Working on an Umbrella For a Sprite

Started by TheCableGuy, December 24, 2011, 11:34:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCableGuy

I've gotten as far as this image:

But My Spriting Talents fall short when adding Images with Depth and anything with circles...

So I'm wondering if someone could help out a little or even if someone knows of a Pre-existing Umbrella That I could use and super-impose on to multiple Sprites.

Thanks.

Starrodkirby86

Hey! Welcome to the forums.

That's a nice start to your umbrella, especially the fold-up. I'm not really a spriting expert whatsoever, so I'd love to have someone experienced in that field to put in their say, but I'll write this in the meantime. Take it as you will!

Although it depends on the light source, it'll probably help to look how the folds of an umbrella top-down would look like. I stumbled upon a few images through a quick search.

Spoiler: ShowHide

I suppose you should pay attention to how the folds work, and that's there a bright side and a dark side to everything. That's the basics of shading, really. Whatever the light source is directly hitting should have the brighter values, and whatever's getting the short end of the stick's getting the darker values. It's kind of hard to tell how you'll work your light source in exactly with that top-down, but I'm assuming the light source is somewhere at the top-right, so try matching that?

You can also read up some spriting tutorials on shading and textures. Here's one I read before. I hope it helps.

http://opengameart.org/content/chapter-4-shadow-and-light
http://opengameart.org/content/chapter-7-textures-and-dithering

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Ryex

woh! Starrod is back!

*moves topic to normal resources section as this isn't really a request*
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

TheCableGuy

Yeah, one of my worst problems is getting the Shading down. I'm just not that experienced in Paint Shop or graphical editing.  I usually end up taking shortcuts, some of which I'm not too proud of..

This is what I've came up with with as little cheating as I could manage.

Starrodkirby86

Wow, that's pretty cool. It looks like it has far more depth than your actual sprite though. I think the light source is inconsistent too, since it seems the light source for the umbrella is from the left, but the sprite's light source is up above or something.

It also seems like it's just placed on there for the moment, but I'm sure your current priority is to make a nice umbrella rather than getting ahead of yourself with the body pose or something.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

TheCableGuy

You're right there. That's not actually my Spite but rather just one I copied and pasted to show relative size and how it's suppose to look.

Also, I'm using the same image in front and behind so it doesn't look like it's really behind her like it should be. I need to figure out out to "turn it in-side out" so to speak.