PSU Recommendation?

Started by G_G, May 28, 2012, 02:23:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

G_G

May 28, 2012, 02:23:06 am Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 02:58:20 am by game_guy
I'm building a new computer, my friend's been helping me choose my hardware and I've finally picked everything out that I want. However, he's not too sure about power units.

Here are the overall components I'm going to be using.

Case
Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Processor
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX

Motherboard
ASUS - Motherboards- ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX
Newegg.com - ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

RAM
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL

I'm not buying a new graphics card as I already have one. But this is what I plan on using.
GeForce GTS 450 - GeForce

I was looking around on newegg and I found this unit right here but my friend's not too sure if it'll be enough.
Newegg.com - XFX Core Edition PRO550W (P1-550S-XXB9) 550W ATX12V 2.2 & ESP12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Anyways, if you can recommend a good PSU, I'd be really grateful. If at all possible, I'd like to order it from newegg. Thanks in advance!

SBR*

Is that a gaming PC? Because then the shop I went to has been trying to sell me way too expensive parts (2x the price). How long would this PC last you?

Blizzard

Case
Basically whatever you like.

Processor
Good.

Motherboard
Make sure it works with your CPU and your RAM. The rest is more or less irrelevant.

RAM
Good.

GFX Card
Good one, keep it.

Power
550W is enough, trust me. You're not building a server or a monster gaming PC.

HDD
You forgot that one. Don't take anything under 1 TB if you're buying one.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

G_G

Quote from: SBR* on May 28, 2012, 04:50:22 am
Is that a gaming PC? Because then the shop I went to has been trying to sell me way too expensive parts (2x the price). How long would this PC last you?

It'll last me at least 5 years I'm guessing. It's far better than the HP I'm running right now which only has a 250w PSU. (Which is under volting my hardware which is why my hardware randomly fails on me) The HP maybe has a year left. Tops. So I'm building one instead of spending 800$ on another computer that'll last only two years.

@Blizzard: Alright thanks for your input. For the motherboard, I've already checked everything out and the memory and processor work for it just fine. I was going to order a hard drive, but I figured I'd use the 1TB I have now. Unless you recommend I buy a new one.

Blizzard

If you have an HDD, don't buy a new one.
BTW, if it tunrs out that your PSU is too weak, just buy a new one. They are cheap (at least here).

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

G_G

That's what I normally would have done, but I figured it'd be nice to build my own computer for a change. In fact, I was actually just going to get a new processor and RAM but my current motherboard doesn't support the processor I wanted or the RAM I wanted, at that point I figured I'd just build a computer.

Thanks for the input Bilzzard. It's much appreciated. :3

Blizzard

Just remember that you have to reinstall Windows when you put the HDD into a "new" PC. If hardware such as CPU and motherboard change, then usually the old Windows installation can't be booted anymore because of the wrong drivers, etc.

G_G

May 28, 2012, 12:04:25 pm #7 Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 12:06:01 pm by game_guy
I had planned on reformatting the hard drive anyways. But now that I think about it, I do have a question. If I use the built in recovery partition to re-install windows, will it install properly if all of the hardware is different or would I need to get a different installation of Windows? I might just get another installation of Windows regardless because I don't want all of HP's bloatware.

Blizzard

Are you using the HDD from a laptop? The recovery partition is set up to work with that hardware only so it's useless with another computer and you should do a clean reinstall.

G_G

The recovery partition came with the HDD that came with my desktop computer. There is a feature though to put the recovery onto a DVD so I can do a factory install with that.

Blizzard

May 28, 2012, 05:16:40 pm #10 Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 05:17:43 pm by Blizzard
Ah, that's what you want. Well, as I said, I'm not sure if the recovery partition can work that way. But you can try.
If you're worrying about the legality of your Windows installation, I'm not even sure doing it like this is legal. I know that it will probably void your warranty, but I'm not sure if it is a way to obtain/keep your Windows installation legal. So a simpler alternative may be to torrent a Windows 7 ISO instead of bothering to dump a recovery partition onto a DVD.

GAX

Sadly the recovery is NOT a Windows CD.  In order to setup the new computer you'll need to reinstall.  The thing you're in luck with is this:  you have a legitimate copy of windows already.  Make sure you still have the CD Key somewhere on the computer or just fetch it from the registry (I don't know exactly how to do this, but my friends have stolen volume licenses from a ton of places doing this).

Grab any CD off the net for your version of windows, install with that and use your key.

You can always change the key later on and still be good.

Rule 2: ShowHide
Quote from: Rule No.2Keep your signatures at reasonable size. The pictures in your signature may altogether be no more than 200kB and take up an area of 1600px2. That means 2 pictures of 400x200 are fine, one picture of 800x200 is fine and so on. Also your pictures height must not exceed 200 pixels, width can be as big as you want as long as your pictures match the other criteria. Every signature not matching this criteria is a subject of the moderator team to remove and leave this rule as message in your signature.

G_G

Alright, thanks for the input. In about one month, I'll be able to order all of my parts! I can't wait! ^3^