1st Annual Chaos Project Indie Developer Competition

Started by RoseSkye, April 24, 2012, 09:25:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RoseSkye

Yo'. Rose of the Skye variety here and I feel like holding a contest.
I desire to see the abilities of the new generation of english indie game devs on this site. I'll give you guys to 6/10/2012 to make an 1 hour log demo consisting of an unique approach to whatever tool you use. I'll expect something special involving 5 UNIQUE mini/major boss fights with PROPER challenge and attack patterns. If its just button mashing without strategy that is an automatic disqualification.  There are no limitations for this contest. I expect you to turn in a product WITH EFFORT applied to it.

If there are any questions ask so below.

Reward:
1st place - $100 USD
2nd place - $50 USD
3rd place - $25 USD

I'm bored... entertain me.

ShadowPierce

Rules and specifics?
Do you just want boss battles with a bit of story thrown in?
What about existing projects?

I might be interested... >:3

Spoiler: ShowHide
Quote from: Blizzard on February 16, 2011, 03:44:48 pmThere you go. It's the proof that SDK is crap. It's incompatible with itself.
3DS Friend Code: ShowHide
1161-0627-9890

Calintz

that isn't much time to generate a story with five boss battles, with "effort."

Andreavnn

tSwitch

I'm a bit confused here, you're saying that there have to be boss fights of some sort, but then saying that you can use whatever tool you want, and there are no limitations, but also that you require strategy.

I think you need to iron out a better judgement ruleset, as I know that I for one am not interested in joining a competition and dedicating my time when it looks like the winners are just going to be decided arbitrarily.

It looks like calvinball.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: tSwitch.us | Twitter | Tumblr

Blizzard

I agree with NAMK. I think that a bit more structure and realistic limitations would not only make this competition more fun, it would also stimulate people to create a better product. Competitions with too loose rules never turned out too well.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

RoseSkye

One full month isn't enough to make an hour long demo for you guys? How about 3 months?
The boss fights I expect to be innovative and well thought out. Something that makes it feel like a boss battle not just something with tons of health and easy. I want to feel like I have to use strategy to accomplish my goals. If you want rules fine...

1. Existing projects are allowed if you make a new project using the theme of your old project.
2. Put effort into your work... I expect there to be animation in whatever battle system used including DBS. Even if the artwork is bad I'll accept it if you respect your project enough to do so.
3. Each boss/miniboss must be more difficult than the next AND must fit into the story. I recommend researching boss fights in general to plan your ideas properly.
4. If there aren't more than 6 people who joins the contest prize will be decreased. It wouldn't be acceptable to award people just for participation.

Now with those rules put into place... I appoint Blizzard as a judge seeing as he's admin here. Infact I'll just act as sponsor handing out the prizes so Blizzard can hold the contest to his discretion. ♥~

Landith

I wouldn't be worried about having 6 people join.. I would be worried about people who join but don't finish in time or drop out. Last contest I was in there was like over 10 contestants and me and NAMK were the only two who submitted anything...

Are there any restrictions on what engine we have to use/type of game we have to make?

I'm down though. I could definitely make an hour long demo in the given timeline..
Also is this solely a one man project?

GAX

Tempted to join but I'm already going nuts with 2 projects + classes.

Rule 2: ShowHide
Quote from: Rule No.2Keep your signatures at reasonable size. The pictures in your signature may altogether be no more than 200kB and take up an area of 1600px2. That means 2 pictures of 400x200 are fine, one picture of 800x200 is fine and so on. Also your pictures height must not exceed 200 pixels, width can be as big as you want as long as your pictures match the other criteria. Every signature not matching this criteria is a subject of the moderator team to remove and leave this rule as message in your signature.

ShadowPierce

Quote from: Blizzard on February 16, 2011, 03:44:48 pmThere you go. It's the proof that SDK is crap. It's incompatible with itself.
3DS Friend Code: ShowHide
1161-0627-9890

Landith

It would be better to put it off until Summer so that people aren't swamped with finals and what not.

RoseSkye

Blizzard

I think a delay would be a good idea. Maybe we can organize things better then.
Maybe we could even make it work over several forums. That way we could get more participants.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Calintz

the admin has spoken!...good luck to all who compete.

Subsonic_Noise

Rose offers you something like this, and all you do is complain? Pffft, cp people... :P

Seriously though, I'm willing to join a team and make your epic boss battles more epic, with music and sound and whatever.

Blizzard

Then we shouldn't disclose any more information for now so people don't go ahead cheating and start already working on their games. :P

element

I guess I would participate too, though with all of my spare time going into my game atm, it will be hard.

Maybe I could take parts of my game and put them into the one hour long demo. If you guys would let me though.

Dweller

If Spoofus group (to join gamemaking competition) finally don´t participate I will join Rose contest.
Dwellercoc

AliveDrive

Quote from: RoseSkye on April 24, 2012, 09:25:32 am
new generation of english indie game devs on this site. There are no limitations for this contest.

Why stick with the standard RPG, boss fight, save the princess games?

I think we should challenge people to come up with other, more creative and original ideas too.

Ones without limitations, BUT as Blizz pointed out, not without STRUCTURE. That's a good idea.
Quote from: Blizzard on September 09, 2011, 02:26:33 am
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.

Vexus

I was just starting a sample project for this contest pff :/
Current Project/s: