Linux + Windows Partition Setup

Started by Narzew, October 28, 2011, 06:40:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Narzew

What size of partitions i want set to get optimal values for linux and windows?
I use disc 160gb.
Current settings
100gb - wieows
60gb - linux
Please fix my english!
More scripts & Art - informatykaplus.cba.pl
I'm a scripter.

ForeverZer0

There isn't really an "optimal".  You obviously want to be comfortably over the minimum requirements, but other than that, its really only about what you want to do with them. I only use 10 GB for my Ubuntu partition, which is more than enough for me. The Windows partition is where I store most of stuff.   
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Narzew

Please fix my english!
More scripts & Art - informatykaplus.cba.pl
I'm a scripter.

Fantasist

October 29, 2011, 04:08:46 am #3 Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 04:10:19 am by Fantasist
Yeah, I use 10 for Linux too. Anyway, here's my recommendation:

Divide into 3 partitions:
C:\ 40 GB for installing Windows
D:\ 100 GB NTFS for storing your data
Unpartitioned space 20 GB, for installing Linux

Install Windows in C and use D for storing all your data. That takes up 140 GB, leaving you with 20 GB of unpartitioned space. I suggest you leave this space unpartitioned because it'll make it easier to install your Linux OS (there's normally an option to "Install the OS in unpartioned space").

Of course, when I say 40GB, 100GB and 20GB, I don't mean it exactly. Use 35-36GB for C, 95-96 GB for D. This is because you will have less than 160 GB (My 500 GB hard disk has only 475 GB of usable space)

EDIT: Of course, I don't you need 20 GB for your Linux OS, because you can view and write to NTFS partitions from most Linux based distros, letting you use that space for storing data.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews