SOPA

Started by Vell, January 18, 2012, 12:33:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The Niche

Quote from: Ryexalso I'm considering doing a series of audio blogs where I talk about the nature of the internet and my observations of it's effects on the world. interested?

Also interesting, at least partially for the thrill of Ryex's sensuous voice.

@Sub: That's the wrong analogy. Ripping up a banner does quite a bit as far as symbolism goes.
Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

Subsonic_Noise

Not if they just pick the banner back up from the floor and glue it back on every time you do it, within a few hours.

Blizzard

DDoS is then a bit more effective since they can't put it just back up when they want but when the attack stops. DDoS may not do much as far as damage is concerned, but it does draw attention. That is, anonymous DDoSing a site draws attention.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

SBR*

I don't think ACTA affects you much, as long as you use a proxy.

Futendra

Oh HELL YEAH people own the internet. Look at Google, Wikipedia, Youtube, Facebook, Twitter,... they all have IMMENSE power through internet and without them, we would really be hopeless a LOT!

What I wanted to say here is all those international bussinesses and websites will also be affected by SOPA which means that Europe will also be affected!

SBR*

We will eventually find ways to avoid this act, whether it is by using different websites, proxies or whatever other ways we will come up with. Heck, there is a plug-in that allows a foreign site to "host" a site of your country, so you can access it although it is prohibited by your government. This is done often to help people in totalitarian countries. The real problem is that America is even considering passing a bill like this and that the FBI has the power to arrest people who have committed those 'crimes'. You and I won't notice that much of a difference, but the general image will surely change.

ForeverZer0

According to my newsletter, the two bills have just both been successfully defeated, at least this time around. They will emerge again with a different name in the future I am sure.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Futendra

Taking away some freedom, okay. Taking away the freedom to do something in your private time, no. Taking away the freedom of truth, no. Taking away freedom to show people the real world, uncensored, no.

Fuck that shit

SBR*

Quote from: ForeverZer0 on January 20, 2012, 05:28:20 pm
According to my newsletter, the two bills have just both been successfully defeated, at least this time around. They will emerge again with a different name in the future I am sure.

I wonder what's going to happen with MegaUpload, though. How could the FBI do that without the bills having passed yet?

Futendra

Quote from: SBR* on January 20, 2012, 05:36:34 pm
Quote from: ForeverZer0 on January 20, 2012, 05:28:20 pm

I wonder what's going to happen with MegaUpload, though. How could the FBI do that without the bills having passed yet?

They closed the site because of copyright and authorasation. nothing to do with the rest. they could have closed the site ages ago but now it seems the perfect time.

Blizzard

I saw this quote earlier this week.

QuoteThose who are ready to pay with a bit of liberty for some security deserve neither liberty nor security.

I'm glad the crisis has been averted for now.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

SBR*

Paying with liberty is ok to a certain extend, I think. For example: if there's a lot of criminality, preventive searching of the body should be allowed in more cases.

Blizzard

This isn't paying with liberty. Liberty and freedom don't mean that you can go around and do what you want. It means that you won't be oppressed by somebody else. Having liberty and freedom includes not infringing the liberty and freedom of others. Anything beyond that is just anarchy and chaos (the bad kind of chaos, not LL's Chaos :V).

SBR*

Hmmm, I see what you mean. I agree.

Blizzard

Damn, it looks like F0's misinterpreted the newsletter. :/ They have only been put on hold, waiting for a possible rewrite or completely start from scratch.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/PIPA-SOPA-protect-ip-act-stop-piracy-online-act-senate,news-13954.html

But this is still ok. If a rewrite changes the problematic sections, this can become a useful law against piracy instead of a law that allows censoring of the Internet. See how they were able to take down MegaUpload with the current laws? Realistically, why would they need SOPA/PIPA anyway?

ForeverZer0

January 20, 2012, 08:13:28 pm #55 Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 08:14:37 pm by ForeverZer0
So that they can effectively do the same to sites not based in the U.S., like MegaUpload was. Obviously they will never be able to shut them down, but they can block them from us. I love how the Constitution, the basis for all our laws doesn't seem to be in the equation to these politicians, which it is clearly against censorship.

Even worse, these politicians forget who they work for. They are public servants, and are SUPPOSED to be the voice of the people they represent.  Instead they choose to either follow their party, campaign contributors, or in this case companies with lots of money, which I can make the safe assumption that they are getting something out of it personally. It seems that personal agenda is the only thing they choose to follow, and they people they represent, who "hired" them, are just afterthoughts.

This a spreading problem in the U.S., unfortunately. I am happy to see that at least 35 (last I heard) senators publicly denounce the bill. It will only take 40 to have the bill killed in the Senate, so that is pretty close.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Blizzard

Yeah, politicians are all the same everywhere. :/ I don't even mind that much that they pursue some personal agenda, I mind that they would do it even if they had to fuck over the whole country to get what they want.

SBR*

Quote from: ForeverZer0 on January 20, 2012, 08:13:28 pm
So that they can effectively do the same to sites not based in the U.S., like MegaUpload was.

The MageUpload employees/bosses who were arrested weren't all American. I know for a fact that some were Dutch.

I hope Safe Harbor will protect them...

Futendra

Quote from: SBR* on January 21, 2012, 07:06:05 am
So that they can effectively do the same to sites not based in the U.S., like MegaUpload was.

The MageUpload employees/bosses who were arrested weren't all American. I know for a fact that some were Dutch.

I hope Safe Harbor will protect them...

There are also 2 belgian employees arrested --'\

They got arrested for publising copyrighted items.

AngryPacman

MegaUpload was based in Hong Kong. I don't know how the U.S. government took it down.
G_G's a silly boy.