Kuffdam feat. Grant Paterson - We Gotta Go (Again) (Blizzard Remix)

Started by Blizzard, October 18, 2011, 05:03:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

I am entering the "Kuffdam - We Gotta Go (Again)" remix contest which has a deadline this Sunday. I've got some pretty good stuff done today so I wanted to show off a bit my work in progress. :D

- LINK REMOVED -

The structure is just there for testing, I'm gonna change quite a bit of this. I will also include several samples from the original such as the vocals. Expect the song to be done during his weekend.

EDIT: Here's a work-in-progress demo of the current state. I still have lots of things to do until it's done.

- LINK REMOVED -

EDIT: Here is the finished version.

- LINK REMOVED -

This is the 99% finished version. I might fix a few things tomorrow before I submit it on Sunday. The deadline is in 48 hours. I'd appreciate any feedback on how to make the song better. I want to win this contest, because I know that I have what it takes. >:3

EDIT:

- LINK REMOVED -

Make sure you download the new version since the link is the same (I have changed the old link). The new version is barely over 5 minutes while the first one was about 5:40.

EDIT: Here is the final mastered version. I will remove it soon from the server. Get it while you can.

Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

ForeverZer0

I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

MarkHest

Blizzard

Man, this bassline is so awesome. <3 I can't stop listening to it.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Blizzard

*double posts*

Here's a work-in-progress demo of the current state. I still have lots of things to do until it's done.

Kuffdam - We Gotta Go (Again) (Blizzard Remix) (W.I.P. Demo)

Blizzard

October 21, 2011, 05:43:33 pm #5 Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 05:59:51 pm by Blizzard
*triple posts*

Here is the finished version.

Kuffdam - We Gotta Go (Again) (Blizzard Remix)

This is the 99% finished version. I might fix a few things tomorrow before I submit it on Sunday. The deadline is in 48 hours. I'd appreciate any feedback on how to make the song better. I want to win this contest, because I know that I have what it takes. >:3

Ryex

I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

winkio

So terribly repetitive, which is a pity since some parts of it have potential to be amazing.

Blizzard

That's electronic music for you, what can I say.

winkio

Eh, that's your choice, you don't have to make it super repetitive, but it appears that you want to.

Spaceman McConaughey

Blizzard

October 21, 2011, 08:00:40 pm #11 Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 08:04:55 pm by Blizzard
Quote from: winkio on October 21, 2011, 07:38:40 pm
Eh, that's your choice, you don't have to make it super repetitive, but it appears that you want to.

And that's your opinion, not a fact.

EDIT: When I think about it, it's kinda funny how there are certain melodic constructs that aren't repetitive in structure, but if you actually play them and listen to them, they sound repetitive. I guess that's why I prefer using melodies of an 8 tact length (as opposed to the 4 tact melody I had to use for this remix). I supposed "arpeggiator" sounds just have that kind of effect.

winkio

I know it's an opinion and not a fact, why is that important?  Are you saying that my opinions don't at all matter?

If you make a song that repeats the same 8 bar melodic construct 16 times in a row with only minute variations, I think it's a loss of potential.  You could have only repeated it two or four times with minute variations, and then either used a different melody or created more interesting variations for the other 12 or 14 repetitions.  It honestly seems like you are holding your musical creativity back.

Spaceman McConaughey

* Tuggernuts jiggles his droopy balls in winkio's face while listening to the sexy song

Blizzard

October 22, 2011, 06:06:53 am #14 Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 06:13:57 am by Blizzard
Lol, no, winkio. I value your opinion and you are actually completely right with every single thing that you are saying. It's just that I'm on a deadline and I spent a lot of time trying to make those vocals work somehow. They are well recorded, but completely arrhythmic. I basically saw it that I had to build a song around those vocals and the main melody. I basically threw out most complex ideas out of the window since I wanted it to be a remix and not too different from original song. I still wanted some variation around so I put in some stuff here and there which sounds good, but that's only patching instead of fixing the problem at the core.

Today is a new day. Listening to the song right now, after sleeping it over, I can hear the repetition a lot better and the parts that are stretching out unnecessarily. I wanted to keep some of the "charm" of the original, but I didn't do it too well. I've worked all day yesterday on it and I seriously couldn't recognize any general repetition, because everything was repetitive to me yesterday. That always happens so I didn't think too much about it. I have 36 hours left before I have to submit the song. I will try to do a couple of things to the song today to see if I can change some things and make it sound better and less repetitive. One of the cores of the repetition is the beat and the simple melodies I used without variation. In other songs I fix these things by turning off stuff here and there and it sounds less repetitive, but in this one I wasn't able to it smoothly.

Blizzard

October 22, 2011, 11:52:12 am #15 Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 11:55:18 am by Blizzard
*double posts again*

Alright, here is what I did. I took the repetitive pieces and changed them. Now the bassline repeats after 4 tacts instead of almost 2 bars (actually it was 2 tacts, with slight variations every 2 bars). The beat is also slightly changed just to extend the feeling of 4 tact music. I also changed the pad melody with the background "sparkle" to have more variation in the notes. It's not much, but it's noticable.
I have thrown out the second intermezzo and instead incorporated the vocals a little bit more into the song where it was possible. It's not perfect, but it seems to work. I have also added more variation during the transitions to be "surprising" at moments instead of getting the expected. Generally not much has changed, but it might be just enough to get out of the monotony, because the repetition in this song is actually subtle. I've also tried shortening the part in the intro, but every combination sounded waaaaay too rushed so I gave up on that and basically left it as it is.
Again, the repetition in the song was subtle. Let's see if I was able to remove enough of it for it to sound better.

Kuffdam - We Gotta Go (Again) (Blizzard Remix)

Make sure you download the new version since the link is the same. The new version is barely over 5 minutes while the first one was about 5:40.

I'd appreciate some more feedback on this.

30 hours left.

winkio

I think it sounds a lot better, definitely less repetitive, even though it essentially has the same components, which is good :)  One thing I'd recommend, but I don't know if it is possible in a reasonable amount of time, is making an instrument that harmonizes directly with the vocals.  The vocal sections still sound a bit empty, so having an instrument that augments that section and brings out the rhythms would be nice.

Blizzard

October 22, 2011, 01:30:59 pm #17 Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 01:33:08 pm by Blizzard
The vocals are spread across several notes around G#, it won't work that easily. xD I might sit down tomorrow and give it a shot. I'd like it to sound better as well, it just seems a little bit off the whole time. #_# I'll try FL's "Pitcher" plugin, maybe it can adjust the vocals to the song rather than adjusting the whole song to the vocals. I might even try to do something with the equalizers to bring out the voice just a little bit more. Right now it kinda sounds like the song and the vocals are fighting each other at some points (which is why I avoided mixing the vocals with the rest of the song).

Blizzard

*double posts again*

Here is the final mastered version. I will remove it soon from the server. Get it while you can.