SOPA

Started by Vell, January 18, 2012, 12:33:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Vell

January 18, 2012, 12:33:38 am Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 12:36:09 am by UltaFlame
I suck at discussing this. :/ But it's a bad thing. look up the Stop Online Piracy Act. If you're american, vote against it. If you're not - IT STILL AFFECTS YOU.

Hearing what it's supposed to do (and what it's named after) makes it not seem bad. Yet look deeper; it's a frightening bill. It cannot pass and that means everyone doing what they can to deny the bill.

Go to wikipedia to  learn more.

AngryPacman

Going to wikipedia won't do much today, it's locked in probably the biggest protest imaginable on the internet against SOPA. The problem with this bill is that it's written by people who either don't care or understand what it'll do to the internet, and it's written for people who are too scared of the internet to think that it has feelings.
This bill will affect 2 BILLION PEOPLE ACROSS THE WHOLE WORLD. Everybody should do their part in stopping idiots in Washington who don't realize what they're doing to the world. Sign petitions, talk to your local government guy if you're in America, send death threats to senators, whatever it takes to stop SOPA or PIPA.
G_G's a silly boy.

Vell

Quote from: AngryPacman on January 18, 2012, 01:56:50 am
Going to wikipedia won't do much today, it's locked in probably the biggest protest imaginable on the internet against SOPA.

That's actually why I told people to go to Wikipedia. I believe it's a far bigger impact to be like "eh, Sopa? - wait, WIKIPEDIA IS PROTESTING?! AND SO IS OTHER SITES?! AND THEY WANT ME TO CONTACT MY SENATORS AND REPRESENTATIVES?!"

Blizzard

I agree. SOPA is the worst idea ever. One thing is the battle against online piracy, but it's something completely different to censor the WHOLE Internet. Technically, if SOPA passes, you can sue half of the Internet which includes sites like Wikipedia, Google, Facebook and others if they have any piece of material that it copyrighted by you. This is just wrong.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

The Niche

Fuuuuuuck, this is horrible. Hmm...supposing the bill passes...how'll we screw it up so it's no longer effective?
Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

Kett Shee

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/01/16/obama-says-so-long-sopa-killing-controversial-internet-piracy-legislation/

^ This.

Even if he doesn't support it, there's still the chance that it could be passed anyway. There's also Protect IP as well.
You're all daft cunts. I love you. <3

Blizzard

January 18, 2012, 08:11:28 am #6 Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 08:52:29 am by Blizzard
Yeah, PIPA is a similar problem like SOPA: :/

EDIT: If you're a US citizen, vote again SOPA and PIPA! https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

SBR*

If I understand correctly, other countries won't have any problems with SOPA and PIPA, granted that the websitehost isn't situated in America? Still, it's an awful bill. I don't think it'll past, although that might be wishful thinking.

Blizzard

Wrong. All search engines are run by companies registered in the US. The US government can force a search engine to filter out a site and effectively removing it from the Internet. You would be able to still access the site through its IP address, but that's almost the same as removing it for the average user. That means that because we all use Google, the US can basically block our search results as well. It may be a US-only law, but that law would affect the entire Internet, not just the US.

Magus

EXACTLY. It's really retarded. I once thought about starting my own technical company and going to school for management, C.I.S and the works.  But if congress is going to pull retarded shit like this, then all of my credit-earning efforts will go in vain. :/
LEVEL ME DOWN. THE ANTI-BLIZZ GROUP IS AMONG YOU... Do it for the chick below...She watches..<br />

SBR*

Why can't Google move to Europe, then O.o?

The Niche

They can. And probably will. If the US doesn't use the framework SOPA and PIPA creates to prevent them from doing so.

I can see this leading to one of two possibilities:

One: The national barriers the internet has broken down will be thrown back up as segments of the internet start belonging to countries.

Two: The protests work or the bill is passed then scrapped because of violent internet revolutions, etc, leading to people realising they don't own the internet and therefore total freedom.
Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

Vell

The primary issue is it gives more power to big entertainment companies. Look up information on the Megaupload song, you'll eventually get back to SOPA. (and PIPA)

I'm going against it. Calling my senators, etc, soon as Ig et home today.

Starrodkirby86

Interestingly, a lot of supporters are those big name entertainment companies - for instance, the Motion Picture Association of America. They're particularly those companies that are very self-conscious over this whole piracy matter, but this is really the wrong way to punch it in.

Alas, alas. I've done my voicing last month, so that's nice, but perhaps I should find the time to continue contributing ~

I usually have http://americancensorship.org as my go-to place for voicing out opposition and whatnot, so 'tis a nice place to go to as well. Let's hope our Internet voices are for the better!

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

mroedesigns

Ive yet to talk to a single person who supports SOPA. If our reps take any of the voices of their people seriously regarding this issue, it has no chance of passing.

winkio

well people don't support it.  Companies support it.  You would think that companies wouldn't have that kind of overriding power, but there are so many examples of it occurring over the past few years that we must consider the possibility.  No matter how much people want regulations on wall street or oil companies, it will not happen very easily.  Just the same, if companies want to regulate individual people's internet use, we must put up our own defense.

mad.array

I'm appalled not only by the act itself, but by how far reaching it is. I don't live in America but I know this will affect me just as much as it will affect the average US citizen. It does seem to be that the powers-that-be in the US respond to percieved threats by barging in, taking what they want, restricting what they don't like and then throwing an expensive party with the rich and famous.

Ok, that last part was slightly exxagerated. But the point stands. Capitalism and Democracy are two parts of the same machine, but they shouldn't be so deep in each others pockets that you can't see where one ends and the other begins. Because that probably means that companies are having too much say in what laws get passed and how the Government operates.

Looking at my post... If this were any other day, I'd think that I'd taken an overdose of conspiritheorum. It's a sad, sad thing that my imaginary drug has nothing to do with this.
"To walk at speed, manage or oversee..."

"RUN!"

Vell

Do some research on ACTA.

MarkHest

January 19, 2012, 02:37:37 am #19 Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 02:40:16 am by MarkHest
I think it's funny how the goverment of one country think they own the whole world. Altso they're forgetting one very important detail...

NOBODY owns the internet!  :rulez:
They sure as hell think they do.