Previous topic - Next topic

AJNR95

April 14, 2012, 05:01:15 am Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 06:30:14 pm by AJNR95
Rupture
An attempt at Horror Survival
"Rupture": ShowHide
]

Please Read
Please understand that I am a one man team and don't intend to group up with anyone. I'm able to progress the game
but my progress is very unreliable and skeptical. This is why I don't wish to team up with people, because expectations
and due dates come, and we all have lives to live. However, I will post this out of enthusiasm and expression, to pass
on to you guys to share, create and play. I would love your ideas and questions, my story is very simple and flexible,
however, there is no spine in it yet. So most ideas are welcome, however, characters will not go under major revisions
although they're not heavily detailed yet. This forum makes me feel productive and enthusiastic again for RMXP
and I would love to tackle old challenges with a more experienced mind.

Notice Text that has been blacked out are considered spoilers. Select and drag your mouse over
them to read whats inside.

Storyboard
Vague/Sketchy Phase
Intro Storyboard (Novel Style): ShowHide

As of April 14 of 2012, the story starts here:
You - or - The Player, have woken in an abandoned hospital. Blanketed in darkness, you examine your surroundings
after temporarily overcoming your inundating emotions of fear - fear of change, fear of isolation, fear of imagination,
fear of fear itself. Across the room from you, is a broken door. You notice that the door is constructed of advanced
technology that couldn't match the power of whatever it was that destroyed it. It's door hangs limp, taunting you with a
silent beckon. Your vision starts to gradually adapt to the darkness and you muster your misfit courage for a false threat.

You walk pass the door, as it gently shoves you into the next room. You feel confident of your new energy and slowly walk
down the new room. You notice the wide area is scattered with boxes that you don't have interest in opening, however,
directly in front of you is a corridor. This entrance of the corridor bisects the wall it leans on. You notice two doors to each
side of the corridor. You walk closer to the corridor and more boxes develop within the seen darkness. There is a still silence
that clenches your nerves. As you begin to walk toward the corridor you notice that the entrance was originally a thin metal
gate, that is now just a gaping hole. You notice it was a clean destruction, for the hole is not jagged and there is no haphazard
cluster around the fraud entrance. But your eyes are too trained on the edges of the hole, that you miss the first action that
was followed by echoing footsteps. Footsteps that were not hostile and approached you, but those that were light and soft and
avoided you. You saw a small head darting left and right, getting smaller very quickly. You take a step closer, but you here a door
bang open. Was that a child? You hope to God it is, because your imagination now torrents your head, and some malicious
thoughts have bypassed your ignorance toward a less welcome part of imagination.

You check each door before you proceed down the corridor, the left one's handle was free and proposed the door was open.
But as you opened the door, it did not move. Something behind it was leaning on the door, obstructed it's way. You quickly
assume that nothing of importance is within the room and proceed to the second door. The door disallows you to enter,
learning that it's locking, and you immediately exclude yourself from that conflict. Your hopes light a little as you enter the
corridor, having to lazily weave through a small barrage of boxes that have no business inside the hallway. You see a single
door that is cracked opened, probably the lock was broken and the door can't close all the way.

You open it to a wider and much longer hallway. You quickly catch sight of a light glowing faintly from underneath door,
just one door, out of the many here. Seeing the barren place and vacant wheeled beds, still wheel chairs, and glossy white
and green (or whatever color that might be) textiles on the floor, you inference you're in a hospital. But seeing that light as
the only sign of human left here, you steadily proceed to it. Your hair jumps as you hear breathing, heavy breathing. But after
a second of stillness, you realize it was just you. The absence of sound was devastating. It was like standing in an empty,
black void. The start your walk again toward the door and touch the metal handle of the lit door -

-
Intro Storyboard (Game Style): ShowHide

You awake, not knowing what happened prior or during your 'coma'. The game will ask you if you wish to be given a
tutorial of the basic controls or not, the dialogue is odd, signaling you to question the source of the messages

After completing or skipping the relay of messages, you can proceed to the door above you. By now, you should notice
the darkness around you, the size of your view distance will increase and decrease over the course of the game, my lighting
in this game is a little more elaborate than your standard "Place Center of Image on Player" event system.
You're now
in the second room of the game. The bottom area, which you entered, is wide and further above, is a corridor. Within both
areas, is an abundance of boxes that obstruct your pathway. On each side of the entrance to the corridor are two doors, one
is learned to be constructed while the other is locked. When you approach the corridor, footsteps are emitted and a shadow
runs away from you, followed by the slam of a door. You proceed by navigate around a simple mess of boxes and approach an
open door

The third map is not constructed, but the "Novel Style" continues into an idea of the third map.

-
Summarization/Main Idea: ShowHide

The player is fighting with himself to overcome depression that has thrown him into insanity. His companions
that he meets up with, are his emotions and feelings, they will be introduced and/or killed off by the actions of the player

Setting is not very imperative at the time, but when it needs to be considered, it will be considered. Within the Player's new world,
he must progress through the story in order to find his final consequence. The remaining companions will judge how the game will end. This is the only purpose of the companions, they will only appear via cutscenes. Failure to survive within the mind of the Player will bring an earlier slumber to him, as we all know.

-

Main Character
The Player: ShowHide

General Purpose:
Protagonist, Player

o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o

Background:

Not much is known about you, but your recent turn of events have led you here. After the death of
your mother, being expelled from college, and being abandoned by your girlfriend you hit reality hard.
Your father, whom barely cared about, doesn't give a very hospitable vibe toward your recent change.
You never liked your father anyhow. So you decided not to go, delved into sadness and frustration you've
entered a time where you only coped with apathy. It was best friend, ignorance is bliss. But life hit hard one
last time as you departed from college, with little money and far from "Home". Although much has
not happened in numbers, much has happened in power. The power of change, that you cannot resist or
overpower. You just have to sit there and let it drown you. You start to spiral down in drugs with new friends
whom you barely cracked the ice with, but the sense of social connection tugged you to move. Move in any direction,
it did not matter.

Description: Your of average build, and a young adult, within early twenties. However, recently, you've
been wearing clothes that hide yourself and meld you in with others. Making you completely anonymous, and if it
keeps up, you'll be completely anonymous with yourself.

Secondary Characters

General Purpose: The Player's Emotion and Feeling of Happiness, Hope and Joy

Background: She was the girl that ran away from you in the beginning. She didn't
know who you were, but if you were able to, you've grown a relationship with her, or you'd rejected her several times.
She does not like to be alone, and embraces every warmth of light she can cling onto. She might accompany you
throughout the whole story if you allow her to, but look at her, you wouldn't want anything bad to happen to her,
right?

Description: She's a small girl with a light yellow dress. Her little shoes however, create
a louder than necessary noise for a girl of such light weight. She is helpless physically, but powerful inside. It is difficult
to maintain her, but it is more difficult to maintain without her.[\glow]

-
Cory: ShowHide

General Purpose: The Player's Emotion and Feeling of Courage, Generosity and Bravery

Background: Introduction not created yet. He is a tall, dark skinned man who speaks
with a confident, low voice. He steps silently most of the time, but stands out when needed. He talks with a clinging
humor in his voice, never looking down. He is stubborn, but not arrogant, he would be a real nice friend.

Description: He's a tall, lean, dark man. He wears casual clothes, but a shirt of a bright
red color. His innocence is long gone, but his good will still remains. He is the first to venture into a new room, even
before the Player. His will is hard to change, he will do what he thinks is right or die trying. Die - trying.

-
Sally: ShowHide

General Purpose: The Player's Sadness, Regret and Overwhelm

Background: Introduction not created yet. She is a middle aged woman
that does not trust and rely on herself. She walks more alert than others at all times, she never lets her
guard and sometimes panics at a false illusion of her paranoia

Description: She's a thin, pale, middle-aged woman who is very dependent
because she cannot trust herself with anything. She wears a frail, white dress that's been wrung of color.
She does not have an ill will, but she is too confused to clearly think of her actions

-

General Purpose: The Player's Anger, Rage and Ambition

Background: Introduction not created yet. He is a young man,
to be around the age of the Player to be exact. But he stands a bit taller than the Player. However,
what others lack, he excels in. Flare, Ambition, and Determination, Roy will make many conflicts
easier for the Player, at some expense.

Description: The young man stands taller than the Player, and has a
stronger push than him, and a straighter back. Okay, let's stop comparing the two, we need to make
the Player feel good that he's around, not jealous. Although he shows less empathy toward the others,
he is a man with an able goal. He doesn't care if someone is lost or crying, it's his progress and he'll
make it own his own if he has to. Less weight to lug around.

-
Second Phase Characters: ShowHide

Summary: "Second Phase" Secondary Characters are the reincarnation
of the original Secondary Character, but with a complete opposite personality. If you venture this
deep, you can see how you've influenced them as a "Player"

Background Characters

- Girlfriend
- Mom
- Dad
- Drug Friends
- Doctor(s)

Gameplay
The Element of Horror: ShowHide
I will try my best to implement the feeling of the player being threatened to
be hummed through the whole game. Battle Systems work with 'lightweight' scripts, flourishing skill in sprites
and advanced AI. Guess what? I'm not good at that. There will be an Active Battle System (Blizzard ABS)
within the game. It's your choice to use it or not. You need it now and then, but not every single time.
There are monsters within the game. And in this version, they do heavy damage. Most will be evented enemies,
and some will be placed upon the terrain. There is not a horrible variety for monsters, you won't need a PokeDex.
But there is enough to start an idea for a strategy for each. A strategy to fight, and a strategy to evade. This is
what I aim for. I am tired of these generic, helpless, repetitive, dull horror games

-
The Element of Surprise: ShowHide
I will refrain from spamming images I found from Google with the safe search
off, and keep such an occasion as a rarity. A scary surprise is still scary and surprising, but dull after done too
many times. I will try to implement the ingenious mapping of events similar to Cry of Fear's, where enemies pop
up where they haven't after retrieving a key item, or making a door event into something more excited. Hopefully,
I won't wuss out of this project.

-
The Element of Survival: ShowHide
Yes, you will be able to fight back. But not like you're playing Dynasty Warriors.
You can choose to use combat, or run and survive a bit better. Whichever is better for you. I will make combat
limited, with ammunition and number of required fighting. Trust me, you'll figure it out after a Game Over or two.
There will be a scarce amount of recovery items among the game. And they don't heal immediately.

-
The Element of Roleplaying: ShowHide
I will aim for the variety of choice nearing that of Dragon Age: Origins (Dragon
Age 2 is crap, don't get me started) where you'll have plenty of choices, plenty of times, with plenty of actions
and plenty of consequences. This means plenty of Conditional Branches, Variables and Switches for me, oh joy!
To add on to that, you will receive traits that can benefit if you build a relationship with characters. You will have
a relationship status with Companions, and actions speak a lot louder than words.

-
The Element of Creativity: ShowHide
I have the fundamental events anchored down already. This game will allow
running, jump, sneaking, platform, puzzling, fighting and roleplaying. I will try to stay at a high standard when
it comes to writing, because every RM Horror game lacks writing. And some indirect humor wouldn't penalize the
game's horror so much.

(Jesus Christ, that's a lot of typing. Microsoft Word says this is near 2,500 Characters.)

Please leave any suggestions, advice or opinions. They are welcome with open arms, I guess.
The story is flimsy for now, but I'll bang in some nails and wood over time. If you have noticed any
grammatical errors that might misled you, please tell me. You will receive a trophy for reading it.

Please Read
I'm able to progress the game but my progress is very unreliable and skeptical. I would love your ideas and
questions, my story is very simple and flexible, however, there is no spine in it yet. So most ideas are welcome,
however, characters will not go under major revisions although they're not heavily detailed yet.

Lighting System
Spoiler: ShowHide
Spoiler: ShowHide

by Blizz: Spoilered, because image is 2.6 MB.
by AJNR95: Unspoilered, because fuck you - ¡Viva la Revolución!
by Blizz: Spoilered again, and Banned.