Mobile Development

Started by winkio, January 19, 2012, 08:50:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

winkio

I know we like our RPGs here, but everyone should seriously consider mobile game development as well.  You have a much more open playing field and a lot more potential to be recognized and/or make money.  For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGfZeJR0ApI

That's right.  A 14 year old kid who had his game played by millions of people.

So get on that.  If you are looking for a starting place: http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,11144.0.html

Blizzard

Mobile platforms (except casual gaming) are probably the only way to be able to properly start a game development company these days. The hardcore market is just flooded way too much with the big guys and games go by unnoticed. I also recommend mobile game development. The near future looks like that a lot of people will be having a smartphone or a tablet PC which makes great platforms for simpler and smaller games.

We at Cateia are going to switch over to mobile development as our main platforms (Android, iOS) and the desktop versions are going to be secondary (currently it's the other way around). It's just the way the market currently stands. Though this trend may not stay the same for too long. The market has changed a lot in only the past 3 years so more change in another single year will already be significant enough.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Zeriab

Mobile gaming does indeed present itself as a good opportunity.

What about XBox 360 development? How do think the ROI looks for developing for that console looks?

PhoenixFire

Well, XNA is a good framework to use, though it's about the same as the PC platform. If you make a decent game, and people like it, the market will not matter. It's about quality product, and getting your name and brand out there via advertising. Some markets such as mobile, are just easier to do that in.
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

Zeriab

XNA does indeed feel nice ^^
If were to develop a game for a phone and didn't consider the market I would definitely choose WP7 because of XNA.
Of course I would consider the market so I wouldn't choose WP7.