Windowskin I made (critique welcome)

Started by GrimTrigger, April 08, 2012, 07:29:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GrimTrigger

April 08, 2012, 07:29:59 pm Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 07:38:34 pm by GrimTrigger
Just a Windowskin that I use for my game. Thought I'd upload it and see what you all think. Feel free to use it if you like it.

The WindowSkin:
Spoiler: ShowHide

Calintz

well it looks like it was made well. can we get a screenshot of what it looks like in use?

GrimTrigger

My bad, I didn't have the IMG links set up right..... :(

(In Menu)

(During cutscene)

Calintz

i like it during the cut scene more.
i would like to see the border blend into the back drop a little better if you could make that work somehow.

i give it a 3/5 stars.

GrimTrigger

April 08, 2012, 08:45:22 pm #4 Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 08:49:29 pm by GrimTrigger
Quote from: Calintz on April 08, 2012, 08:24:08 pm
i like it during the cut scene more.
i would like to see the border blend into the back drop a little better if you could make that work somehow.

i give it a 3/5 stars.

Rated it higher than expected.

Do you mean the dark lines on the interior border? I used the blur effect tool with GIMP, this is what I got. Better? I think it looks a little smoother...

Here is the updated resource:

Calintz

yes. i like the softer black outline you just improved on, but i meant the entire border in general. that solid grey is a very strong contrast to the brown. i feel like the colors don't do one another justice. maybe reducing the saturation for both colors will bring them together slightly. i also think it's odd to have one texture for your backdrop, but then to completely go in another direction with texture for the border. there is a lot going on in your windowskin. separately, they are decent designs; i just feel like the border and the backdrop don't blend well.

GrimTrigger

Ya I know what you're saying.

I was drawing inspiration from something like this, but I admit I haven't put a whole lot of time into making the two colors not clash too much

Calintz

if you notice on the shield, the brown is much deeper and closer to black than the brown in your windowskin. drop the saturation on your wood backdrop and see how it compliments the silver. it might not hurt to drop the saturation on the silver either.

GrimTrigger

Quote from: Calintz on April 08, 2012, 09:16:54 pm
if you notice on the shield, the brown is much deeper and closer to black than the brown in your windowskin. drop the saturation on your wood backdrop and see how it compliments the silver. it might not hurt to drop the saturation on the silver either.

This seems more in line with the shield

...and in the menu

Calintz

personally, i think it looks MUCH better in the darker tone. good work!