Skyrim, AC II and others: PC or Xbox?

Started by SBR*, May 11, 2012, 04:57:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SBR*

I've been looking this up on Google for a little while now, but I'm getting the feeling I'm reading tons of fanboys and haters whose comments aren't really trustworthy, so that's why I've decided to ask it here.

Lately I decided to play AC I for the very first time and I did thoroughly enjoy it. I'd like to play AC II, but I fear my PC can't handle it. My PC is two yours old (or perhaps even older). I went to 'Can you run it?' and these are the results:
Spoiler: ShowHide

I don't know anything about specs at all, so my question is: can my PC run this? I don't really need any ultra-super-hardcore graphics; as long as they're decent, I'm fine with it. Heck, I think AC I's graphics were perfectly fine. My biggest concern are lag spikes. If my PC can't run it, I'd probably buy an Xbox.

I would be willing to build my own PC, if it weren't for the fact that I am very clumsy and not any good with making, assembling, etc. things at all.

Now, my second question is if my PC can run Skyrim with, let's say, about medium graphics:

I've heard that Skyrim is incredibly buggy and that you would absolutely need mods to play it decently. I pirated Skyrim to see if it was playable; a friend of mine tested it out on my PC, as I didn't want to watch the intro and know the storyline until I played it, and he said it was quite laggy.

So, to sum it up, I'm wondering if my PC can handle those games on medium graphical settings and if Skyrim truly is incredibly buggy on the Xbox. Thank you :).

Landith

I have skyrim on the 360 and it's not really that buggy to me.. Maybe minor things but none that really affect the gameplay. I'm level 52 and stopped because I had nothing to do so I recommend getting it for PC so you can mess around with mods and stuff so you have more gameplay available :P If your PC can't run it then I definitely recommend getting a new PC or upgrading what needs to be if you can afford it.

About the ACII I just recommend getting it and trying it out.. It shouldn't be too expensive at all and I believe Gamestop has a deal where you can take it back for full price if you bring it back within 3 days or something like that... If it's just your video card then it might have a problem playing it and upgrading the graphics but it still should be relatively playable just a little laggy..

SBR*

Quote from: Landith on May 11, 2012, 09:49:03 pm
If your PC can't run it then I definitely recommend getting a new PC or upgrading what needs to be if you can afford it.

I've heard that good pre-built PCs are ridiculously expensive (about 900 euros or dollars) and I don't really have that much money.  As I've mentioned before, I'm really clumsy so I don't think I'm capable of building a PC myself.

Quote from: Landith on May 11, 2012, 09:49:03 pm
About the ACII I just recommend getting it and trying it out.. It shouldn't be too expensive at all and I believe Gamestop has a deal where you can take it back for full price if you bring it back within 3 days or something like that...

I live in Holland, so I don't think there are any Gamestops here. I don't think the other stores still sell AC II, so that won't work. I can only buy it through an online shop or Steam and neither of those have that policy. Is the difference between an ATI Radeon HD 4300 and an ATI Radeon HD 4700 really that big?

Thanks for replying :).

G_G

Radeon cards aren't great in my opinion. If you can, I would definitely try getting an nVidia. Before my nVidia, I had a ATI Radeon HD 4700 and I could hardly run any modern games on it.

SBR*

Quote from: game_guy on May 12, 2012, 07:34:31 am
Radeon cards aren't great in my opinion. If you can, I would definitely try getting an nVidia. Before my nVidia, I had a ATI Radeon HD 4700 and I could hardly run any modern games on it.

Okay. As I would probably end up breaking a few things when trying to replace my VC, I will probably buy an Xbox 360, just because then it will work in any case. I heard Skyrim for Xbox crashes a lot, but if none of you are having any problems, it'll probably be alright. Thanks for the advice!

Subsonic_Noise

That's not true at all though. ATI and Nvidia are competitors, somewhat like AMD and intel. Both have great products, just look out for good offers. Especially for middleclass graphics cards, AMD tends to have better prices.

Landith

I think Nvidia is a lot better than ATI but that doesn't mean all ATI cards are shit. Just saying I definitely prefer Nvidia :P

On the Xbox.. I just remembered that I did have a problem with things spawning. I could kill all the mammoths in an area, wait for like a month then when I went back to kill them again they wouldn't spawn. I waited forever too and still nothing. This happened for Draemora creatures, mammoths and giants. Besides that though I didn't have a problem at all with Skyrim on my Xbox. I also haven't played in months so they might have patched those things, I'm not sure.

SBR*

Quote from: Landith on May 12, 2012, 05:10:04 pm
I think Nvidia is a lot better than ATI but that doesn't mean all ATI cards are shit. Just saying I definitely prefer Nvidia :P

On the Xbox.. I just remembered that I did have a problem with things spawning. I could kill all the mammoths in an area, wait for like a month then when I went back to kill them again they wouldn't spawn. I waited forever too and still nothing. This happened for Draemora creatures, mammoths and giants. Besides that though I didn't have a problem at all with Skyrim on my Xbox. I also haven't played in months so they might have patched those things, I'm not sure.

Thank you. I've found AC II for the PC on an online shop for just 10 euros, so I'll buy that and see if my PC can handle it. If it can, I will wait until I want other games that my PC can't handle and then buy either an Xbox or a PS3. Thank you for your help, everybody!

SBR*

May 27, 2012, 05:36:37 am #8 Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 05:37:47 am by SBR*
I've been to the computer store to see what kind of service they had to offer. I asked them what parts I should buy and if they would build the PC for me. They listed some parts and told me this new PC would last me about 7 years and that they could sell me the PC for a grand total of 900 euros, which equals about 1125 US dollars:

Case: Atx midi supercase pc 397
Powersupply: PSU Huntkey atx 400 Watt
Motherboard: Msi h61m-p25 glan 2dimm
Processor: Intel core i5 2500 3.3GHz 6MB
Processor: Coolor arctic cpu freezer xtrm
Memory: 4gb ddr3 1333MHz PC10600 240p (2x)
Videocard: Pci-e nv n560gtx 1gb ddr5
Multi-media: Dvd-rw 22x16x8 sam dl.s-ata.zw
Harddisk: 3.5 s-ata 1TB seagate
Without: Keyboard, mouse, monitor, windows

Will this PC really last me so long and is this a fair deal? They are known to be an expensive shop, so I will probably look for a cheaper store online.

Dweller

Just a suggestion:

QuoteMemory: 4gb ddr3 1333MHz PC10600 240p (2x)

Change this RAM Memory module to a 1600MHz (the price will be very close to the 1333Mhz one) because memory speed is very important in performance.

Other one: Try to include a sATA 3 hard disk (the motherboard needs to support sATA 3). Example:
IDE 133Mhz < sATA < 150 Mhz < sATA2 300Mhz < sATA3 600Mhz. Like in memory. the HDD speed access is very important in performance (in games you can see this improvement when you load a new zone).
Dwellercoc

SquareMan

While that is a pretty good PC, as much as game graphics are advancing and requiring more and more system resources, I doubt that it would last for 7 years, maybe 4 at best.
QuoteThey've got helmets on they're heads. But I gotta watermeloan instead!