Blizz ABS Defend question

Started by Deekay, January 19, 2012, 03:10:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Deekay

First of all hi everyone  :hi:
You guys do some awesome work around here that has really helped me out in the past.

I have a quick question, if this is just me being a noob feel free to call me on it :P I had a search around the site but couldn't find anything
on this.
I was wondering if there is any quick way of changing the way blocking works in the Blizz ABS?
Such as only being able to block when a shield is equipped, changing the blocking animation depending on what shield is equipped or
choosing what type of damage is blocked (physical attacks/magic attacks)
Reason im wondering is i am planning on having normal shields that block physical attacks and magic shields that block magic based attacks.

As i said, just wondering if any of this functionality is built in to change it quickly, or if i should alter the scripts individually. As the latter
will probably take me a while :P

Thanks.

Boba Fett Link

January 19, 2012, 04:24:56 pm #1 Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 04:09:10 pm by Boba Fett Link
Hello to you too.

Okay, first of all, you can change the blocking animations per shield by turning on defend sprites in the config program (I'd tell you which tab it is under but I don't have access to the config program right now). Look it up in the manual if you need help with that.

Second, BABS is automatically set to defend 100% of damage, which takes place even when no shield is equipped. I suggest you make a common parallel process event that checks if the player has a shield equipped and, if not, it disables the defend button, and if so, enables the defend button. If you need to know how, just ask.
EDIT: I looked in RPG Maker and I don't think that will work the way I intended (I assumed there was a conditional branch condition for no shield equipped, but there isn't). You can still do it that way, but it would involve lots of conditional branches and would probably lag. I think you can use Winkio's Custom Defense script (see below) to do it, but I'm not sure.

Thirdly, to make shields that only block physical attacks or magic attacks, I suggest you use Winkio's Custom Defense Script found here: http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=2106.0
To use it, you must turn off Full Defend in the BABS config program.

QuoteThis script will make the damage taken when defending correspond to the shield.
The shield's shield_mdef and shield_pdef should be an integer from 0-100.  This
number will be converted into a percent (60 -> 60%).  damage taken when
defending will be reduced by this percent of its original using the pdef
percent for attacks and the mdef percent for skills (Ex. 10 damage reduced by
60% = 10 - 6 = 4 damage).

So you could set shields to 100 pdef to block 100% of physical attacks and 100 mdef to block 100% of magic attacks.

Hope all that helps.
This post will self-destruct in 30 seconds.

Deekay

January 21, 2012, 01:50:56 am #2 Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 01:48:56 pm by Deekay
Winkio's script is very nice, just what i was looking for :)

Just one question about the defend sprites. I did look at that, but assumed that would change the character set sprites and not the animation used?
I was wondering, if i can't do it that way, would I be able to use a couple of switches that turn on when using either a physical or magic shield, which
then change the part of the script that sets the defend animation? Is that possible with a call script command?

Thanks for the help, and for the link to Winkio's script. That should be very useful. :)

EDIT: Ok so i figured out the animations, but can't seem to get winkio's script to work :\
I have tried only using blizz abs and winkio's defend script and still I can't get it working. I set the PDEF and MDEF on a shield both to 100, and then fought a basic enemy with the shield
equipped, but still blocking only reduces damage by half. (I did turn off the full defend option in blizz abs if that helps)
Also, still haven't figured out how to only allow blocking when a shield is equipped. Yeah im a noob :P