The Hunger Games and Desensitisation

Started by Kett Shee, February 08, 2012, 09:40:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kett Shee

Recently, my high school's senior English class has been reading The Hunger Games[a few of us that aren't rednecks who can't read well(I'm not being stereotypical, you'd be surprised ._.) have already finished the first book in the series]. It's a good book and I recommend it if you have some reading time. One of the major themes in the book is desensitisation and how it's affecting us today. What is your opinion on society(internationally, not just in the U.S.) being desensitised by media these days if you believe it is at all? Stemming on that question, what do you think this will lead to?
You're all daft cunts. I love you. <3

Boba Fett Link

I chose Hunger Games as my Government Class book last semester. I liked it so much I read the second (Catching Fire) and third (Mockingjay) and then ended up presenting on the third one. Personally, I think the first is the best, the second one is still great, but the third was kind of a let down but still essential to read if you read the first two.

Anyway, now to your question. I think definitely that the media has an effect on us. There is no such thing as being completely unbiased, so whatever view we see from the media is biased in some way and affects our thinking. If a government completely controls the media (Like in Hunger Games), the government can essentially control how people view events.

Also, I'm looking forward to the movie!
This post will self-destruct in 30 seconds.

Tazero

Quote from: Kett Shee on February 08, 2012, 09:40:50 pm
Recently, my high school's senior English class has been reading The Hunger Games[a few of us that aren't rednecks who can't read well(I'm not being stereotypical, you'd be surprised ._.) have already finished the first book in the series]. It's a good book and I recommend it if you have some reading time. One of the major themes in the book is desensitisation and how it's affecting us today. What is your opinion on society(internationally, not just in the U.S.) being desensitised by media these days if you believe it is at all? Stemming on that question, what do you think this will lead to?

Read the whole series last year :D Great book and I hope our world won't end up like that...Dystopian *shudders*

If you were a fish...

Kett Shee

Quote from: Boba Fett Link on February 09, 2012, 06:18:02 pm
I chose Hunger Games as my Government Class book last semester. I liked it so much I read the second (Catching Fire) and third (Mockingjay) and then ended up presenting on the third one. Personally, I think the first is the best, the second one is still great, but the third was kind of a let down but still essential to read if you read the first two.

Anyway, now to your question. I think definitely that the media has an effect on us. There is no such thing as being completely unbiased, so whatever view we see from the media is biased in some way and affects our thinking. If a government completely controls the media (Like in Hunger Games), the government can essentially control how people view events.

I'm about to start chapter 15 of Catching Fire. I have been told that Mockingjay was disappointing by several people now, but I'm still looking forward to reading it. :3 As for the movie, all I can say on that matter is hell to the fucking yes.

I do believe that if the government controlled the media, they could easily influence the opinion of the masses. What I really mean, though, is do you think that people these days are desensitised to things like violence and war because it's so common in TV and movies? The way I see it, it's almost like people crave violence on television. They want to see it, at least that's how I view it.
You're all daft cunts. I love you. <3

SBR*

February 11, 2012, 11:34:45 am #4 Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 11:39:35 am by SBR*
Quote from: Kett Shee on February 11, 2012, 10:48:19 am
Quote from: Boba Fett Link on February 09, 2012, 06:18:02 pm

I'm about to start chapter 15 of Catching Fire. I have been told that Mockingjay was disappointing by several people now, but I'm still looking forward to reading it. :3 As for the movie, all I can say on that matter is hell to the fucking yes.

I do believe that if the government controlled the media, they could easily influence the opinion of the masses. What I really mean, though, is do you think that people these days are desensitised to things like violence and war because it's so common in TV and movies? The way I see it, it's almost like people crave violence on television. They want to see it, at least that's how I view it.

Sometimes, seeing bad things happen makes me feel better about my own situation. Not if I know the people personally, of course. Really bad things (like real violence, murder, natural disasters) grant me mixed feelings. As much as I'd want this not be true, I can't deny it.

EDIT: At least, that's what I think what happens. Another possibility is that I like the change, for my life is pretty repetitive. I like the repetitiveness, though. That's probably why I'm occasionally having problems with OCD. However, if something big happens which doesn't have anything to do with me, I like that.

Am I evil?

Vell

In the ancient days, people gathered together and saw people fight for their lives with no weapons, having been starved, against similarly starved beasts such as lions or bears. But not tigers, so don't none ofyou go "oh my!" on me. They did this not as a punishment for the individual, but to be entertained by the hapless man's desperate fight for freedom, which almost never was earned because they'd get slaughtered and eaten alive by the lions or other people. They had a huge ring with exceedingly complex workings directly udnerneath the stage that allowed for it to do its job very efficiently.

Guys, people being amused and entertained by violence is nothing new. The desensitisation has been almost constant throughout human society. It's less that "the media is making us insensitive" and more that we're becoming more sensitive to the insensitivity.

Boba Fett Link

This post will self-destruct in 30 seconds.