[XP]New Editor - By me ;)

Started by newold, November 01, 2011, 12:36:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

newold

Hello to everyone. I've started a new project to recreate / extend the editor that comes with the RPG Maker XP. This Editor is done completely on RGSS (interested in the source code, ask me by private and give you the link where it is posted).

Everything is in Spanish but you can also download and try it. I need translators to translate it into English. I also need scripters interested in joining the project and provide ideas).

To test the editor, download the file and unzip it. Copy the file 'New Editor.exe' to your project (you should make a backup before this step). The editor 'RPG MAKER XP' must be closed to run the 'New Editor.exe'. Then, run the file 'New Editor.exe' to test the editor (The current version of the editor is Alpha 0.3)

You can download my Editor from:

Megaupload: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9489MAFU

Mediafire: http://www.mediafire.com/?9rbllqa2d5a816h

Others Servers: http://www.multiupload.com/87GIJZKWVT

Preview Video

PS: Post translated into English from google translator.

Sorry for grammatical errors;)

If you find a bug post it so I can fix it, thanks ;)

G_G

Very cool. 4 of the staff members here at Chaos Project are already making their very own RPG Maker. If you wanna check it out, go here.
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/board,68.0.html

Fenriswolf

Hello newold,

I noticed you were looking for people to translate your editor.

I would like to help you with that :)
If it's of any relevance, I have achieved the highest degree of English last year.

Greetings,
Fenriswolf

newold

November 02, 2011, 04:52:54 am #3 Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 04:57:42 am by newold
Quote from: game_guy on November 01, 2011, 04:52:02 pm
Very cool. 4 of the staff members here at Chaos Project are already making their very own RPG Maker. If you wanna check it out, go here.
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/board,68.0.html

I know that editor, and it is very cool. The mine is entirely made ​​in RGSS and it is only a database editor with extra options vs original database editor, so many scripters who do not know 'C' like me, but they dominate RGSS, can help make the 'New Editor' something big:) with new options. Instead, my editor will be slower to process the data because RGSS when working with arrays of more than 3000 data begins to slow. Yet the editor is quite manageable and with every new release, I optimize it a bit more

Quote from: Fenriswolf on November 01, 2011, 05:47:53 pm
Hello newold,

I noticed you were looking for people to translate your editor.

I would like to help you with that :)
If it's of any relevance, I have achieved the highest degree of English last year.

Greetings,
Fenriswolf

If you want, i send you a text file with all words and phrases used in the editor in spanish and you can translate it into english ;)
(this file is format as ID1::Content Line 1
Content Line 2
Content Line 3
Content Line n
ID2::Content Line 1
Content Line 2
Content Line 3
Content Line n
... and so. You must follow the format of the lines ID:: Content, and in multi-line texts you can keep the same lines and / or add or remove lines if you wish and the translated text required,).

PS: The text file is not complete, so you could go translating all the text that is now and when there is more texts, I will pass the new copy of the text file so you could continue translating.)

Fantasist

Wow. Kudos for actually completing it newold o.o *levels up*
I'll check it out.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Fenriswolf

Quote from: newold on November 02, 2011, 04:52:54 am
If you want, i send you a text file with all words and phrases used in the editor in spanish and you can translate it into english ;)
(this file is format as ID1::Content Line 1
Content Line 2
Content Line 3
Content Line n
ID2::Content Line 1
Content Line 2
Content Line 3
Content Line n
... and so. You must follow the format of the lines ID:: Content, and in multi-line texts you can keep the same lines and / or add or remove lines if you wish and the translated text required,).

PS: The text file is not complete, so you could go translating all the text that is now and when there is more texts, I will pass the new copy of the text file so you could continue translating.)

A hold on, I forgot that I don't know any Spanish xD
What I could do, is fix up the English you've managed to get from Google Translate, should provide the same result.
If that's ok with you, then you can send me the text file :)

winkio

I am a native English speaker and also a fluent Spanish speaker (I took Spanish classes for 7 years throughout middle and high school).  Just offering my help if you need it.

Fantasist

November 02, 2011, 11:09:31 am #7 Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 11:10:49 am by Fantasist
I checked it out. Items, weapons, amour, enemies, states and attributes don't seem to work. But my God, awesome job so far! What is the framerate you're using, btw? Increasing FPS to 60 might improve things.
Do you have any plans for a plugin system? You know, for other scripters to add the configuration options for their scripts to the editor?

Spoiler: ShowHide
I strongly implore you to switch to C# while you can. I made an app using MS Visual C# long ago and it only took a little while to understand everything after my experience with RGSS. I'm sure other experienced coders here like Zer0, Ryex, winkio and Blizzard know all about the aspects of making an editor (like understanding the Marshal format to load objects and what not), so you have people who know how to do it to teach you. Hell, Blizzard even made a configurator for Blizz-ABS (I wonder if he put up the source code?). All in all, making programs in C# is relatively easy. If you want to make a switch, now's the time. I apologize for saying all this when you're clearly set on doing this using RGSS, but I just couldn't help myself. This has great potential and I would love to see this as a proper Windows app. I won't bother you with this again, so there. :)
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

Magus

@Winkio
7 years!!? Damn. Please, by all means, accept his help.
LEVEL ME DOWN. THE ANTI-BLIZZ GROUP IS AMONG YOU... Do it for the chick below...She watches..<br />

newold

November 02, 2011, 11:38:16 am #9 Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 12:01:36 pm by newold
Quote from: Fantasist on November 02, 2011, 11:09:31 am
I checked it out. Items, weapons, amour, enemies, states and attributes don't seem to work. But my God, awesome job so far! What is the framerate you're using, btw? Increasing FPS to 60 might improve things.
Do you have any plans for a plugin system? You know, for other scripters to add the configuration options for their scripts to the editor?

I strongly implore you to switch to C# while you can. I made an app using MS Visual C# long ago and it only took a little while to understand everything after my experience with RGSS. I'm sure other experienced coders here like Zer0, Ryex, winkio and Blizzard know all about the aspects of making an editor (like understanding the Marshal format to load objects and what not), so you have people who know how to do it to teach you. Hell, Blizzard even made a configurator for Blizz-ABS (I wonder if he put up the source code?). All in all, making programs in C# is relatively easy. If you want to make a switch, now's the time. I apologize for saying all this when you're clearly set on doing this using RGSS, but I just couldn't help myself. This has great potential and I would love to see this as a proper Windows app. I won't bother you with this again, so there. :)

The framerate is set to 75. Only the first three tabs are working, because the others are not scripted (only have basic code);)

Tab control can have very much tabs for support plugings and more options. The source code is available for those who want. The code is divided into different files .rb, One for tab in Tab Control so you can add more scripts (plugings) easily. (Ask me for the source code). Each tab is loaded only when needed, so the form is being created as you press the tabs (that eases the initial load)

regarding the spoiler

If I knew how to read the data as marshal in C and display graphics in C (RGSS is very easy but I do not know how to display graphics in C) In addition, having to declare each 'variable' and 'variable type' in C I find it hard to get used to that. and another problem: My English is basic, and try to understand the explanations Zer0, Ryex, winkie and Blizzard can give me using the litte i Know in English and the translator google is not very wise:). But I want to learn C;) Meanwhile, this project will follow up in RGSS

I have visual studio 2010, i can create proyect c# - Window Form. i know build form, but i dont know read marshal ruby file, tables, arrays, hash from ruby and dont know create graphics in this aplication. In my editor RGSS i build a curve generator for actor param but i dont know how build this generator in c# form :)

ForeverZer0

Quote from: newold on November 02, 2011, 11:38:16 am
I have visual studio 2010, i can create proyect c# - Window Form. i know build form, but i dont know read marshal ruby file, tables, arrays, hash from ruby and dont know create graphics in this aplication. In my editor RGSS i build a curve generator for actor param but i dont know how build this generator in c# form :)[/spoiler]

Check out IronRuby, its a NET based version of Ruby that has built-in functions for Marshal, etc. The only problem I have encountered is the Zlib library is incompatible. It can decompress just fine, but standard Ruby cannot read data that is compressed with it. I may realease the source code for Gemini, the RMXP/RMVX script editor I made. You can see some useful examples on how to interface Ruby and C# together in a Window's form.

On another note, don't set the framerate above 60. The vast majority of monitors out there don't have a refresh rate higher than 60 Hz, so it is useless to have it higher than that.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

newold

I would like to see the source code of Gemini. I've been testing the IronRuby a few minutes) but I have not found the help of it and when I create a WinForms project with IronRuby I can not create a visual form, just to code, and I dont know which code to use to create each control the form and position in the window. I saw also that the IronRuby project does not have auto-complete feature implemented: (

Also if Zlib is not working properly, I can not compress anything:)

And the last problem, how I can I use sprites in the form without the module Sprite from RGSS (animated and static sprites as actors or icons)?

PS: I've put the framerate to 60;)

ForeverZer0

Visual Studio does not have a form-builder for IronRuby as it does for C#, etc. An alternative is SharpDevelop, which is much like Visual Studio, except it supports form building in the editor. Either way, this isn't what I meant to do with IronRuby. I meant that you create your application in C#, and then use IronRuby's interface to do some things that need done in Ruby, such as reading Marshal format, which is really all you need. Just have IronRuby load the RPG module into memory, and from there you have the ability to create Ruby objects that can interact with C# ones. As for the code completion, I really don't know about that, mine seems to work fine, so I can't be of much help there.

As for the Sprite class, there are native libraries in .NET that you can get the same result from. The Sprite class in RMXP is written in C and interfaced with Ruby, so either way you're really not going to be able to use it without creating your own or using an existing library. I don't really know how much need of the Sprite class you need in an editor anyways.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Fantasist

@newold: I'm interested in the source code. Could you PM me? Thanks :)

Ryex

Hot Dam, that is impressive. writing the GUI interface alone is proof that your talented. When I wrote the Mouse Window API for remexos that we released publicly it wasn't half this skilled.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

newold

I will definitely continue building the Editor by encoding it in RGSS because C exceeds my limits right now XD

Fantasist

Quote from: Ryex on November 03, 2011, 12:40:28 pm
Hot Dam, that is impressive. writing the GUI interface alone is proof that your talented.

Not to mention industrious. I'd have given up half way through the process xD

Quote from: newold on November 03, 2011, 01:18:24 pm
I will definitely continue building the Editor by encoding it in RGSS because C exceeds my limits right now XD

haha, I understand, really. There are a few ideas I have too, but I'm going to learn to implement them using C# or Qt, being a computer engineer and all. I really don't have an excuse otherwise >.<

Fenriswolf

The English has been fixed and I've PM'ed you the file ;)