SharpDevelop

Started by G_G, January 25, 2012, 08:33:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

G_G

SharpDevelop

Quote from: SharpDevelop#develop (short for SharpDevelop) is a free IDE for C#, VB.NET and Boo projects on Microsoft's .NET platform. It is open-source, and you can download both sourcecode and executables from this site. In addition, you can find the latest information and changes on #develop, as well as get in touch with the team in the forum.

Supported Programming Languages

• C# (Code Completion, Windows Forms Designer)
  • VB.NET (Code Completion, Windows Forms Designer)
  • Boo (Code Completion, Windows Forms Designer)
  • IronPython (Code Conversion, Windows Forms Designer, partial Code Completion)
  • IronRuby (Code Conversion, Windows Forms Designer)
  • F#

Full Features List

This isn't no Visual Studio but its a wonderful IDE for those who don't have admin privileges on Windows computers. I use this at school all the time. While it wasn't made specifically for portable usage, it works all the same if you install it to a flash drive or something. It works almost exactly like Visual Studio when it comes to the Form Designer and Code Completion. Its also cross compatible with Visual Studio projects and solutions so you don't have to start your project all over. The only downside is I haven't been able to figure out how to incorporate XNA (for those who are interested). It also seems to load up much faster than VS. If you're looking for on the go, quick C# development, I definitely recommend this tool.

They currently have two supported versions. Older versions exist for older .NET frameworks (2.0 and 1.1 specifically) but these versions aren't supported and I recommend using one of the latest ones anyways.
4.1 Supports .NET 4.0, 3.5, 3.0, and 2.0
3.2 Supports .NET 3.5, 3.0, and 2.0

ForeverZer0

Its pretty good for a free IDE, but the only real advantage over VS in my opinion is the form builder for IronRuby and IronPython. Those are two things that are missing from VS that I really wish were there.

The start up time is faster, but realistically its a fair trade-off for the 9 billion extra features that VS has.

Still, this is my second choice of an IDE after my beloved Visual Studio.

EDIT:
I smell a 4000th post...
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

G_G

The only reason I suggested it was due to the fact I can run this off of a flash drive. I figured a couple others might be able to benefit off of this. I completely agree, I prefer Visual Studio over any other IDE. I wish it supported all the languages. xD

ForeverZer0

I wasn't aware SD could be portable. Thats a pretty nifty feature.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Ryex

I don't often do development in languages like c# now a days. but when I do I use visual studio. but visual studio takes a good 2 hours to install and is quite heavy on a computer.  this is a nifty find.

POST 4000!  F0, your predictive skills are unparalleled.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />