[RESOLVED] event help

Started by Torque, June 18, 2008, 12:13:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Torque

June 18, 2008, 12:13:04 am Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 09:45:02 pm by Blizzard
Can someone tell me why the game freezes whenever i use auto run
on RPG maker XP it's annoying and makes me want to burn my computer
and the same thing happens with parallel proccess too...
oh and whenever i use event touch the event wont work unless the player touches it
!!!GGGRRRAAAAH!!!

im very pissed off and impatient now...

Aqua

Autorun freezes all movement until the event is over either by a switch or an erase event command.  It's mostly used for cut scenes.

I dunno why your parallel process freezes the game... but be your eventing.

Event touch activates when either the event or the player touches it.  Do you mean it doesn't work even when the event touches the player?

And... it would be helpful if you post a screenie of the event that this happens to.

Torque

June 18, 2008, 12:22:31 am #2 Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 12:24:37 am by Torque
Okay thanks aqua   :D

um yeah i never use parallel process cause it won't work
                ...probably just me...

as for event touch... if i set that as the trigger the event wont work even if i set an event to touch it

oh and i don't know how to do a screen shot still trying ta figure that out :P

Starrodkirby86

June 18, 2008, 12:23:46 am #3 Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 12:24:41 am by Starrodkirby86
Aqua basically said it all, but I'll just fill in too. Because I want spotlight...stop taking the limelight. >.<

Don't use Auto-Start/Auto-Run unless you want the player to not be able to move. If you do though, set a New Page requiring a certain switch to be on (Pages are sort of more advanced [Not really but still], so you don't NEED to use them, though that's the easiest way to get out of Auto-Start)

Parallel Process automatically runs the Event too, but the player can move. It's perfect for Weather effects, such as Lightning. Or it's perfect for trying to force some ambient vibe, such as Hue effects.

Collision will make sure the Event runs when the player and the event are adjacent to each other at any moment (Excluding diagonal).

Hero Touch will make the Event run when the player runs up to the event or is on the event space (If the Event is "Below the Hero")

Push Key will make the Event run if player uses the standard Select Key on the Keyboard (Space, Enter, etc.)

I don't remember the XP terms, this may even be the bad translation, but it's been what I've stuck to. ^^

---

If you know what those are already and you mean the other freeze like the game crashes, then oh carp!

EDIT: Torque, press Print Screen in game and go to Paint or any other Image Editor and press Paste or Ctrl + V. For maximum effects, press Print Screen when the game is at Full Screen. If you want Print Screen regularly like in the editor, just press it.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Aqua

Event Touch only works with the Player touching the Event or the Event touching the Player.
Not the Event touching another Event.

Torque

Oh... lol okay
i got it wrong
i thought it meant that another event is supposed to touch it

oh and thanks starrodkirby i didnt know it worked diagonal aswell

Aqua

Star said excluding diagonal... meaning it doesn't work o.o

Torque

oh.... i seem to be really switched off today
i accidently called my girlfriend my dogs name too

Starrodkirby86

Quote from: Torque on June 18, 2008, 12:32:30 am
Oh... lol okay
i got it wrong
i thought it meant that another event is supposed to touch it

oh and thanks starrodkirby i didnt know it worked diagonal aswell
Having another event trigger another event is a lot more hard work, at least, what I can recall. I really dislike how RPG Maker doesn't have that...but oh well. There's a way to do so, but it'll cost more advanced event work. XD

Quote from: Aqua on June 18, 2008, 12:34:15 am
Star said excluding diagonal... meaning it doesn't work o.o
That makes it look mean! D:

*Slaps Aqua* Bad Aqua! Don't be so mean to him! :V :V :V

I felt like a big man! :D (<-Is completely random but it relates to the previous statements, you can see why)

Quote from: Torque on June 18, 2008, 12:36:37 am
oh.... i seem to be really switched off today
i accidently called my girlfriend my dogs name too
It's the summer...that's natural. Calling your girlfriend your dog's name isn't though...that's just an absent mindedness problem...but that is rather humorous. :D

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!

Aqua

Uh oh... hopefully she didn't get mad.

Getting an event to trigger when another event passes it requires those two events, another event this is parallel process, and 4 variables determining map x and map y of those two events... and some eventing. :)

Torque

wow i got alot of the word "event" in that post
but i understood what you said... i hate events
do ya think its possible that a game could be written with a script instead of anything else... like one big game script

oh and um lol its winter where i am yet its boiling hot

Starrodkirby86

Quote from: Torque on June 18, 2008, 12:42:57 am
wow i got alot of the word "event" in that post
but i understood what you said... i hate events
do ya think its possible that a game could be written with a script instead of anything else... like one big game script

oh and um lol its winter where i am yet its boiling hot

1) A script should be possible, but it's really laborious doing that (It's a LOT more work than eventing). The effects you can make with a script will be flabbergasting, but you need total command of the Ruby language. At least I think.

2) Thank Global Warming and the hypocrisy of Al Gore for that. :P

POOR KOALAS!!! T_T

Phasedscar

The reason you might be getting a freeze on a parallel event is because you're not throttling it.  All that means is that if you want your event to loop, you need to put in a Wait: 1 frames command so that it doesn't run as fast as your processor and memory are capable of, and then freeze because they're being overworked.

Anyway, I'm going to break down most of everything you'll need to work with events as best I can.

Trigger Processes

• Action Button:  This means it will activate when the player presses the activation button, which is enter by default.

• Player Touch:  This causes the event to activate when the player becomes ajacent to the event, meaning just above, below, left or right of it.  Very useful for events you want to trigger without the player knowing it, or for things like chasing someone around.

• Event Touch:  Causes the event to run if you have another event touch it, kind of cool for minigames and things like that, but overall I don't use it too often.

• Autorun:  Automatically runs the event and stops all processes from the player, you MUST either use the Erase Event subcommand, or add another page to the event and have a Local Switch activate it.  I'll explain this better in a minute.

• Parallel Process:  Automatically runs the event.  This will run all the commands in the event as fast as possible, so even if you're using this for atmosphere be sure to throttle it.  It's generally a good idea to throttle it anyway to keep your computer from bursting into flame!

Ok, there's really no better way to explain that, the rest is basically how you use it.  So now I'm going to let you in on a few of the basic commands.

• Show Text / Show Choice:  Show text just opens a standard message window to display your text.  This is probably one of the most used processes in RMXP since it's what you'll use to make your story.  Show choice allows you to give up to 4 choices for the player in your game, mainly this is for yes/no questions which RMXP has set up as a default when you use it.

• Conditional Branch:  Basically this is a "if, then, else" statement.  Meaning that, say IF you have 400 gold, THEN the next process will run, ELSE another process will run.  These are extremely useful in making some cool things happen with events, since they will allow you to use items, character level, variables, switches, and a few other things in order to make the THEN statements.

• Control Variable, Control Switch, Control Self Switch:  These are THE most important processes.  Controlling Variables allows for a lot of things, like seeing a player's/event's XY positions on the map, keeping track of how much money you have (useful for making banks) and so on.  You can also use them to make things like on map regen for health or mana. 
    Control Switches are the next most important.  With these you can change how OTHER events function.  In other words you can have one event activate others, or turn a whole bunch of others off.  For example if you visit a town earlier in your game, and you come back and you need someone to die, you can use a switch command to change who a bunch of other events act.
    Control Self Switch is like Control Switches, but works on the on the event your working with.  What's good about these is you don't need to make a new Switch for the event.  Extremely useful for ending Autorun events, or for making treasure chests.

• Wait:  This is a powerful tool, wait commands pause the event for a set durration of time.  RMXP does it by using frames instead of seconds, this is to keep it more consistant with how quickly your game runs (possible lag if you have a lot going on at once).  20 frames is about 1 second.  For most parallel events that you want to run continuously to do checks on say your level, set this to just 1 frame.

• Erase Event:  I normally don't use this very often, but it's especially good at taking events off the map.  But usually you can use a self switch or a regular switch to do the same thing.  The difference is, this is a better option for getting rid of the event as a whole.  Good for things like objects you distroy, making walls dissapear, things of that sort.

Anyway, once you get used to using those, the rest comes easy.  Take your time with the scripting and just test it until it works properly.  And I hope that was helpful in some way lol.
Spoiler: ShowHide
My own game project & My resource workshop! (respectively)
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=608.0 http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=682.0

What that is? Affection area for flails. - Blizz-ABS, the ultimate ABS

The pictures in your signature may altogether be no more than 200kB. The height must not exceed 200 px and the width must not exceed 800 px. Altogether they may take up an area of 160000 px2. Every signature not matching this criteria is a subject of the moderator team to remove and leave this rule as message in your signature.

Calintz

I wish to one day be the first person to read a topic and be that guy who can help...I'm always too late though...*sigh*

Torque

You can still help calintz...

pleeeease

im trying to learn as much as i can about eventing
im pretty bad at it

oh and @phasedscar yup it was very helpful alot of that stuff i didn't know
such as variables

Sally

im jst a pro eventer.. i suck at teaching :( seeing as i tought myself...i dont know how people learn th ings kuz i always teach mysel fevryhitng :( srry

Calintz

Quote from: Susys on June 19, 2008, 09:27:22 pm
im jst a pro eventer.. i suck at teaching :( seeing as i tought myself...i dont know how people learn th ings kuz i always teach mysel fevryhitng :( srry

I know what you mean.

Starrodkirby86

Quote from: Torque on June 18, 2008, 10:54:50 pm
You can still help calintz...

pleeeease

im trying to learn as much as i can about eventing
im pretty bad at it

oh and @phasedscar yup it was very helpful alot of that stuff i didn't know
such as variables
I made a very (Not?) useful tutorial on Variables. It's posted on an alternate site I go to. To sum it up though, variables are very important for a game...since they hold value you can do various things with it. :3

My best advice for eventing is to experiment. I know this may sound harsh, but if it's your first project, use new techniques with Eventing and think. It's like commands or a puzzle. Then once you're done, trash your first game (Don't delete it, just hide it from us) and make a new game using your attained skills. ^^

Phasedscar

Quote from: Starrodkirby86 on July 02, 2008, 11:20:48 pm
I made a very (Not?) useful tutorial on Variables. It's posted on an alternate site I go to. To sum it up though, variables are very important for a game...since they hold value you can do various things with it. :3

My best advice for eventing is to experiment. I know this may sound harsh, but if it's your first project, use new techniques with Eventing and think. It's like commands or a puzzle. Then once you're done, trash your first game (Don't delete it, just hide it from us) and make a new game using your attained skills. ^^

Yup, the best way to learn is to just try things out.  There's still a lot of neat things I'm learning in eventing (though I've gotten exceedingly good at it) that just takes experience.  My advice is, start with simple things first, like just making a short cut sceene.  Or a shop that lets you buy different things using the Show Choice command.  It's all about trial and error and no matter how much reading you do, you still wont quite get the grasp of it unless you practice with it.

Really, it's nothing to be ashamed of or anything like that, we've all had to learn how to event by practicing it.
Spoiler: ShowHide
My own game project & My resource workshop! (respectively)
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=608.0 http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=682.0

What that is? Affection area for flails. - Blizz-ABS, the ultimate ABS

The pictures in your signature may altogether be no more than 200kB. The height must not exceed 200 px and the width must not exceed 800 px. Altogether they may take up an area of 160000 px2. Every signature not matching this criteria is a subject of the moderator team to remove and leave this rule as message in your signature.

magic2345

Quote from: Phasedscar on June 18, 2008, 04:48:40 am
    • Erase Event:  I normally don't use this very often, but it's especially good at taking events off the map.  But usually you can use a self switch or a regular switch to do the same thing.  The difference is, this is a better option for getting rid of the event as a whole.  Good for things like objects you distroy, making walls dissapear, things of that sort.

Phasedscar you forgot to mention that when you use the Erase Event command, the event will vanish as long as you remain on that map. But if you go to another map and then go back to the map that has the Erase Event command, the event will be there again.
    "The world is not beautiful, therefore it is." -Kino's Journey

"Hm...What would uncle say?....
    Life is like the clouds, it has two sides and a silverlining inbetween...Like a sandwich!! When life is hard, you take a bite out of the silverlining...."
    -Zuko
    Characters : 3%
    Mapping : 1%
    Graphics : 3%
    Scripts : 20%