 pm #3 Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 04:04:17 pm by MarkHest
Okay i see, i created that tutorial anyway xD
Sorry to see you leave RMXP so early :(

If this is about those facesets, there are other sideview battle script that includes facesets. I'm pretty sure.

A lot of those commands you wanted reminds me of how i thought when i started using RMXP. I was disapointed at the very same thing but it didn't stop me from working with the engine since i don't think that events during battles is that important. I can do what is needed with Common Events and when an enemy reaches a sertain % of hp :P

May i ask. Have you worked with Warcraft III world editor? It just reminded me about it since WC3 World Editor has those commands you mentioned and it was becous of them i was missing the commands for RMXP. I was used to working with them :P
Just a random question to see if you thought the same way as i did :D

You can still make awesome things outside the battles. Even if the battle commands weren't exactly as you wanted there so much else that can be done!

EDIT: I'd recommend you play another RMXP game to see what more awesome things can be done! :D
Like i said in our chat, Lexima Legends IV created by Blizzard is awesome and can give you a BUNCH of ideas and inspiration!

P.S: The turorial is on the first replay i made :P

ForeverZer0

I don't understand this. The battle system is just a script. If you don't like it, either edit it, have someone else edit it, or use a completely different battle script altogether. All the settings in the database are just saved as Ruby objects, which are read by scripts, and are hence able to be altered beyond the limitations of the editor.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.