Good free Game Library?

Started by stripe103, April 10, 2012, 02:11:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

stripe103

Hai Chaos!

I was just wondering if there is any good, free and somewhat simple game libraries out there. I would prefer C# since that's what I'm best with but post anything good you have anyway :)
I'm currently using the AGate Library, but I have had some problems with it and you can't really do too much with it. (Audio for example isn't easy to get to work)

Note for some: I search only game libraries that handle graphics, audio and input and lets me program everything else. No finished game engines such as Unity3D or UDK.

winkio

Well I don't know how 'simple' of a library you are looking for, but XNA is a robust and fully featured library, with everything from 3D graphics and shaders, to audio, to networking, to data storage, with the added bonus of deploying to Windows, Xbox, and windows phone from the same code.  There are even numerous free specialized engines built on top of XNA that you can download.  And Microsoft has a bunch of sample projects with example code that is well commented.  I would definitely recommend it as a starting place to build an understanding of game programming before moving to a more complex and powerful library.

On the more serious route, OGRE is a more professional free engine and can built built in a variety of languages (C++, Python, C#, etc.).  It's harder to work with, but much more powerful. 

I'm pretty sure we have a topic like this somewhere, let me look for it.

stripe103

April 10, 2012, 02:56:56 am #2 Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 03:00:10 am by stripe103
I have tried to work with XNA multiple times but I've never really got an idea of how to work with it the best way but I guess I should keep on trying.
Like I said I've worked with the Agate Library some, and it have kinda the same workflow like RGSS, as in you have scenes(classes inhereited from Scene_Base or equal so you can store them in a global variable) and then do the main in that scene that makes it loop and update the graphics and everything like that.
That is the most logical way to me to work.
When it comes to OGRE, I have seen it before but never got to try it, but I'll see what it's about :)

Thank you for the VERY quick answer, Winkio.

winkio

I found the topic I was thinking of but it was just about Ogre, it didn't have any other engines.

Also, I can't believe I didn't include this before, but Corona SDK is geared towards mobile platforms (iOS, Android, etc.) and has a decent library with scene based setups.  It uses Lua for the scripting language, which is really easy to learn (it has a lot in common with Ruby).

stripe103

I think I'll check out OGRE first, since I don't have a iPhone or Mac, so that don't work, and I don't think that Corona works with Android 1.6.. Also, it isn't free :)

winkio

Corona is actually set up similar to how ARC will be, in that they have a free, unlimited time trial version where the only disabled feature is commercially publishing the game to the app store.  It's not quite as good of an option though if you don't have the mobile devices.

Blizzard

I've worked with PyOgre and Python. There were problems regarding memory management because of combining two languages of which one has a garbage collector and the other doesn't. But apart from that Ogre is pretty well organized. It's quite complex, but only if you want to use the bazillion things it supports. If you keep things relatively simple, you can make a 2D game and even a 3D game engine without too much hassle as most elementary things required (input, window creation, rendering, etc.) are handled by Ogre. I definitely recommend it.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.