HUD design

Started by winkio, February 19, 2012, 02:34:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

winkio

Spoiler: ShowHide

Comments?

I'm a little on the fence about how dark the small gray circles are.

Boba Fett Link

Wow.  :O.o: That looks amazing! By small gray circles do you mean the ones labeled U, I, and O? I think they are fine. Only problem I see is that the three bars seem a little small compared to everything else.
This post will self-destruct in 30 seconds.

winkio

Yeah, those were the ones I was talking about.  I lightened them up a little bit anyways.  I think I have to keep the bars small to display either status effects or important items (keys, etc.) above them.

Screenshot in game:

I think it turned out well.  The player on the HUD shows the same animation as the player does on the map, and the ring around the player changes from silver to gold as you get more exp.  There is also a radar related to multiplayer, but I can't show it until I test with my friends later tonight.

Blizzard

I agree that lightening up might do that trick. Right now they look a bit barren. Try white instead of grey.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Aqua

The style of the HUD doesn't seem to match the art style of the people/world.

winkio

February 19, 2012, 06:44:29 pm #5 Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 09:59:52 pm by winkio
I agree with you there.  I want to get the HUD fully functional with mockup art before I turn it over to my artist and have her make the real graphics.  That way if we need to resize something or make a new display, she won't have to redo her work.

EDIT: I didn't get screenshots of multiplayer because we ran into a few bugs (which we fixed, but then I forgot about screenshots).  I'll try and get some tomorrow.

Zexion

I think the problem is that the grey outline on the bars has a metallic finish, and the circles don't. If you were to add the metalic finish on the circles (even the with the lighter grey color) I think it would look more appealing

winkio

Multiplayer screens :)  Each teammate HUD as a radar that points to their position, even if they are on different maps.  It also changes from red to green as you get closer to them.

Zexion

That game looks pretty cool Imo :p

Boba Fett Link

I like the idea of the radar, however the pointer is a little small. Maybe you could make it a little bigger, and therefore more noticeable, on the final version.
This post will self-destruct in 30 seconds.

Zexion

Yeah definately make it bigger, I really couldn't find the radar till I looked for it. Don't be afraid to make it pop out of the circle :p