[Blizz-ABS] Bosses

Started by Futendra, December 30, 2011, 07:43:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Futendra

December 30, 2011, 07:43:13 am Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 02:25:13 pm by Futendra
I know a lot of people have problems with how to make bosses.
Thanks to winkio, I found out a couple of ways now.

Bosses

Step 1: Sprite
When making a boss, the boss must look big and impressive.
A way to do that is to use battlers and convert them into character sheets.
A different way to do this, using animation is to make big characters yourself, or search some on the internet.

Note: Animations are more impressive than a big character sometimes!

Impressive: ShowHide

Not Impressive: ShowHide

Step 2: Location
Every boss needs a unique location that the boss uses.
Example:
When there is a cave with a lot of empty space, the boss jumps over the empty space and attacks after jumping, this way the player must find a weak moment to hit the boss.

Step 3: Skill
The boss must have unique and impressive skills.
They should also be quite over powered.
When making skills, note that shooting skills are a lot easier to use when making a pattern.

Step 4: Animations
Your boss must look impressive, very impressive, big animations can really help!

Step 5: Pattern
You have to make a pattern that the player recognises and finds a weak spot in.
You can't simply make an enemy that uses skills randomly.
The best way to do this is to make a move route and add forced actions.

A forced action is an attack, heal, ... that you tell the enemy to do.

$BlizzABS.enemy_force_action(1, ACTORS, 0, SKILL, 85)

This code means that the enemy uses Skill number 85 on the first actor.
The skill can be a shockwave, full screen, shooting, ... skill.

Here are some other force actions:

Enemy actions: ShowHide
$BlizzABS.enemy_recover_all(TROOP)

$BlizzABS.enemy_change_hp(8, DECREASE, CONSTANT, 58, KILL)

$BlizzABS.enemy_change_sp(@SELF, INCREASE, VARIABLE, 12)

$BlizzABS.enemy_change_state(TROOP, ADD, 6)

$BlizzABS.enemy_transform(11, 3)

$BlizzABS.enemy_deal_damage(11, VARIABLE, 8)

Enemy conditions: ShowHide
$BlizzABS.is_enemy?(event_id)

$BlizzABS.enemy_has_state?(event_id, state_id)

$BlizzABS.enemy_can_see?(event_id, target_type, target)

$BlizzABS.enemy_can_hear?(event_id, target_type, target)

$BlizzABS.enemy_can_perceive?(event_id, target_type, target)

$BlizzABS.enemy_has_memorized?(event_id, target_type, target)

Step 6: Weakness
Every boss has hes weakness, add a weakness in your pattern in form of a Wait command or a movement.

Step 7: Test and improve
Fight your own boss on multiple levels, test the boss when the actor is level 10, test it when the actor is level 50, and so on.
If the boss is too weak, make him stronger, if he is too strong, make him weaker.

Special notes:

• Use variation in pattern! (Make a parallel proces that has a conditional branch that checks enemy health, actor health, mana, ...)

• Don't make your bosses to easy, if you don't know if he is hard enough, ask a friend to beat it!

• Make some kind of background story to your boss, it doesn't need to be in-game but it will help you make skills and looks!

• Every boss you use in a game should be different, they should all have a different weakness and different skills!

Special thanks to winkio :)

Blizzard

Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Futendra

Quote from: Blizzard on December 30, 2011, 08:21:33 am
*databases this*

thx :) I am going to add some stuff later, Its not yet complete

Boba Fett Link

January 07, 2012, 11:39:47 am #3 Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 04:34:12 pm by Boba Fett Link
Good job on the tutorial.

Quote from: Futendra on December 30, 2011, 07:43:13 am

I'm not sure using battler images for Blizz-ABS bosses would be a good idea. Their a little too big compared to the 32x32 tiles in RMXP (especially your example one) and would be hard to make moving and action animations.
This post will self-destruct in 30 seconds.

Futendra

Quote from: Boba Fett Link on January 07, 2012, 11:39:47 am
Good job on the tutorial.

I'm not sure using battler images for Blizz-ABS bosses would be a good idea. Their a little too big compared to the 32x32 tiles in RMXP (especially your example one) and would be hard to make moving and action animations.

Indeed, I was just about to edit that when I read this. instead, searchign or making big sprites is a better option ;)

The Niche

I'd just like to draw attention to this. This may be true for a lot of modern video games. However, this identify pattern, exploit it until you win formula is as clichéd as it is tried and tested. Obviously, it's easy enough to come up with a pattern, and also easy enough to implement it. But seriously. It detracts from the uniqueness of your game.

So, some suggestions:

• Vary the pattern based on the boss's health. This is almost as clichéd as no variation at all, so if you do it, mix it in with something else.

• Vary the pattern based on other things (Player's health/mp, boss's mp, how much time has passed, how many of a certain item the player has left) There's quite a few things you could come up with and mixing enough of them would create a seriously interesting fight.

• Don't use a pattern. There's a few ways to do this:

• Give the boss a weakness, maybe a special weapon or skill, a certain poison, or just a weak spot. This is again, not all that interesting so do mix it with something else.

• Make it so the player has to lure the boss into traps of some kind. I'm certain I've seen this done before, but it's still very unusual.

Sub has done more research into redefining the boss battle, I'll try get him in here.
Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

Futendra

Quote from: The Niche on January 07, 2012, 09:15:32 pm

I'd just like to draw attention to this. This may be true for a lot of modern video games. However, this identify pattern, exploit it until you win formula is as clichéd as it is tried and tested. Obviously, it's easy enough to come up with a pattern, and also easy enough to implement it. But seriously. It detracts from the uniqueness of your game.

So, some suggestions:

• Vary the pattern based on the boss's health. This is almost as clichéd as no variation at all, so if you do it, mix it in with something else.

• Vary the pattern based on other things (Player's health/mp, boss's mp, how much time has passed, how many of a certain item the player has left) There's quite a few things you could come up with and mixing enough of them would create a seriously interesting fight.

• Don't use a pattern. There's a few ways to do this:

• Give the boss a weakness, maybe a special weapon or skill, a certain poison, or just a weak spot. This is again, not all that interesting so do mix it with something else.

• Make it so the player has to lure the boss into traps of some kind. I'm certain I've seen this done before, but it's still very unusual.

Sub has done more research into redefining the boss battle, I'll try get him in here.

Yes of course, but I will edit this later, the situation at home is now not too good, so I wont be editting now...

winkio

Skyward Sword used patterns very effectively, and had some of the best boss battles ever.  If you are using an ABS using patterns are the only way to give depth to a battle, otherwise it's just hack and slash.  I actually think Futendra has it right in his guide.  Also Niche, all your suggestions involve patterns as well, so I guess I don't really see what you are saying.

The Niche

Not quite all, but point taken, I was thinking about that as I was writing it :P What you will find is that they involve varying the pattern, which was what I would view as this tutorial's only flaw. (Also, a link to one of the enemy health bar scripts would probably be a good idea, I can imagine that'll be a common question here)

As to non-pattern-ness...you are indeed right, Wink. I shall take on this problem then.
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

Futendra

Quote from: The Niche on January 09, 2012, 02:07:55 pm
Not quite all, but point taken, I was thinking about that as I was writing it :P What you will find is that they involve varying the pattern, which was what I would view as this tutorial's only flaw. (Also, a link to one of the enemy health bar scripts would probably be a good idea, I can imagine that'll be a common question here)

As to non-pattern-ness...you are indeed right, Wink. I shall take on this problem then.

Well, I actually don't want to make bosses a piece of copy-paste-cake...

You should experiment and search something original yourself, I added some notes on the bottom, just so people know how to achieve this. Also, I will add some more forced action codes.

The Niche

Futendra

Is there anyone who can help me personally with making my patterns to work? I have some trouble with face direction and skill shooting...

Magus

February 23, 2012, 12:26:37 pm #12 Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 12:45:47 pm by Magus
Whenever I make bosses, believe it or not, I sometimes have THREE controllers for them. Dammit, if only Generations wasn't dead, I'll be able to give it to you guys as examples. I think I'll make a boss demo  (or just submit a demo of Flame of Life R without compressing it.)
Anyway, this is some good stuff, even if I already knew this xD. Please listen to this. It may be complicated at first, but it's actually pretty fun.

Edit:  Flame of Life 1 original has bosses made this way. You'll obviously be able to tell that the first boss is my first attempt,
but please check them all out if you want. (Especially the boss right before the final boss. That monster is a bit of a douche xD)
LEVEL ME DOWN. THE ANTI-BLIZZ GROUP IS AMONG YOU... Do it for the chick below...She watches..<br />

Futendra

Quote from: Magus on February 23, 2012, 12:26:37 pm
Whenever I make bosses, believe it or not, I sometimes have THREE controllers for them. Dammit, if only Generations wasn't dead, I'll be able to give it to you guys as examples. I think I'll make a boss demo  (or just submit a demo of Flame of Life R without compressing it.)
Anyway, this is some good stuff, even if I already knew this xD. Please listen to this. It may be complicated at first, but it's actually pretty fun.

Indeed, but I have some trouble myself, could you make a little boss demo with some forced actions and multiple patterns? It would be awesome to add to this topic and I might learn some debugging from it!

Magus

February 23, 2012, 12:47:24 pm #14 Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 01:04:14 pm by Magus
Quote from: Darth Annoyance on February 23, 2012, 12:38:24 pm
Whenever I make bosses, believe it or not, I sometimes have THREE controllers for them. Dammit, if only Generations wasn't dead, I'll be able to give it to you guys as examples. I think I'll make a boss demo  (or just submit a demo of Flame of Life R without compressing it.)

Indeed, but I have some trouble myself, could you make a little boss demo with some forced actions and multiple patterns? It would be awesome to add to this topic and I might learn some debugging from it!

I'll give it a go. I'll post it whenever I get back to the library. Maybe three different type of bosses will do.

Edit: Don't expect anything like "big" I'm not a spriter. And I prefer to use  sprites (ones that look good though)  But You'll see their pattern.
It's up to you to decide when to attack though.
LEVEL ME DOWN. THE ANTI-BLIZZ GROUP IS AMONG YOU... Do it for the chick below...She watches..<br />

Futendra

Quote from: Magus on February 23, 2012, 12:47:24 pm
Quote from: Darth Annoyance on February 23, 2012, 12:38:24 pm

I'll give it a go. I'll post it whenever I get back to the library. Maybe three different type of bosses will do.

Edit: Don't expect anything like "big" I'm not a spriter. And I prefer to use  sprites (ones that look good though)  But You'll see their pattern.
It's up to you to decide when to attack though.

I am curious!

Magus

So Far I have 2 of the 3 bosses. (4th one will be a final boss.) 
I tested the two bosses I have completed so far.  Keep in mind, these are basic bosses I'm creating.   They have a pattern and then an "Angry Mode" in which they switch patterns and the music becomes intense. When I look at all of the events used for this, I noticed that my method may be a bit complicated to understand.   ._.  I didn't know I was this detailed into the creation of my  "new-generation" bosses. (Call it new generation, because compared to the old version of flame of life, I've improved at boss-making.)

Keep in mind these are DIFFERENT BOSSES. I DO NOT COPY AND PASTE OTHER BOSSES. THEY ALL ARE UNIQUE.

As I was saying, I tested them..  Boss 2, I call Omega... he's a dick.. So yeah, I'm sorry to say, if you hate hard bosses, don't even bother with the game I'm going to post eventually. (I call: Flame of Life Ova 1: The Boss Challenge.)

But that game is still prior to this topic, so I'm going to post two versions. One version for this topic and the other for the projects. They both will have a difference >:D.

The first boss is pretty hard in Angry Mode though :/  (Also, don't play this with an old computer. It may lag. I know because I test these things.)

Futendra

Quote from: Magus on February 27, 2012, 09:53:59 am
So Far I have 2 of the 3 bosses. (4th one will be a final boss.) 
I tested the two bosses I have completed so far.  Keep in mind, these are basic bosses I'm creating.   They have a pattern and then an "Angry Mode" in which they switch patterns and the music becomes intense. When I look at all of the events used for this, I noticed that my method may be a bit complicated to understand.   ._.  I didn't know I was this detailed into the creation of my  "new-generation" bosses. (Call it new generation, because compared to the old version of flame of life, I've improved at boss-making.)

Keep in mind these are DIFFERENT BOSSES. I DO NOT COPY AND PASTE OTHER BOSSES. THEY ALL ARE UNIQUE.

As I was saying, I tested them..  Boss 2, I call Omega... he's a dick.. So yeah, I'm sorry to say, if you hate hard bosses, don't even bother with the game I'm going to post eventually. (I call: Flame of Life Ova 1: The Boss Challenge.)

But that game is still prior to this topic, so I'm going to post two versions. One version for this topic and the other for the projects. They both will have a difference >:D.

The first boss is pretty hard in Angry Mode though :/  (Also, don't play this with an old computer. It may lag. I know because I test these things.)

No worries, just got my new cable to get my new graphic card working ^^ 1gb GRAM :D

Blizzard

As I was saying, I tested them..  Boss 2, I call Omega... he's a dick..

Yeah, Omega Dick does sound nasty. #_#
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Magus

Quote from: Darth Asshole on February 27, 2012, 05:03:30 pm
As I was saying, I tested them..  Boss 2, I call Omega... he's a dick..

Yeah, Omega Dick does sound nasty. #_#

LOLWUT LMAO D:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: LMAO