BumpTop VS Real Desktop: The Final Bout

Started by Blizzard, October 14, 2011, 02:48:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

October 14, 2011, 02:48:56 am Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 04:34:46 am by Blizzard
Ok, I tried Real Desktop and I am disappointed. While it looks nice and all, it doesn't even offer closely the usability from BumpTop. I got so used to being able to stack icons and resizing them with keyboard shortcuts quickly (honestly, I didn't even get to trying to resize them in Real Desktop, that's how quickly I got rid of it) that I don't want to lose these features. I also find it annoying that you have to use the right click for simple stuff like moving it into the Recycle Bin and that you often rotate the icons by accident and basically have to do some target practice until you can select an icon WITHOUT rotating (every other icon I touched, I rotated by accident). :/ It seems to have more options that BumpTop, especially for the visual aspects. But then again, most of these options are not really necessary. While BumpTop could use some more visual options like Real Desktop, it actually works just fine without them.

If you want it to look nice, use Real Desktop. If you want to use it (as in actual usability and organization), use BumpTop.

Note: This topic has been split off "Post your Desktop".
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Spaceman McConaughey

I honestly disagree with Real Desktop being a pain to use. It's the simplest type of these things I've used.
And about your recycling bin problem, not sure what you mean. I just drag stuff into it, and I'm good.

Blizzard

October 14, 2011, 02:53:37 am #2 Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 02:55:42 am by Blizzard
You have to drag and hold right click in order to "hover it above" the Recycle Bin so that you can drop it instead of just dragging it onto the Recycle Bin. It took me half a minute to figure out. I actually had to look it up in the Tutorial. Fail at intuitiveness.

Don't put words in my mouth, I didn't say it was a pain to use. It's clumsy at most. Have you used BumpTop to be able to compare?

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ryex

I'm going to have to agree. BumpTop is much more useable
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Spaceman McConaughey

Quote from: Blizzard on October 14, 2011, 02:53:37 am
You have to drag and hold right click in order to "hover it above" the Recycle Bin so that you can drop it instead of just dragging it onto the Recycle Bin. It took me half a minute to figure out. I actually had to look it up in the Tutorial. Fail at intuitiveness.

Don't put words in my mouth, I didn't say it was a pain to use. It's clumsy at most. Have you used BumpTop to be able to compare?

1. Not a fail in intuitiveness in my views.
2. I didn't put words in your mouth, it's just how I perceived your experience. So sorry that you made it come off as a pain to use.
3. Yup, used Bumptop. And for me, Real Desktop just happens to be better and more intuitive to use. Personal preference.
4. You're getting a little too defensive. All I did was point out how it's easier for ME to use, and you get hostile like in this post I quoted.

Blizzard

Quote1. Not a fail in intuitiveness in my views.

Holding two buttons vs. holding one button as all other desktops require you to. It's definitely less intuitive. In case you didn't know, intuitiveness:

Quote from: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/intuitivereadily learned or understood <software with an intuitive interface>

Holding two buttons to drag something onto something else is not readily learned or understood. Using only one button is.

QuoteSo sorry that you made it come off as a pain to use.

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to say. Did you put the sentence wrong together? Because this makes it sound that you are apologizing that I made it come off as a pain to use instead of apologizing that you didn't mean to say that I said it was a pain to use.

Quote3. Yup, used Bumptop. And for me, Real Desktop just happens to be better and more intuitive to use. Personal preference.

That's your choice. If you like it, you can use it. I said that I don't like it.

Quote4. You're getting a little too defensive. All I did was point out how it's easier for ME to use, and you get hostile like in this post I quoted.

You first say "defensive" and then "hostile". Make up your mind.
You shouldn't resort to personal attacks like this just because I disagree with you and don't allow you to push your opinion on me. I said that I didn't like it and you expanded on it as if I said that it was a bad program.

Spaceman McConaughey

October 14, 2011, 11:39:54 am #6 Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 11:46:20 am by Tuggernuts
Blizzard, I never did any personal attack at all. You're really taking it too far.

1. It's more intuitive for me, because I do not want to accidentally have one of my icons hit the recycling bin while I am slamming them all over the place and be annoyed with a dialogue asking me to delete something(it's been forever since I've used BumpTop, so I could be wrong. But from what you say, it sounds like it would do that).

2. I am not the best at wording things, I know I said this at some point. So whatever.

3. You're acting like I'm forcing my opinion on you. When did I?

4. I have seen plenty of people in my life get hostile while defensive, so do not even act like it's impossible.

5. I never resorted to personal attacks, at all. What are you seeing? Yes, I know you disagree, but I guess nobody is allowed to have an opinion on CP?
"I don't like this, so if anybody else says they like it after me, they are making personal attacks and disappointed I don't like it."
No, all I did was make, was say I liked it. Oh man, it's so bad, I am suddenly forcing my opinions down peoples throats.
Also, just an FYI: Pain to use(which you honestly made it come off as, I am sorry, you did) does not amount to a bad program, so I do not know where you got that last bit from.

Blizzard

Spaceman McConaughey

Yeah, whatever, dude. I am not really in the mood for a post of mine to have its meaning completely twisted and distorted.

Blizzard

Spaceman McConaughey

October 14, 2011, 08:05:36 pm #10 Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 08:58:13 pm by ForeverZer0
*removed*

Vaginas.

* Added *

I don't like them.

ForeverZer0

Split topic since the debate was getting a little long-winded to remain in the "Post Your Desktop" thread.

* Reads Tugger's post *

:whistle:
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Spaceman McConaughey

No, I do love them. My hentai folder(s) says otherwise.