Snap Server Quantum model # 70700042-004

Started by mroedesigns, January 03, 2012, 05:40:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mroedesigns

I'm buying a snap storage server for $25 off of a friend of mine. He got it from his uncle for his music and never got around to using it. I dont know jack about servers like this one, and can't find much info online about it surprisingly. Would I be able to host my game off of this with my internet connection?

mroedesigns

any ideas? its a file server, its got roughly 220g of space on it.. Like I said I don't know much about servers as I've never owned one before. :facepalm:

ForeverZer0

Sure, but it will still be using your same internet connection, etc, but it should help by not using all your computer's resources all the time.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Ryex

assuming you can get a web server running on it. the description of "file server" lead me to believe you can't control the process running on it.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

mroedesigns

January 12, 2012, 02:56:21 am #4 Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 03:14:55 am by mroedesigns
See, and that's what I'm not sure about. Under network settings its got configuration options for FTP, SNMP, and Web server, but I'm pretty sure it's really just NAS.

Now I'm looking into possibly installing an ubuntu server build onto one of the 4 drives and go from there..

Edit ::

I'm a total noob to running servers and such if you can't tell.. but I got it to display a webpage when connected instead of the default config page, does this mean it does have webserver capabilities?

Ryex

January 12, 2012, 01:14:09 pm #5 Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 01:29:28 pm by Ryex
It measn it has webserver capabilities but it says nothing about how much you can control those abilities. for example does it have Apache and php? if not it is basically just an html server and as a result is almost useless. as a webserver at least, it's still a good file server.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

mroedesigns

I don't believe it does.. Its basically just NAS as far as I can tell at this point.. So my next question is would it be possible to install an OS onto one drive and run it from there? It's got 4 ~75 g drives. I was looking around on some other forums and it looks like it's been done before, but I'm not certain.

Since it's just an NAS, it'd have to be run headless, or remote from a different box I would imagine. Gotta find out if it's even possible first.