Confucianism

Started by winkio, March 18, 2012, 06:23:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

winkio

March 18, 2012, 06:23:11 pm Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 11:00:55 pm by winkio
Due to recent life events, I've learned a lot about the person I am, and it reminded me of the teachings of Confucius.  So I started reading the analects again (http://classics.mit.edu/Confucius/analects.html).  Really good stuff.  I discovered that many of the ideas from the analects that I conflicted with in high school are now ingrained into my core personality.  Just thought it would be a good read for people interested in morality, etc, and something non-inflammatory we could discuss.

EDIT: really liked this quote:
QuoteThe Master said, "Let his words be sincere and truthful and his actions honorable and careful;-such conduct may be practiced among the rude tribes of the South or the North. If his words be not sincere and truthful and his actions not honorable and carefull will he, with such conduct, be appreciated, even in his neighborhood?

Blizzard

I'm planning to look up Buddhism a bit. What are some core beliefs of Confucianism? I think I believe in integrity, inner peace and love for oneself as well as love for others.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

winkio

Confucianism deals with both inner morality and moral leadership.  The inner morality component focuses on self-reliance, knowledge, righteousness, and humility, among other things, while the leadership component focuses on popular rule, hierarchical structure, and positive reinforcement.  If I had to pick two words to describe confucianism, they would be righteousness and reciprocity.