RPG Maker Resources on other platforms?

Started by thephantom, December 24, 2011, 02:25:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

thephantom

What is everyone's opinion of using RPG Maker resources in games you make yourself with your own code or engine?

I have contacted the artists of First Seed Material, better known as Mack Blue, and they said that they will allow you to use their graphics in any game reguardless of RPG Maker.

I think that sometimes you just don't have the resources to hire an artist or draw all the graphics yourself, and using pre-made graphics is a quick way to get a head start on your project.  But it seems that people can tell right away its RPG Maker graphics and automatically judge your work poorly or associate it as being an RPG Maker game.

I realize that trying to sell or monetize a game using ripped or even RPG Maker graphics may be hard.  And it could even make your game lack a unique graphical style.

What do you all think? 

<br />

winkio

Personally, I think that free projects should be free to use any resources and commercial projects should either make all their resources themselves or pay for their use.  That, however, is just a single opinion, and is by no means the accepted mindset.

Ryex

Honestly, as long as you credit the source and it's a free game most people won't call you on it. but technically speaking the EULA of the RMXP RTP says you can't. you have to get permission form them on a case by case basis. as for other artists / games it varies as to how you can uses their resource. it's generically a good practice to ask the source for explicit permission.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

thephantom

I asked First Seed about using their graphics in my game, which I do plan on monetizing to some degree.  Such as to fund the servers and multi-player aspects.  I explained I would be selling my game, just for sake of simplicity and language barrier, and they said it was fine.

But really, it seems that the player base is sooo opinionated on using RPG Maker graphics...
<br />

Fantasist

It IS a bit disappointing to pay for a game with RMXP-style graphics, since so many other games are offering the same, but in the end it's just ONE aspect. If I bought a game, I'd think RMXP-style graphics would be a downer but 5 minutes into the game if I like the experience, I'll completely forget about it. It's just my opinion, though. After all, if you're selling your game to people who've never heard of RMXP, they are still new and fresh ;)
One more thing. Even if the graphics are RMXP-style, custom graphics will make the game better any day. I say the less you use from the RTP, the better.
Speaking of which, using the graphics from the RTP for commercial games made with tools other than RMXP/VX is not allowed by Enterbrain, but I think you already know that. So if you can gather a comprehensive set of graphics from other artists and they give you consent to use them in a commercial game, I say it's all good.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Starrodkirby86

It's pretty much that!

If you're making a commercial game, it's best to develop your own original style because it helps identify your game as your own, and not some RTP-styled game. It's definitely not wrong to use the RTP-style, albeit, as mentioned before, you can't explicitly use the RTP resources as per Enterbrain's EULA.

If I were playing a commercial game with RTP graphics, I'd initially be thrown off. It would have to have really awesome gameplay, story mechanics, or some other vital field to let me overlook that. Though... The Aveyond series seemed to have enjoyed a niche group of people, and that's RTP-styled and commercial.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

thephantom

Would you consider First Seed Material resources to be in the RTP style?
Clearly people identify them with RPG Maker, so I guess that means yes...
<br />

Starrodkirby86

I'd say that they are RTP styled, yeah... If you can perfectly have them fit with the RTP, then they're definitely RTP-styled, heh.

Don't let that faze you though! As Fanta (Fanta <3) and I have said, it's only one aspect of the game. It may be a tad disappointing, but if there's something that makes up for it, then it's very much acceptable. :nod:

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).