[XP] Skill calling an Event

Started by b33hcreative, November 06, 2011, 04:12:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

b33hcreative

November 06, 2011, 04:12:55 pm Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 07:05:36 pm by b33hcreative
I am trying to set up a skill that works similar to an item, the reason being that the item is only useable by a certain class; not sure if this would require scripting or not.

Class A has a skill known as "Bombs".  When skill is selected, the player can select from a menu of 12 different bombs  {event needs to check if (bomb type) is in inventory, if not option needs to be greyed out and not useable}

When a bomb is selected from use, it does a set amount of damage (unless enemy has a weakness to that kind of bomb) then decreases amount available by 1

Spoiler: ShowHide
{Psuedocode explaination}

Check inventory for item (bomb)
if true
  allow choice to be selected      
if false
  disallow choice
endif
if choice is selected
  deal specific damage, less target has weakness
     then subtract 1 (bomb) from inventory
endif

Apoligies for use of code here, it just seemed the easiest way to spell it out

Problems:
the conditional trigger not working; regardless of conditonal branch trigger, it continues with event.
damage for skill is showing twice, 1) for skill use [showing up as 0] and 2) specified damage in event

{Not currently working with any other events/scripts}

Fenriswolf

This should be hard/impossible to do merely with events.

I suggest you simply use the item (bombs) itself in battle.
This way you'll get rid of most of the problems you're having (gray skill name, double damage, etc.).

This should not require any scripts, nor is it too hard to event.

If you prefer it your way, then you should wait a bit longer for a scripter
or perhaps an eventer who can do it without any scripting.

Good luck :)

b33hcreative

I played around with the called event parameters, and I discovered something that I was missing...
When their is a condition for a skill to call a common event -- the skill is activated first, then the event is evaluated.

So unless there is a manner is which the common event preempts the use of the skill, I don't think this will be possible by using events only.

I have no idea how to make create this pre-emptive trigger, though...

Fenriswolf

The only way to do that with events only, is by having the bomb hit either a random opponent, or all of them.
You simply set the scope of the skill to "none" and there you go.

b33hcreative

that doesn't work. If I set the scope to "none", I am still able to select the skill, it just doesn't do anything; and it still ignores the called event.