Need help with new PC parts - Do they fit with eachother?

Started by stripe103, November 13, 2011, 01:08:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

stripe103

Hello there Chaos.

I need help with some new part I'm going to buy for my PC. Well, I need help with knowing if the power connectors are enough.

I'm going to buy a ASUS Sabertooth 990FX motherboard for my PC since it is a bit hard to put a AMD processor in a Intel socket.
This motherboard need one 24-pin EATX and one 8-pin ATX 12V power connectors, but my current motherboard and power supply only have one
24-pin and one 4-pin, so I don't know if it will work or if I need a new power supply.
The current power supply is on 450W if that is needed.

Regards
Stripe103

Fantasist

Quoteone 8-pin ATX 12V

Quoteone 4-pin

So I'm guessing you'll need to upgrade your PSU. If you had 2 of those 12V 4pin connectors, maybe there's a 4pin to 8pin converter available. I honestly don't know.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

stripe103

Checked around some, there is a adapter that is from ATX12V 4-pin to EPS12V 8-pin. I don't know if this is the same as ATX12V 8-pin though.
I also found almost the same question on another forum and there was a member that said that those last 4 pins usually don't matter unless you want to overclock(is it called that?) your CPU, but I don't know.

Fantasist

Sorry, I'm not very familiar with the details :shy:
Do you plan to overclock (your CPU/RAM/GPU) ?
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

stripe103

Fantasist

Good. They offer no considerable practical benefit anyway. So yeah, good luck with your upgrade. :)

stripe103