What triggers "Unexpected File Format"?

Started by Simplent, March 02, 2012, 06:29:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Simplent

I just got the "Unexpected File Format" error on my RMXP project, but I luckily had a backup this time. This is the second game I've received the error on. I'm just wondering if there's anything common that can trigger this error, because when I run the "game.exe", I get the error "Could not load script.". Can custom scripts conflict with the game and cause the error? I just want to know what I shouldn't do to prevent this error.
Oh, am I supposed to put something here?

G_G

"Could not load script" means the Scripts.rxdata is corrupted, which also explains the "Unexpected file format." The only way custom scripts could do that is if they open the file and alter the data. How does any file get corrupted? An application opens it, puts in improper data or an improper format. Or the file doesn't get closed after write operations. Which can happen if the editor crashes.

Simplent

Quote from: game_guy on March 02, 2012, 06:50:09 pm
"Could not load script" means the Scripts.rxdata is corrupted, which also explains the "Unexpected file format." The only way custom scripts could do that is if they open the file and alter the data. How does any file get corrupted? An application opens it, puts in improper data or an improper format. Or the file doesn't get closed after write operations. Which can happen if the editor crashes.

So, my guess is that there's no way to reverse the error?

ForeverZer0

Are you modifying or using any program that modifies Scripts.rxdata aside from the editor?
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Simplent

Quote from: ForeverZer0 on March 02, 2012, 08:43:47 pm
Are you modifying or using any program that modifies Scripts.rxdata aside from the editor?

No I'm not. But, before I got the error, I was getting a script error from a CBS I was using. I believe it was something similar to "Error '*Sideview 2* NoMethodError: undefined method "push_stand_player" nil:NilClass".

ForeverZer0

Something modified your .rxdata files. Then fact that it does it when you run  a game, and don't even load it yet probably means the it changing files other than Scripts.rxdata.

Do a search of your scripts for "rxdata" and see what custom scripts have that somewhere in there and see what they are doing.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.