Regarding Flaming

Started by G_G, November 12, 2011, 10:34:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

G_G

Recently, our staff has been extremely lenient on this whole flaming ordeal. There should be a lot more bans in place then there has been. Constant flaming, rudeness, insulting has been given to members who don't quite deserve it. Then people turn around and claim our staff isn't being fair. While I agree in some cases, our choice of punishment was a bit harsh, but I look around and I can see why. I'm almost 100% sure our administrators are fed up with this constant flaming. I agree dealing with new members and newbies to the RPG Maker scene can get annoying. Its hard to fight against ignorance without showing a bit of rage. Everyone does this, its normal. But when it gets to the point to where you're just flaming someone just because of previous bad experiences, something needs to be done.

Examples sake, Tazero (aka metaknight at one point) was a just plain annoying at one point of time, banned once or twice. (Too harsh maybe?) But he's come back several times, changing his attitude and behavior, yet people still hate on him. Everyone has been given a second chance at one point in their life, so why can't some of the members who feel this is a safe environment, even call this place their home, get one? I'm being a bit of a hypocrite here because I myself have almost refused to give some members a second chance. Then we look at the members who have been given several chances, who's had the luxurious feeling of being showered with chances. As a staff member here at Chaos Project, its in all honesty my duty to try and prevent this. Or to blatantly stop the problem from where its coming from. I myself have flamed members just for being ignorant and stupid. I also took my punishment for it. A lot of you who have been doing it has easily escaped that. I just want to say I myself am not going to tolerate it much longer. I'm tired of seeing silly little arguments in the shoutbox over nothing that even matters. I will start banning people, I will start holding my duty as a moderator.

Now I'm hoping this community can be forgiving, can return to a nice community as it once was. Thriving with activity and everyone getting along, no matter the situation. Now I know I can't just ask for activity back but I can ask for politeness. I want to be able to put everything bad behind us and try and start fresh. Forget about all of the ignorance, forget the fights, the arguments, everything thats negative. We can still be a nice community, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if the flaming is pushing away members. But if we can't be nice, keep our thoughts to ourself, then I will start handing out the proper punishment. Members have been complaining about the fairness of our judgement, including myself, but then I look at what our community is and what makes it, and then I see that our decisions are unfair and work to the benefits of our members and not us. So either be nice or be banned.

Thank you all and have a wonderful day/evening.

Ryex

This message brought to you by your local moderation staff.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

I want to extend on G_G's post and add that it's actually not our duty to judge people and give them second chances or not. Our duty is to keep order. If somebody falls out of line, it's our duty to do something about it and if the person repeats their behavior even after several bans, obviously we will permanently ban the troublemaker.

I, personally, am fed up with members who think it's funny to keep flaming other people and then trying to pass it off as a joke. So far it has been tolerated a lot because there are certain members who would have actually gotten banned permanently if we had sticked with our rules. The last serious ban that I remember was when Sub was permanently banned after April 1st.

We are NOT going to "reset" things as G_G suggested. Instead we are going to do our job. People who had been given a lot of chances up to this point are on close watch and if we see the smallest violation of the rules, there will be bans handed out. That includes the non-funny jokes "as if" somebody's flaming. If you want to use degrading humor, this can be done in a properly funny and clever manner without insulting the person.

I used to skim the shoutbox mostly and not really pay attention about what people talk in the past months, but due to the new shoutbox rules and this topic, I will read your shouts and I will delete them or even ban you if I don't see the amount of respect that every member deserves here. Disrespect like flaming will not be tolerated anymore.

Have a nice day.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Fantasist

Quoteam fed up with members who think it's funny to keep flaming other people and then trying to pass it off as a joke.

Word. I see that so many times it's sickening. Glad to see the leash tighten.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: Blizzard on November 13, 2011, 04:15:24 am
The last serious ban that I remember was when Sub was permanently banned after April 1st.

Good times.

But yes I agree with game_guy. I can also keep flaming Futendra to a minimum if that's a problem.

G_G

November 13, 2011, 08:43:29 am #5 Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 09:04:31 am by game_guy
That'd be nice if at all possible. Joking around is okay, but again theres always that "went to far" kind of thing. If you can manage to talk to the member outside of the forum, gladly, gladly flame them as much as you want, as long as its not here. xD

EDIT:
By the way, I didn't mean completely reset it. I was trying to say treat members with how they act now and not with how they were previous. As in forget what they did in the past, and focus on them now.

Tazero

Quote from: game_guy on November 12, 2011, 10:34:24 pm
Recently, our staff has been extremely lenient on this whole flaming ordeal. There should be a lot more bans in place then there has been. Constant flaming, rudeness, insulting has been given to members who don't quite deserve it. Then people turn around and claim our staff isn't being fair. While I agree in some cases, our choice of punishment was a bit harsh, but I look around and I can see why. I'm almost 100% sure our administrators are fed up with this constant flaming. I agree dealing with new members and newbies to the RPG Maker scene can get annoying. Its hard to fight against ignorance without showing a bit of rage. Everyone does this, its normal. But when it gets to the point to where you're just flaming someone just because of previous bad experiences, something needs to be done.

Examples sake, Tazero (aka metaknight at one point) was a just plain annoying at one point of time, banned once or twice. (Too harsh maybe?) But he's come back several times, changing his attitude and behavior, yet people still hate on him. Everyone has been given a second chance at one point in their life, so why can't some of the members who feel this is a safe environment, even call this place their home, get one? I'm being a bit of a hypocrite here because I myself have almost refused to give some members a second chance. Then we look at the members who have been given several chances, who's had the luxurious feeling of being showered with chances. As a staff member here at Chaos Project, its in all honesty my duty to try and prevent this. Or to blatantly stop the problem from where its coming from. I myself have flamed members just for being ignorant and stupid. I also took my punishment for it. A lot of you who have been doing it has easily escaped that. I just want to say I myself am not going to tolerate it much longer. I'm tired of seeing silly little arguments in the shoutbox over nothing that even matters. I will start banning people, I will start holding my duty as a moderator.

Now I'm hoping this community can be forgiving, can return to a nice community as it once was. Thriving with activity and everyone getting along, no matter the situation. Now I know I can't just ask for activity back but I can ask for politeness. I want to be able to put everything bad behind us and try and start fresh. Forget about all of the ignorance, forget the fights, the arguments, everything thats negative. We can still be a nice community, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if the flaming is pushing away members. But if we can't be nice, keep our thoughts to ourself, then I will start handing out the proper punishment. Members have been complaining about the fairness of our judgement, including myself, but then I look at what our community is and what makes it, and then I see that our decisions are unfair and work to the benefits of our members and not us. So either be nice or be banned.

Thank you all and have a wonderful day/evening.

I'm Famous ;~;

And uhhh... ^ this :D

If you were a fish...

Blizzard

December 09, 2011, 05:35:09 am #7 Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 06:30:39 am by Blizzard
Quickly bumping this topic to add something.

People, keep in mind that usually we don't have the time or don't bother reading every topic thoroughly. Please make use of the report function.

EDIT: Upon Sub's initiative to report this post pointlessly, I want to add that using the report function for what it wasn't intended to can have consequences.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Subsonic_Noise

Blizzard

<3 You pointed out an obvious flaw in my previous post.