SOPA

Started by Vell, January 18, 2012, 12:33:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SBR*

Perhaps they were hoping for SOPA to be passed?

Kett Shee

Quote from: AngryPacman on January 21, 2012, 08:15:40 am
Quote from: ForeverZer0 on January 20, 2012, 08:13:28 pm
So that they can effectively do the same to sites not based in the U.S., like MegaUpload was.

MegaUpload was based in Hong Kong. I don't know how the U.S. government took it down.

I'm not sure if this counts, but they had quite a bit of servers in the U.S., right?
You're all daft cunts. I love you. <3

Futendra

Quote from: AngryPacman on January 21, 2012, 08:15:40 am
Quote from: ForeverZer0 on January 20, 2012, 08:13:28 pm
So that they can effectively do the same to sites not based in the U.S., like MegaUpload was.

MegaUpload was based in Hong Kong. I don't know how the U.S. government took it down.

Their logics were: "It is used in the US, and it is a US site, so it is US." (I think ofc)

ForeverZer0

MegaUpload, which "officially" is from Hong Kong, did most of its business within US borders, including over 1000 servers, and they used PayPal, a US company, to do their transactions. That, along with the ambiguity of "where" the internet is, gave enough for some judge to issue their arrests. 
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

AngryPacman

I don't like that. D:<
G_G's a silly boy.

ForeverZer0

Neither do I.  The whole situation is such bullshit.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Vell

Regardless, they actually were pulling quite a lot of bullshits. It's a legitimate takedown, aside from where Megaupload was officially located.

ForeverZer0

So now that SOPA and PIPA have been successfully stalled, make room for the new label they chose to stick on it.

The OPEN Act.
http://keepthewebopen.com/

G_G

tSwitch

The Megaupload shakedown is legitimate.  There's emails from their servers showing that they were paying via the rewards program to people who they -knew- were uploading copyrighted content, and they themselves were mirroring it with dummy accounts.  They're being given due process of the law, so this is perfectly fine with me.  This is further proof that existing laws are more than enough to deal with legitimate piracy concerns.

Also I refuse to give up liberty for someone else's sake.  Thinking it's ok to lose freedom for security of any sort is the sort of thing that gets us the PATRIOT act and similar legislation.  As Ben Franklin said, those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: tSwitch.us | Twitter | Tumblr

The Niche

Quote from: NAMKCOR on January 22, 2012, 06:58:41 pm
As Ben Franklin said, those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.

This really is the only possible conclusion to be drawn from this discussion. It's ironic, really. A room full of senators and congressmen who claim to be fit to lead can't understand a basic truth that one of their founders expressed when a bunch of nerds with no power can.
Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

Zeriab

Until they figure out a version where they don't shoot themselves too badly they won't get something passed.
At least we can be sure no version which attacks DNSSEC will pass. (Well... where it's known that DNSSEC will be attackeds)

Ryex

Quote from: ForeverZer0 on January 22, 2012, 05:17:32 pm
So now that SOPA and PIPA have been successfully stalled, make room for the new label they chose to stick on it.

The OPEN Act.
http://keepthewebopen.com/

now hold on there. the OPEN act have been around for a while and is actually the GOOD alternative to SOPA .OPEN keeps the web OPEN. you WANT OPEN
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

ForeverZer0

Did you read the bill?

Ryex

I have read it but not in detail, it gives the power to take digital copywrite infringement cases that go outside the borders of the US to the Internationale Trade Commission which already handles patent cases in that area. and that's it.  it accomplishes what SOPA was trying to do with forum websites and give copy-write holders the tools to fight them but it's doesn't make them any more powerful than they already are.

Thats my understanding. and Demand Progress supports that act so i'm inclined to believe I didn't miss any details that would spell disaster.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

SBR*

Piracy can't be stopped, due to the simple fact that this is digital: anything is possible.

Subsonic_Noise

Piracy can be reduced by quite a bit. How? By offering a decent, modern alternative.

The Niche

Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on January 23, 2012, 04:49:18 pm
Piracy can be reduced by quite a bit. How? By offering a decent, modern alternative.

Aye, but ya'll always be left with some out and out cut-throat, peg-legged, parrot owning sea dogs.
Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

Blizzard

ACTA explained

Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on January 23, 2012, 04:49:18 pm

Or by lowering the prices. e.g. $50 for a video game is way too much. 90% of that goes to the publishers anyway. :/ The developers can be happy if they get a chunk of all that money. :/
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

SBR*

January 24, 2012, 10:48:19 am #79 Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 10:49:24 am by SBR*
In Holland, there's an organization called BUMA, which fights for copyrights. They've taxed DVD-r(w)s and the money they earn from it goes straight to the people who have lost money due to piracy. This way, those people won't lose any money, as long as people actually use DVDs for pirated content.