Updates on my life

Started by winkio, February 28, 2012, 08:50:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

winkio

I figured that since I'm too busy to do much of anything around here, some of you would be interested in hearing what I am doing with my life :)

Classes are as time consuming as ever, and are generally the least useful thing I do, at least in my opinion.  This semester, however, I am also doing research and working on a game in a group project.  Research has been pretty fun so far, as I've been setting up a control system for a prosthetic hand with a large number of degrees of freedom, similar to this one:
Spoiler: ShowHide

The cool part is that over the summer, I get to integrate EEG input into the control system, which means that we will be able to control the robotic hand by thought.  While all this has been done before, the main thing that my lab is looking at is how to apply tactile feedback in order to increase performance of the user of the hand.  For example, if somebody loses their hand, they can have a prosthetic one attached and controlled, but it's difficult to know when they are touching or grasping something and how hard the contact is.  This is the problem we are looking to address.

I've posted a few screenshots of the game I'm working on over here.  While I have learned how to implement a few new game mechanics (networking, serialized gamestates, etc.), the most important thing I've learned has been how to manage a team of people.  My team includes myself, an artist, and 3 computer science students, so there is a lot of potential to make a great game.  The biggest challenge at first was getting people to do exactly what was needed.  I quickly found out that my instructions were too vague or incomplete, which led to incomplete features and bugs being worked into the game.  I eventually figured out how to guide everyone on what they needed to do while still giving them room for exploration and creativity.  We are working really well together now, and should have a great game done at the end of the semester.

This game also lead to me being recruited for another summer job which has me pretty excited.  I will be working as a solo developer in a game that models the Intelligence Analyst job at a place such as the FBI or CIA.  The basic concept is that there are feeds of information that each team gets about different actions and events around the game world, and it is the team's job to determine what information constitutes a real threat (such as a bombing, a bioweapon, etc.), and which are red herrings (fake information).  It is complicated by the fact that each team can broadcast false information, and each team has agents that can move around and affect the game world.  It's a really cool premise, and I get to make some really good personal connections with it.  It will be used in by some feeder programs (programs designed to train people to get into intelligence) as a training tool, with the potential to be used or modified by the FBI in the near future.  The best part is that between this job and my research, I'll be pulling in roughly $12,000 over my 3 months of summer, which isn't bad for an undergraduate student who has student loans to pay off.

So that's pretty much where I am right now.  I'll be looking at grad schools for a Robotics program pretty soon, but there's not much more I can say about that.  Things are looking pretty good right now, and they will keep getting better from here on out, so I'm pretty happy with life :)

ForeverZer0

You seem to have a lot of very interesting things going on, and seem to be getting into fields of work that are your passion. That's one ingredient to a recipe for a good future.  I'm glad to hear things are going well for you, and I wish you all the luck in the world.

You should make some more posts about the robotics thing. That stuff is fascinating to me. :D
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

winkio

Will do.  We should have some papers coming out of it at the end of April and again at the end of July.

Blizzard

You might be working for the FBI/CIA? O_O *hides all the CP* :V:
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.