Bash Ignorance

Started by Fantasist, November 22, 2011, 04:49:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Fantasist

November 22, 2011, 04:49:48 am Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 07:57:21 am by Fantasist
Quote from: BlizzardCasual gamers are basically idiots. And I don't even mean that in a bad way.

They are honestly just plain stupid, aren't they? Tell me about it. I remember years ago when I showed my friend Chaos Project Final Demo. He didn't even have an idea of what was going on, basically had no idea of what an RPG was. I thought the battle scene will be sure to impress him, so I showed him. He asked me: What? Where is the battle?" I said: "You see, you get turns. This is how you select your commands, and when you're done, damage is dealt, like so." He literally burst out laughing. "You call this battle? I was expecting something like Mortal Kombat."
Then there was this other guy. I showed him Chrono Trigger and he said: "So what, those little dolls are people? Seriously man, how can you play something like this? It doesn't make sense".
Then there was one more guy. He apparently completed both the Mass Effect games, but when I asked what alignment he had chosen, Paragon or Renegade, he was like "Um, what?" :facepalm:
The list goes on and on >_<

EDIT: They aren't necessarily stupid. I was letting out some steam, sorry about that :^_^':

Note: This topic was split off another one.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Vell

That's less being an idiot and more "not being a gamer" I mean yeah, these things are logical to us but WE ARE GAMERS. THIS IS WHAT WE DO. To some fruitcake who doesn't play games all the time, things will seem... counter intuitive.

Fantasist

I agree. They aren't necessarily stupid. I was letting out some steam, sorry about that :^_^':
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

Subsonic_Noise

What Ulta said, though. Can't blame them for not being well-versed on a subject you're good in, or call them idiots for it.. i mean I shouldn't make fun of people for the bullshit they tell each other when it comes to audio engineering. I still do though, because it's hillarious.

Blizzard

Though, it's one thing when people simply don't know about stuff and another when they are being smart-asses and act like they do know. I have no problems being an ass to the latter category.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: Blizzard on November 24, 2011, 02:08:58 am
Though, it's one thing when people simply don't know about stuff and another when they are being smart-asses and act like they do know.

Believe me when I say I get that all the time XD I could start a list on things people try to tell me about audio engineering that are just completely ignorant and idiotic, but I'd probably be able to fill a book with it.. It goes from funny things to things like "All microphones sound exactpy the same", "if you can't filter the drums out of a finished song you aren't a real audio engineer" and "my ipod earplugs sound better than your headphones" (talking about professional level Ultrasone Pro headphones)
Yeah I give those people shit too, but I was just adding what I said there to prevent making fun of people for not playing videogames often in later posts.

Also we should possibly split this so wek can keep being asses to ignorant people.

Fantasist

November 24, 2011, 08:06:08 am #6 Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 08:07:36 am by Fantasist
Yay, split topic!
I think casual gamers are impatient by nature. They want something to engage their secondary state of mind rather than actually involving themselves completely in a game. For example, a friend of mine (who is incidentally my best bud) explained this to me when I tried to introduce him to RPGs. He said he was not really into RPGs, but he appreciated the mechanics of the game and more importantly he acknowledged how he could see me liking the genre. He said that he was not looking for that level of involvement in a game, and maybe someday, he might feel like playing one.
Now that's very nice, right?

Even I have a craving for a basic level of involvement in games. There are days that I don't feel like playing something like an RPG. I just want to mash some buttons. I usually play N while watching stuff. I do it all the time too, so I understand the need for "mindless" gaming. But some people are not polite about it. I guess it comes down to a basic code of conduct. Laughing at something I like and they don't understand: I don't like that >.<

G_G

I don't care if someone doesn't know about a subject, I can't be made or hate them for that, it really bothers me when someone acts like they know tons about the subject, and they think no one else around them actually knows.

"Dude I have like 50 shouts in Skyrim."
"Theres only 20 of them. ._."

Little things like that just really bug the crap out of me. And while its not video game related, it relates to the stupidity, unless I'm just not aware of this being possible, some kid in english class (albeit the same one who said he needs to "downgrade his internet") was saying that he bought 2 TB harddrives and used them as RAM. I told him he was an idiot and it doesn't just work that way. This versions a lot more friendlier then what actually happened, but you get the point. ._. Stop pretending you know things.

Blizzard

@G_G: That guy falls into a special category of idiots.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

G_G

Ugh! I'm here to rant again. My grandma is probably one of the most ignorant people I know. She kept yelling at her dogs because she didn't want them to get on her "furnitures". I told her, "Grandma, furnitures isn't a word, furniture is plural already." So she gets "smart" and goes to google and googles "furnitures". The only result that actually said "furnitures" was "Crate & Barrel Furnitures". I assume a typo. So she automatically assumes because she typed furnitures into a text box and that one site out of tons of results said furnitures, its automatically an official word.

So I look it up on dictionary.com, an actual dictionary, even google with "define furnitures" and they all just returned a result of "furniture". So as I am trying to explain to her its not a word, she's going "it is too a word, its right there in that textbox." I don't honestly how her mind comprehends that logic. It makes no sense. OMG I just wanna slap her. -_-

Though I feel better because I ranted about it over the internet. :3

ForeverZer0

Yes, it always helps to get a good rant out on the internets.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.