A RPG Maker XP ripoff? Eclipse Origins

Started by Futendra, April 06, 2012, 04:43:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Futendra

April 06, 2012, 04:43:15 am Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 05:00:16 am by Futendra
I was searching for resources as I came across this:

Eclipse Origins v2 Beta

Just wanted to share it with you guys, maybe someone is intrested or something?

winkio

Definitely using RM resources, seems like an online multiplayer system.  Interesting find.

Futendra

Quote from: winkio on April 06, 2012, 04:59:16 am
Definitely using RM resources, seems like an online multiplayer system.  Interesting find.

Indeed, but I am now on my dad's laptop as my room is empty for a new floor so I cannot test it out. If someone tests this please post here what it is exactly? (Still don't have my resources >:( )

stripe103

Wow, they have updated it quite much since I last used it for like a half year ago :) Though then it was just Eclipse.

G_G

I've used it before, its an online MMO engine. Its a decent engine to say the least. All they did was use RM graphics, and like in previous discussions before, isn't that big of a deal if their not making money off of the software.

Futendra

April 06, 2012, 07:47:30 am #5 Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 07:49:17 am by Futendra
Quote from: game_guy on April 06, 2012, 07:33:13 am
I've used it before, its an online MMO engine. Its a decent engine to say the least. All they did was use RM graphics, and like in previous discussions before, isn't that big of a deal if their not making money off of the software.

I can't try it out right now so just a question: Are you very free to edit and such or not really?

(offtopic): ShowHide
(YOUR SIG IS DISTRACTING ME!)

Zexion

I am currently working on a project with this engine. The whole engine was made in Visual Basic 6. You can (and almost HAVE to) edit everything in visual basic. It's pretty easy compared to rgss though. Nice little engine for small online games.

Ryex

April 07, 2012, 09:28:54 pm #7 Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 07:46:04 am by Ryex
Quote from: Zexion on April 06, 2012, 07:24:43 pm
You can (and almost HAVE to) edit everything in visual basic. It's pretty easy compared to rgss though.

... excuse me while I do a spit take.

*GULP* PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT *Accidentally sprays Blizz with water as he walks in returning from the hospital*  heh, sorry

Any way, let me tell you about VB and VB6 specifically. it is THE WORST language EVER conceived, it's syntax and key words are contrived and mangled making reading anything written in it a process of decryption rather than an easy stroll down logic lane like Ruby. Back when I was still working on PNO and JC switched to using the eclipse engine I was working on porting the dynamic time and environmental system from RGSS. trying to come up with equivalent programming para-dimes was a nightmare. I also ported JC trainer card maker from VB6 to php because the VB6 version had a memory leak and the process of updating trainer cards was depended on the user logging out properly.

The Eclipse engine is a very good engine for what it is intended to do, but using it is anything but cake. and programming in VB6 to expand and enhance it for specific purposes is a "uncomfortable" experience even if the internal structure of the engine makes it pretty easy to enhance, it's well thought out from that point of view. but I hate VB with a burning passion.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Zexion

Well I got the hang of it pretty quickly, and even learned how to do form work, and that's coming from me. (only knows 2 programming langs rgss and java, and sucks at both.)

Ryex

bah! to each his own I suppose.  I still hate VB with the burning passion of 1000 suns
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

G_G

Quote from: Ryex on April 08, 2012, 07:52:16 am
bah! to each his own I suppose.  I still hate VB with the burning passion of 1000 suns

This is me and Java.

ForeverZer0

Everyone hates Java, yet it is still extremely popular for some reason...
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

G_G

stripe103

The reason probably being compability. Windows, Mac, Linux, phones and webbrowsers.

ForeverZer0

Well yes, obviously, but there are other (better) languages that the same can be said for.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.