Remember, remember the 5th of Nov-Please shut up-

Started by Power Hungry Midget, November 05, 2011, 03:47:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Power Hungry Midget

November 05, 2011, 03:47:54 pm Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 03:53:24 pm by Power Hungry Midget
I kind of have a rant lined up because I see people on Facebook and Tumblr posting "Remember remember the 5th of november... et cetera". It really gets at me because clearly some people don't understand what Guy Fawkes was. I know V for Vendetta popularised the mask but the whole reference was that V blows up the parliament building in London.

Why are people remembering a terrorist Catholic plot to assasinate a protestant king. I'm an atheist but it makes you look like retards. V wore a Guy Fawkes mask because he was fighting against the government like Guy Fawkes. V blows up the parliament. If you want to represent terrorism and killing people. Then great, creds to you but maybe you should sit the fuck down, stop being children and stop idolizing anarchy and violence. Like seriously get to grips with what you're endorsing. Also, Occupy movement, ditch the masks as well or tell Anonymous get lost, when you buy those masks you're fueling the "evil" capitalist machine that you're protesting, you're plastic mask was made by some underpaid worker who's mistreated and forced to work in dreadful conditions. Take a deeper look at what you're actually representing and endorsing and make sure you're not contradicting yourself. And it just annoys me that something which represents an attempted murder, a lot of people would've died and that bothers me, especially as someone who tries to practice ahimsa or non-harm, this extends to my veganism but that's another argument. Especially since Anonymous protest people who are religious, namely scientologists without realising the irony of their situations, they're wearing a mask of someone who attempted to kill people for his religion. And I really can't stand Anonymous, they're chaos and destruction and burning hatred of society and order masquerading as freedom fighters or a force of good, yeah I agree with them on some things but the way they treat normal people disgusts me. It's a leaderless movement full of idiots.

V for Vendetta is one of my favourite graphic novels and films but I don't view V as the hero. And it doesn't make you cool it makes you look like you're part of a flock of black sheep.

The plot thickens......

I have a mind to join a club and then beat you over the head with it.
     -Groucho Marx
I often quote myself. I find it adds spice to the conversation.
     -George Bernard Shaw

http://xkcd.com/303

Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.
    -Oscar Wilde

winkio

People support the idea of revolution, not the idea of killing people.  It's really not that complicated.  Also, if you are talking about V for Vendetta, I see V as a hero because he liberates people from the regime that killed hundreds of thousands of them just a few years before with bioterrorism.  Being a revolutionary is good, saving people is good, and that's why people like V for Vendetta, and November 5th.  They are not celebrating Guy Fawkes, or the historical event associated with November 5th in much the same way that Christians do not celebrate the winter solstice on Christmas Day.

In other words, why do you even care so much?  Why do you feel the need to antagonize others over some meaningless 5th of November bullshit?

Power Hungry Midget

Well he doesn't really liberate them. And yeah I support change, we need change but idolising violence is not the way. And for me it symbolizes violence and the use of violence and just because I don't think he's a hero doesn't mean I don't think he was on the right side, I just refuse to recognise a killer as a hero.

In other words, it upsets when people don't understand things and think revolution=cool and let's go blow stuff up and it irritates when people think they're somehow doing something about the issues we're and I like to vent my feelings. It makes me feel less angry. And maybe you disagree. I'm not antagonising anyone, I was perhaps a little angrier when I typed that post. And yeah I see where you're coming from and you probably support violence as a tool of liberation but I don't. I do believe in non-violent resistance and trying to change things without hurting people and yeah it does seem like a very naive perspective to have on life and you can say that people die in conflict and that's just it, but I don't want to be a part of that and it sort of makes me worry that people are becoming revolutionary for the wrong reason. I'm interested in your opinion. This is intelligent debate and I'm sorry if I came off as antagonistic or aggressive.

The plot thickens......

I have a mind to join a club and then beat you over the head with it.
     -Groucho Marx
I often quote myself. I find it adds spice to the conversation.
     -George Bernard Shaw

http://xkcd.com/303

Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.
    -Oscar Wilde

ForeverZer0

Blowing idea of blowing up Parliament is obviously not for the act of killing people. Its a symbolic gesture of the downfall of tyranny by destroying a building that is a symbol of it. When Suddam Hussein's statue was pulled down in Iraq a few years ago, it was not because they disliked the aesthetics of statue.

Pretty much every "revolution" that occurs is a revolution because non-violent ways didn't work. Its pretty naive to look down your nose at a man who led such a revolution. I am not saying I am in support of blowing up Parliament or anything crazy like that, nor am I saying that I am in support of any type of violent uprising in England, but there is a time and place for it. The world would be a much different place if people did not rise against their oppressors, so I don't think its very mature to simple brush off anyone who is in or supports any such movement as an "movement full of idiots".
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

winkio

Killing has been a necessary action since life began on this planet.  What do you think would happen if your body decided not to kill harmful foreign bodies?  You wouldn't have an immune system.  You would die yourself from sickness very soon.

Killing isn't something that should be taken lightly, but you can't be so naive as to think that it is never necessary.

Ryex

November 05, 2011, 08:49:17 pm #5 Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 08:50:51 pm by Ryex
Quote from: winkio on November 05, 2011, 07:55:56 pm
Killing isn't something that should be taken lightly, but you can't be so naive as to think that it is never necessary.

Quoted for the distilled truth in this statement.

Death is an absolute in this world. Everyone, and everything has a time and a place to die. Governments, people, ideas. The willing act of choosing that time and place (be it for your self or another, or a thing) is an ultimate act of power. such a choice should never be made or taken lightly, but it it is the very absolute nature of these choices that they must be made.

it is in the power of all living beings to make such a choice. and it is not an uncommon thing that the results of such a choice to bring great benefits for others. it is a righteous choice if made for the benefit of all.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Spaceman McConaughey