Barricade Doors

Started by Vexus, April 11, 2012, 02:39:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Vexus

April 11, 2012, 02:39:54 pm Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 07:27:21 pm by Vexus
Not sure where to post this as I'm only showing my idea for the public to see what people think about it, excuse me if I posted in the wrong place.

So apart of somnium I have some plans on another game which will be horror. I am trying to make it hard by having to defend yourself with the surroundings not with weapons (Thinking on not giving the player any "weapon") so I thought about the idea of barricading doors/windows so that you could stop the infected from reaching you fast at the cost of locking the door completely unless the infected destroy it.

Here's a video showing a simple thing I did to preview it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwDLilU19g4

Obviously the wording will change into something neater, (Instead of wooden plank 1, an icon of the item would show.) and don't mind the infected eating the corpse it was an experiment I was doing with priority :P. (The crawling model is not finished yet.)

I am planning on using BlizzABS and having the doors a "living thing" so that they could have life when attacked by the infected and by barricading them they would get a boost in their duration (Life) to give you more time to escape or plan some trap/s.

So what do you people think?

It's not something that hard apart of having to make models for each type of door/window that can be barricaded but I'll gladly do it.

Cheers.
Current Project/s:

KK20

Make it so that the player has to mash a key to build it faster/stronger. The idea of having windows to select what level of protection you want seems...weird.

It sounds like it would work for your game. Or any kind of survival game really.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

Calintz

i agree. when your life is on the life you don't make decisions about what material to build a barricade with, or how strong to make it; you just go for broke and pray. i recommend having an event system that uses Input.repeat?(:sym) to increase a variable. as the variable increases, reinforce the barricade with more wood (give it more HP). use different graphics for the wood depending on your player's location and his surroundings if you want a nice aesthetic touch.

Vexus

April 11, 2012, 06:35:00 pm #3 Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 06:36:33 pm by Vexus
I made those choices in less than 5 minutes to show what I meant, don't take them as final version :).

By light and heavy barricades I meant that light barricade would require less wood but provides less protection while heavy barricade more wood but more protection.

I'd rather have some drop down menu instead of choices, something like the script posted on this forum but exclusively only for these type of choices instead of replacing the enter button with the mouse click but well there isn't and I'm not going to request one for now as I haven't started anything on it apart of custom sprites and ideas.
Current Project/s:

Calintz

April 11, 2012, 06:43:42 pm #4 Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 06:45:17 pm by Calintz
personally, i think it would be extremely annoying to cut into heated gameplay where you're being chased around or the enemy is on their way to have to select the kind of barricade you want to make. think about it; if you're trying to cycle through a dropdown list and the enemies are only seven panels from you, if their speed is normal or higher you're in serious trouble before you finish selecting your barricade. i think you should make it a given and build your barricades without text or decision making at all.

Vexus

Depending on the game I guess.

The game I was thinking on doing would be heavily on the story and not so open where your going to wander wherever you want, in other words most fights would be evented giving you some time to think. I understand your point and the infected still can't open doors, they would still need to break them but I was thinking on having that atmosphere that your in a tight situation and one wrong move can result in death.

I'll see what to do regarding the problem (Maybe everything stops when the drop down list or choices window is visible?) and hopefully the solution will be good for what I have in mind while remaining viable for people playing.
Current Project/s:

Calintz

i'll stay tuned. i would like to see where you go with this.