[RESOLVED][XP] Script Configuration Questions

Started by Andreavnn, April 20, 2012, 07:58:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Andreavnn

April 23, 2012, 10:24:22 am #20 Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 10:31:15 am by Andreavnn
@diagostimo, thanks I will test it out right now.

*EDIT* diagostimo do you think you could throw together the fixed version of the demo for me? I can't seem to get it to work on my side. I set the mirrors to priority *1 and still no anvil. I got the reflection to work just fine. I don't know what I am doing wrong with the mirror stuff.  :facepalm:

diagostimo

nvm i forgot to re add blizz abs when i was testing with the mirrors, so ye theres conflict with blizz abs and the mirrors, but without blizz abs to make the reflections you would draw your bottom tile then draw a tile with a priority of 1 above that, the reflection is always drawn below a tile with a priority of 1, so im guesing without it there it wouldnt be drawn at all, then of course add the reflection event

Andreavnn

I see, BABS stumbles me again. Why does every script online make there scripts work with Blizzard's, I mean he is the best so it should just be a rule.  :facepalm: Any chance I can get help with this too Blizz?

ForeverZer0

Reflection and shadow scripts, by their very nature, are extremely buggy. It is why most people end up ditching them for their actual game. They are more of a cool novelty, and causes more problems than they are worth.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Andreavnn

I see, oh well. I guess I will have to really think about it then.  :'( Sad they didn't make the engine better for that kind of stuff. Is that going to be some in ARC?

ForeverZer0

Its not a restriction of the engine, its a matter of the scripting. There is no way to predict every possibility where you may or may not want a reflection/shadow to display. This could be due only to a look you are trying to get with your mapping style. Regardless, a script is a logical set of functions that do different things under different conditions. It is unrealistic to have a Ruby script for a 2D  game to be so advanced.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Andreavnn

I see, just something that can't be done with Ruby.  :wacko: Oh well might just scrap it then.

ForeverZer0

Its not that it CAN'T be done with Ruby (RGSS to be more specific), its just that it is extremely hard to not have visual bugs here an there, even compatibility aside. If you are willing to accept that, or very carefully test every map to avoid such instances, then you don't need to scrap anything. Its more a matter of the extra work required for something so simple.

Andreavnn

Ah okay, well I am in need hurry so I will just have to keep testing and see how things work out. Thanks!

Blizzard

@F0: I'd say it's more a problem of compatibility than buggy scripts. Especially since most of those scripts modify the Sprite_Character class in some way or another, things usually go haywire if you have a script that completely changes how sprites are displayed. xD
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

ForeverZer0

Quote from: ForeverZer0 on April 23, 2012, 07:31:06 pm
Its not a restriction of the engine, its a matter of the scripting. There is no way to predict every possibility where you may or may not want a reflection/shadow to display.

This is more along the lines I meant.

Andreavnn

April 24, 2012, 06:38:40 pm #31 Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 07:39:50 pm by Andreavnn
I see that only way to do it effectively would be to make a whole game then have someone or yourself come in and script a special little piece of code or each spot in your game where you would have reflections? Seems like a lot of work for someone else to do which is why I am sure no one really does it. Unless they do it for themselves, which most projects flop anyways. :/ *sigh* Well I am sitting on it for now and maybe pick it back up later if I feel like I really, really need it in there. Thanks guys for the help and insight. Always appreciated.  :haha:

*EDIT* Damn you grammar!