SOPA

Started by Vell, January 18, 2012, 12:33:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mroedesigns

Did you guys read that article? President Obama doesn't support the bill, which means anything that even gets passed by congress will be veto'd by him. Unless its a much more direct, less wide-spread act.

Blizzard

Yes, I've seen it yesterday.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

G_G

Theres still a chance for PIPA.

ShadowIce

Not without america revolting against it, there's not

Vell

If it passes, it'll get declared unconstitutional, yes.

But the damage will already have been done before the bureaucracy gets it through.

SBR*

Quote from: Blizzard on January 18, 2012, 10:23:51 am
Wrong. All search engines are run by companies registered in the US. The US government can force a search engine to filter out a site and effectively removing it from the Internet. You would be able to still access the site through its IP address, but that's almost the same as removing it for the average user. That means that because we all use Google, the US can basically block our search results as well. It may be a US-only law, but that law would affect the entire Internet, not just the US.

How about using a non-American search engine?

Vell

the bill is SPECIFICALLY aimed at "foreign" websites, btw.

Yep.

Yeah.

SBR*

And can't the Americans just use proxies?

Vell

There are ways around DNS blocking, yes. However, to do so you have to know the IP of the program. Effectively, for the average citizen who's not well-versed in the internet, DNS blocking is going to prevent the access to a website. Moreover, it could possibly lead to the site completely shutting down.

Blizzard

You will be able to access all sites using their IP address, but domain names (such as www.something.com) won't work. It makes it much harder to access a site and most people don't understand IP addresses so the traffic will drop rapidly. This effectively actually removes the website from the Internet.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Vell

As a side note, advertisements and search engines will be obligated to stop supporting the website. Among other such things.

Kett Shee

Quote from: mroedesigns on January 19, 2012, 04:37:20 am
Did you guys read that article? President Obama doesn't support the bill, which means anything that even gets passed by congress will be veto'd by him. Unless its a much more direct, less wide-spread act.

Congress can overrule a veto by a majority two-thirds vote, I believe.
You're all daft cunts. I love you. <3

tSwitch

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: tSwitch.us | Twitter | Tumblr

Vell

Megaupload has been shut down and 7 people in charge of the service / website arrested as part of an ongoing legal battle with UMC.

MarkHest

they were arrested for a "legal" battle? :O.o:

By the way, what is UMC?

ForeverZer0

Quote from: Kett Shee on January 19, 2012, 05:17:28 pm
Quote from: mroedesigns on January 19, 2012, 04:37:20 am

Congress can overrule a veto by a majority two-thirds vote, I believe.

He doesn't oppose it, he opposes it "in its current state".
That is not comforting to say the least.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

AngryPacman

Anonymous has caught wind. Anonymous is pissed. REALLY PISSED. And tell me class, what happens when Anonymous gets pissed?
DDoS. DDoS happens.

http://gizmodo.com/5877679/anonymous-kills-department-of-justice-site-in-megaupload-revenge-strike

QuoteUpdate: Anonymous says they've also knocked off the RIAA's site--looks down for us at the moment as well.

Update 2: Universal Music Group has also fallen off an e-cliff.

Update 3: Goodbye for now, MPAA.org.

Update 4: Affected sites are bouncing in and out of life, and are at the very least super slow to load. Anon agents are currently trying to coordinate their DDoS attacks in the same direction via IRC.

Update 5: The US Copyright Office joins the list.

Update 6: This Anon sums up the mood in their "official" chat room at the moment:

Danzu: STOP EVERYTHING, who are we DoSing right now?

Update 7: Russian news service RT claims this is the largest coordinated attack in Anonymous' history--over 5,600 DDoS zealots blasting at once.

Update 8: the Anonymous DDoS planning committee is chittering so quickly, it's making my laptop fan spin.

Update 9: Major record label EMI is down for the count.

Update 10: La résistance est international--French copyright authority HADOPI bites the dust under Anon pressure.

Update 11: The Federal Bureau of Investigation has fallen and can't get up.

But Anonymous can only do so much... Let your congressman know that a vote for SOPA is at least 50% votes for his opposition.
G_G's a silly boy.

Ryex

I believe Ulta meant UMG which is Universal Music Group.

Also I'd like people to not that ACTA is over and done with, the US and most of the negotiating countries have signed it. now as far as I know the latest copy of ACTA is no worse than the DMCA and as we have the DMCA nothing will change for the US but the DMCA is flawed and ACTA sets up an international precedent for it never being fixed so, still bad.

also I'm considering doing a series of audio blogs where I talk about the nature of the internet and my observations of it's effects on the world. interested?

as for Obama, he has not said he will veto it out right and only "expresses concern with it's current state"

a united front must be put up. freedom is fought for not guaranteed by words on paper. citizens have to be ever vigilant if they want to keep their freedom.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

MarkHest

Quote from: Ryexalso I'm considering doing a series of audio blogs where I talk about the nature of the internet and my observations of it's effects on the world. interested?

I'd like to hear that :>

Subsonic_Noise

DDoS does close to nothing. It does about as much as ripping off a banner the government made.