ClickOnce

Started by Dweller, March 11, 2012, 03:13:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller

I´m finishing Actorsprite Maker (on Visual C#) and now I´m thinking on a way to update the program. I have 120 resources ready to launch with the first version (I use imagelist/listview to manage with them inside the program), and I want to update those resource online. ClickOnce looks like what I'm looking for, so I want to ask if any of the programmers here have ever use it or at least now if it's suitable for my objetives.
Dwellercoc
Spoiler: ShowHide

ForeverZer0

I personally hate ClickOnce, and it is worthless for offline use. It forces the user to download the app everytime it is used.
I usually create an updater something like this.

• Upload a file that simply contains version information

• Have the main app check this version number and compare to local one

• If the online version is higher, it downloads the files.

• If you want to update the actual executable, you will need to launch a separate process. Make sure this app closes the main one you are trying to update. I make the command line args the filepath and PID of the process. You can also just check the running process on the computer to make sure all instances are closed

• Then simply download the file and save it to the path that was passed in the argument.

• Restart the main app from the updater, and there you go.

I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Dweller

I´m testing now ClickOnce, but propably I´ll try your recomendation.

thanks ForeverZer0.
Dwellercoc
Spoiler: ShowHide