Multiple Message Windows Slight "Problem"

Started by Vexus, April 15, 2012, 05:27:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Vexus

I'm using this multi message script that was edited by foreverzer0 (link: http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=5907.0)

The "problem" is that when an event outside the screen shows a message a window shows at the bottom of the screen for a second and goes away for every message which can be a little annoying when you want to make some npcs converse together as I'm trying to do.

Anything can be done?

Thanks
Current Project/s:

ForeverZer0

Don't use floating messages for events that aren't on the screen. Its meant to dispose messages when the message source is not on the screen.

Use this to set the position of the message:
  - \P[n] = position message over event with id n
            * use n=0 for player
            * in battle, use n=a,b,c,d for actors (e.g. \P[a] for first actor)
              and n=1,...,n for enemies (e.g. \P[1] for first enemy)
              where order is actually the reverse of troop order (in database)

or this to disable floating messages, which can be re-enabled again after the message:
message.floating = false

I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Vexus

It's a shame I like the floating messages :/

The message can be read if the player is near the npcs conversating (It happens at a certain time only not all the time.) that's why I tried asking here, tried having events speak to each other in their routines throughout the day.

I already use the position thing in the texts else they don't go over the events even if you talk to said event and he gives the message.

I'll see what I can do then, it's not a huge problem but some people might find it annoying.
Current Project/s:

ForeverZer0

Th "floating" messages only really apply when floating over events, hence they are called that. They can't float over events that are not on the screen. If you want to use the the same windowskin, you can change your default windowskin to the same used for the message bubbles, set floating to false, and you might get the same look you're aiming for.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Vexus

Just 1 last question.

I used the floating messages mostly because I could keep the player walking without stopping for every single message, disabling the floating message would I still be able to move while there are messages on the screen?
Current Project/s:

ForeverZer0

Not if the floating is currently false.

Make your "non-floating" messages like this:

Script: message.floating = false
Show Text: Blah, blah, blah.
Script: message.floating = true

Vexus

April 15, 2012, 07:23:09 pm #6 Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 07:28:22 pm by Vexus
So in other words I can't completely eliminate the problem unless I use your other script event ranged condition and put a conditional with on screen requirement for the chat to show.
Current Project/s:

ForeverZer0

I would change how you are doing it. I don't understand the usefulness of having a message bubble hanging over an event that is not even visible on the screen. Aside from that, just set floating to false when you display it.

Vexus

I wanted to emulate a normal conversation between 2 npcs without the player forced to read all the chatting. If the player is interested in what the 2 are saying he/she could remain there and read else if he/she doesn't care they can simple keep on moving.

If I disable (Meaning false) the floating messages the player will have to stop moving till the messages are finished no? That's what I'm trying to avoid while having these small chitchats npcs have between each other.
Current Project/s:

Heretic86

I know it is an old topic, but I'll reply anyway.

I was able to pull this off by using a parallel script that controlled the conversation between four actors, not just two.  I checked for the players x, y coordinates to make sure they were in range first (so the text bubbles could be displayed), then allowed the parallel script to show the conversation.  The conversation appeared to the player to start in the middle, but I looped it so nothing was actually missed.
Current Scripts:
Heretic's Moving Platforms

Current Demos:
Collection of Art and 100% Compatible Scripts

(Script Demos are all still available in the Collection link above.  I lost some individual demos due to a server crash.)