[RMVX] Movement Speed and Framerate

Started by Calintz, April 14, 2012, 09:07:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Calintz

April 14, 2012, 09:07:53 pm Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 09:21:38 pm by Calintz
i was wondering if anybody could help me convert movement speed into frame rate for rmvx. like rmxp, you have 4X faster, 2X faster, normal, 2X slower, 4X slower, and 8X slower. now the frame rate is 60 in rmvx as opposed to rmxp's 40, so how does these compare? if rmxp's "normal" speed was 40, does that mean that the "normal" speed is 60 frames in rmvx and so on?

this is a good piece of information to know if you are scrolling the screen. it makes your calculations much more precise.

RMVX Speed to Frame Rate:
1: 8X slower = 120 frames
2: 4X slower = 60 frames
3: 2X slower = 30 frames
4: 1X normal = 15 frames
5: 2X faster = 10 frames
6: 4X faster = 5 frames

ForeverZer0

Yes, 40 frames in XP and 60 frames in VX are both equivalent.
60 FPS as the norm provides a little smoother movement.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Calintz

i know that they're equivalent in the sense that they both operate that frame rate at one full second, but i was referring to the character's movement, depending on his speed setting and how that converts to frame rate, but i just ran a quick test and found out.

ForeverZer0

I know what you meant, that's what I was answering.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Calintz

i don't think i explained it well enough.
the character does not move in 60frames at a normal speed. he makes that movement in 15frames.

ForeverZer0

Oh, you meant it takes X number of frames for a character to make one movement, etc., etc.
I thought you meant that if visually the character is moving at the same rate of speed across the screen in the same amount of time.

Isn't that gonna totally depend on the movement speed? I don't really understand how this helps with setting things up, but you can look into the script editors in Game_Character (or is it Sprite_Character...?) and whatever VX's equivalent is to see how the movement is made.

Calintz

yes, it will totally depend on the character's speed, which is why i updated the first post with the results. this is helpful when scrolling the map during a cutscene. if you know how the speed affects the number of frames until it reaches its destination then your wait time will be much more accurate if not spot on. this is good for consistency.

ForeverZer0

Very true, I was not thinking of that.