Faceset Vs. Character Bust

Started by ShadowPierce, March 12, 2012, 09:30:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowPierce

I've been thinking which would be better to use for my game, facesets or  character busts. For those who don't know what I'm talking about:
This is a faceset:
Spoiler: ShowHide

While this is a character bust:

Yeah, I know... It sucks... :P

Originally, I planned to use character busts for my game because I thought not many indie games do that, and that would give a more detailed visualization of the characters' physical appearance... However, try as I might, it just doesn't come out as I imagined... I tried looking for graphic artists but the good ones want to be paid, which I just can't afford...  :<_<:

On the other hand, facesets are free and can be generated easily with a program... It would also be a lot easier to generate various emotions for each character depending on the dialogue... Although it's easier, it just doesn't compare to a character bust...  :(

If I would continue making my own character busts, it would feel more fulfilling and I'd be more satisfied, but it might take forever for me to finish one for each main character...  :^_^':

I'm at a loss right now, so I want opinions... Though your opinions will affect my final decision, it will still be my own decision so don't worry about being blamed... :D

Quote from: Blizzard on February 16, 2011, 03:44:48 pmThere you go. It's the proof that SDK is crap. It's incompatible with itself.
3DS Friend Code: ShowHide
1161-0627-9890

Blizzard

You pretty much already nailed it down, the pros and cons. I, personally, don't like character busts too much. They take up too much screen and I kinda enjoy seeing the little sprites interact with each other.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

ShadowPierce

Quote from: User #1 on March 12, 2012, 09:38:52 am
I kinda enjoy seeing the little sprites interact with each other.

That can easily be resolved with a little fade out whenever sprites do actions.

Although I do prefer character busts, it's getting frustrating how much time it takes to draw something as simple as that plate of ugliness up there... :xD:

I can always get some busts from visual novel rips, but then I'll have to stray from my original character concept... :P

Quote from: Blizzard on February 16, 2011, 03:44:48 pmThere you go. It's the proof that SDK is crap. It's incompatible with itself.
1161-0627-9890

ShadowPierce

1161-0627-9890

Fallen Angel X

I personally like character busts. But yeah, it'd definitely be a lot more effort. But you don't go into making games thinking it'll be a cake-walk anyways. If you really feel like character busts would be preferable and you're really serious, I say bust your ass and implement busts. If you're not too serious, I say do whatever.

Quote from: Blizzard on March 12, 2012, 09:38:52 am
You pretty much already nailed it down, the pros and cons. I, personally, don't like character busts too much. They take up too much screen and I kinda enjoy seeing the little sprites interact with each other.

I guess if you pull off the screen design really well, this problem wouldn't be as big a problem. Although, I'd say busts might detract attention from the player when it's needed elsewhere. I still like busts though xD

Subsonic_Noise

I like busts because you can see the female character's breasts in them.

Now for serious. I like them, especially how they are pulled off in Baten Kaitos.

As you can see, it's kind of a mix between both.. nice, detailed characters, plenty of screen space. Ideal solution imho.
This game also is a piece of art.

Actually, you should all abandon your game ideas now and play Baten Kaitos instead.

AJNR95

April 10, 2012, 02:21:25 pm #6 Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 02:24:36 pm by AJNR95
I thought a "Bust" was the Chest to Head images. Examples of it are in the RMVX RTP, not the actual Faces in the game.
I think those are nicely done in a game if well executed. "Well Executed" meaning attractive detail in the bust,
balancing transparency in the image, justified size and space taken by the bust, and the transition of an entering and
exiting bust. However, that's high end stuff, but if I can make a bust (I have a Bamboo Tablet) I would show you what
I mean visually. But I'm too lazy, probably next year.

Edit:

These are the RMVX Character Bust:

by Blizz: Spoilered, because image is 2.6 MB.
by AJNR95: Unspoilered, because fuck you - ¡Viva la Revolución!
by Blizz: Spoilered again, and Banned.

ShadowPierce

Actually, it was wrong to call mine busts... Portraits would be more appropriate... :P

Also, I decided to use both portraits and facesets for my game... Facesets for dialogue while portraits for the menu... :3

1161-0627-9890