Cutscenes and Messages

Started by Calintz, April 28, 2012, 08:34:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Calintz

do you guys think it's better to wait for the player's input while moving through messages, or could it be a breath of fresh air to have the messages automated?...

G_G

In my opinion, I think its better to allow the player to control message input. Some people are slow readers or have a hard time understanding dialogue at some times and may have to re-read it. The only time messages should really be automated is if you're trying to time screen effects with background music. On top of which, automated messages always bugged me because as a player, it felt I had a little less control and I normally read the messages faster then they disappeared.

Calintz

i completely agree with you. thanks game_guy.

Landith

You should use automated messages for background story stuff like in the beginning of the game...or maybe for action scenes that require that fast paced action but even then it's iffy. I would stick with player's input for 97-99% of your game :P or if you do have automated messages make sure you have it close at an appropriate time and not pre-maturely or way to late.

winkio

If messages are synchronized to voice acting or complex events on the screen, they can be automated.  But if characters are mostly just standing around or walking in a straight line, automation is less effective.

Calintz

this is what i've decided might work well. during cutscenes, i'll allow the player full control over messages with the input command, but when speaking with NPCs the window will close automatically after a brief display. if you missed it, simply speak to them again.

GrimTrigger

I do everything with player input, mostly for the reasons others listed above. In addition, I do this because I rely heavily on dialogue choices to determine how the main character develops, so automated would kill any customization. I like to have choices appear often (that have consequences,) as I feel it helps connect the player to the character, versus mashing the button to power through a cutscene.

Heretic86

I think the only time that I would use Automated Messages during gameplay would be to suggest Interruption.

Actor 1 "Well, do you think I should go and get that first, or<Auto Next Message>
Actor 2 "Just go get it!"

But I think that is really only a decent way to do a style if you have some sort of Letter by Letter script to display your messages.  Otherwise what I suggest kind of goes right out the window.
Current Scripts:
Heretic's Moving Platforms

Current Demos:
Collection of Art and 100% Compatible Scripts

(Script Demos are all still available in the Collection link above.  I lost some individual demos due to a server crash.)

Calintz

i appreciate all of your guy's input.