WAV to MIDI

Started by AngryPacman, November 11, 2011, 05:53:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

AngryPacman

So, I was doing a lot of work on my super-sexy composition for the semester, and I was pretty much done, exported the audio (WAV) file from Sibelius and uploaded it to SoundCloud, then promptly lost my USB that held all of my work on it. I have downloaded the WAV from SoundCloud and am trying to work from that, but it's not easy at all.
I had the idea of reopening the file in Sibelius and finishing it off from there, but Sibelius can't open WAV files; the only sound file it can open is MIDI. Knowing the fundamental differences between WAV and MIDI, would anyone know of a way of converting my WAV file into a MIDI file? It would make my life infinitely easier.
G_G's a silly boy.

Blizzard

I've seen a few commercial programs apparently be able to do that, but in general there is no good and easy way to do it.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

AngryPacman

Yeah, I've gone through a couple of programs that did a pretty sub-par job of it.
G_G's a silly boy.

Subsonic_Noise

Here's the answer:

It's not possible. And I mean, technically. I'm not gonna go into detail, but by the way WAV (read: "digital recording") and midi (read: "digital music sheet") works, it is practically impossible to convert it from wav to midi, unless it's very minimalistic, percussion-less music. Shame you lost it, but if you want to have it back, you'll habe to redo it.

AngryPacman

I thought as much. I'll just try to rebuild it from an older version I salvaged.
G_G's a silly boy.