[XP] Multi-Game Launcher

Started by Blizzard, January 09, 2008, 04:58:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

January 09, 2008, 04:58:40 pm Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 10:24:42 am by Blizzard
Multi-Game Launcher
Authors: Blizzard
Version: 1.1
Type: Game Launcher Utility
Key Term: Game Utility

Introduction

This special project will allow you to create a game launcher that launches one game out of a selection.

This work is licensed under BSD License 2.0:
QuoteCopyright (c) Boris "Blizzard" Mikić
All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

1.  Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,
    this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

2.  Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice,
    this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation
    and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

3.  Neither the name of the copyright holder nor the names of its contributors
    may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
    without specific prior written permission.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND
ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED.
IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT,
INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT
NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR
PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY,
WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE)
ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE
POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

• You are allowed to compile and encrypt this project for your games.
  • You are allowed to alter any resources.
  • You are NOT allowed to alter the name of this project, it has to remain "Multi-Game Launcher".
If you have any questions about this project, feel free to contact me:
http://forum.chaos-project.com

Features

• lets the player run a game or application from a selection which you can set up
  • several options for more convenience
  • you are allowed to customize any resources

v1.1
  • added new license
  • added usage and crediting instructions

Screenshots

Demo

Multi-Game Launcher

Script

N/A

Instructions

Inside the project, in the "---::: Configuration :::---" script.

Compatibility

Should be 100% compatible with anything as this launcher is independent and does not interfere with any of your games.

Credits and Thanks

• Boris "Blizzard" Mikić
  • Susys - for requesting this

Author's Notes

This launcher cannot launch only games, it can launch ANY application. If a game does not get launched when you choose it, then you haven't set up the configuration correctly.

That's it! N-Joy! =D
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Memor-X

something strange has happened with one of the Multi-game launchers i fixed up for one of my game series, when i select the game, the launcher reopens itself, i checked the code on it the option isn't fixed up to opened the launcher's own .exe file, any idea what's going on

Blizzard

That's unusual. It should close the launcher afterwards. Did the other app get started as well?

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Starrodkirby86

So this would mean if a help file, say, were an .exe, you can launch that before playing the game. Or...you can launch an .exe that's a virus.  :evil: Anything...as long as the right file directory is known...Interesting, I'm intrigued. And it's very customizable since it's just a new game in itself. Kudos to you Blizzard, very great creation!

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Memor-X

QuoteThat's unusual. It should close the launcher afterwards. Did the other app get started as well?

no, i thought it was working normaly until i saw the title of the Multi-Game Launcher, then i selected the game again, and again, still the same, i checked the path to the .exe and it's right, anyway, here's the installer i made for it, still working on the installer itself but the multi-game launcher is in it, see if you can figure out the problem
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PKO5N40Y

Blizzard

July 24, 2008, 09:05:51 pm #5 Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 09:50:15 am by Blizzard
Thanks. I'll check it ASAP.

EDIT: How am I supposed to find out what's wrong when it's encrypted? -_-

Memor-X

sorry, my bad, put up the wrong one (i was wondering why it was moved to the uploads folder) here's another link

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SH5WFDOD

Blizzard

July 29, 2008, 08:27:30 am #7 Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 08:28:20 am by Blizzard
Hm, I just found out something... The Multi-Game Launcher should be encrypted separately without the other files and folders or it might cause a crash bug on the other projects. I also tried the game launcher both encrypted and not encrypted and it worked fine. The launcher's path was C:\Documents and Settings\Boris\Desktop\Core\Game.exe and the game's path was C:\Documents and Settings\Boris\Desktop\Core\Core Twinlight Worlds\Black Core Demo\Black Core Demo.exe without changing your setup. Did you have the same relative path structure? Are you using Vista, BTW?

Memor-X

August 03, 2008, 09:33:06 pm #8 Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 09:36:29 pm by Memor-X
well i'm not using vista (i could but i don't remember if there was a post on the forum in how to get RMXP working on Vista) i'm using XP, and yeh, that's really the same setup except i had the folder in Program Files\Mema Hunters but that should make any differnce, as for what you said

QuoteThe Multi-Game Launcher should be encrypted separately without the other files and folders or it might cause a crash bug on the other projects

does that mean like i have to remove all audio and graphics before encrypting then in after (like running the gamedisk then pasting them into the game's folder) or does it mean that i shouldn't encrypt other games inside the Multi-Game launcher aswell

Blizzard

The latter. Remove the other games first, then encrypt the launcher.

Memor-X

i always do that, infact, i make the Multi-Game Launchers after i have got a game to text out on them, i've just fixed up the installer for the game so they install the game to the correct folder by defult, that way, you don't really need to try hard to get them into the correct folder, just keep pressing ok

G_G

I figured out how to run Scene_Launcher in game. Like say yoy have a minigame made in another project, but you want to be able to play it in your current project, I figured out how to do it but I want blizz's permission first.

Sally

ok nice necro post,

so

QuoteCredits and Thanks

Blizzard
Susys - for requesting this

Diokatsu

Blizzard

It's alright to use this in your game. Susys asked me back then for this and I thought I could post it for everybody else. I use an edited version myself in CoSLAL. :)

G_G

Ok, if you need to import this in your game, copy all the scripts except window and main. Paste them above all.
Like so
Config
Bitmap
Music
Scene_Launcher
RTP
Other's
Blizz;s
Main

Then in Scene_Launcher find this line
@win = Window.new(max_width + 40, games)

and change it to this
@win = Window_Command.new(max_width + 40, games)

then in your game enter the following syntax
$scene = Scene_Launcher.new

Blizzard

This will actually make your game malfuntion. :P This is not meant to be a project where you copy all the scripts. You are only supposed to set it up. It works autonomously and independently from your game.

G_G

Ok, I had this set up because I made a minigame I wanted to import into my regular game. But when I imported all the stuff, it wouldnt work and it caused errors. So I modded this script so I could use it in my main game anytime. Thats why I modded it.

Mightylink

Great script, this is useful for adding tutorials or minigames or expansion packs to my main project. I give it 5 thumbs up :D

k9inpoop

oooo i got a good update for you you can make Multi-Game Launcher able to use the mouse to pick a game to play or something that.

Blizzard