RGSS Addon

Started by ThallionDarkshine, May 17, 2012, 10:41:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ThallionDarkshine

May 17, 2012, 10:41:23 pm Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 12:21:44 am by ThallionDarkshine
Who here thinks that it would be a good idea to add on to the built in RGSS classes such as bitmap. Well, I'm starting doing it. So far I have added in several RGSS2 bitmap functions missing from RGSS.

Functions completed:

Bitmap:
draw_gradient(rectangle, color1, color2, gradient_type[, subtype])
     rectangle - rectangle in which to draw gradient
     color1, color2 - starting and ending colors
     gradient_type:
       0 - horizontal, 1 - vertical, 2 - diagonal, 3 - radial
     subtype - for diagonal:
       0 - top-left to bottom-right, 1 - top-right to bottom-left
    - this method is very laggy, especially with anything other than horizontal or vertical

draw_circle(rectangle, color[, border, border_size, border_color])
     rectange - rectangle in which to draw circle
     color - color of the circle
     border - whether to draw a border (default false)
     border_size - how large the border is (default 0)
     border_color - color of the border (default black)
    - this method doesn't lag as much as the gradient, but it still lags

blur
    - this method only lags a bit compared to the other functions

sharpen
    - this method lags a little more than blur

draw_line(x1, y1, x2, y2, color[, width])
     x1, y1, x2, y2 - starting and ending coordinates of line
     color - color in which to draw the line
     width - thickness of the line

ForeverZer0

They did this with the SDK, and it isn't very popular. Personally I prefer to just make what I need for a specific purpose rather that have a bunch of methods that I am not using just so I can have one or two. Most people that would ever actually use these are going to be scripters that know how to do it themselves, so usually they are not very useful.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

ThallionDarkshine

Oh, I didn't know that was what the SDK was. Regardless of whether people will use it, I'll probably keep making it.

G_G

The SDK was a complete rewrite of all of the scripts. If you're just making new Bitmap methods and whatnot that can help developers, it shouldn't be too bad. But that's still another script dependency for people who do release scripts using your list of methods, which the SDK was a nuisance just for being a dependency.

ThallionDarkshine

Yeah, I'll just add on more functionalities.

ThallionDarkshine

Just a quick update on the status of this project. I'm almost ready to release the first version of my RGSS Addon. I have converted all the code to a dll, and have made corresponding ruby functions.