Started by Vexus, June 23, 2012, 09:14:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Vexus

July 17, 2012, 06:17:50 am #20 Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 05:00:04 pm by Vexus
Links in first post.
Current Project/s:

ForeverZer0

Looks interesting so far.
The car accident at the end is a bit strange, the car moves a bit too jerky in my opinion, it would look better if things were a little smoother.

Other than that, what you have so far is very interesting. :)
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Vexus

Thanks for the feedback and I agree with you about the car accident scene.

It's very hard for me to make a decent scene involving a car accident, I tried to make edits to the car to have a turning sprite but it's too time consuming and I'm not really that good and complete edits of sprites.

At first the scene was going to take place on a road near a mountain with a collision near the turning of the road (Which is not possible to make smooth in rmxp as it's not 3d unless I make a complete 3d tileset myself) but then I ended up with a car crash in town.

Any suggestion on how can I smooth things out? More time for the text to appear? A better car crash?

Thanks
Current Project/s:

ForeverZer0

Maybe even just use a picture where you can control the X and Y a little better instead of events where they are kinda forced to stay on tiles. Its a bit hard to get smoothness via event movement, whereas in a script or picture you have precise control of the sprite's pixel coordinates.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Vexus

Hmm would be a bit hard for me to draw a decent looking scene by pictures unless I understood you wrong.

Anyway since your the only one offering feedback what did you think about the wedding scene specially about the kid with the cushion? On the other site they said it was kinda out of place in the first demo. (Tough in the first demo he didn't have a cushion in his hands)

I also tried making things more "lively" as suggested on another site by having rotating heads when they speak, does it look odd or it makes the scene look better?

Thanks
Current Project/s:

ForeverZer0

I think the "heads" thing looks fine.

What I meant with the picture was instead of using an event with a car graphic, use a picture with the same graphic, and move it using the picture commands. You get finer control that way instead of using move routes.

Vexus

-Small Update-

I'm adding some tutorials ingame via pictures here's an example:

Tutorial: ShowHide

Pictures go away when you press enter, they are not timed based and you cannot move until you've seen them all. (I'll give an option to skip tutorials tough they are not long and really useful in some cases.)

Also with the help of the great jens I'm finally shaping up my status screen to something more akin this game.

Here's a screenie:

Status Screen: ShowHide

The heart has an animation and also sound and the less health you have the slower it will animate/sound.

The layout is almost complete now if I could get some sort of health monitor instead of the window skin as background it would make it look far more better but heh I need to find, get help or create myself a screen of said thing for it to happen...

-----------------------------------------------------

Anyway after trying to get some help for a very long amount of time but was ignored slowly slowly I've managed to sprite the main character in a patient dress that doesn't look that bad. (Tough for issues non regarding game you won't be going for long naked with a vest wandering but will find something to wear and then in the future get something better.)

I'm not working 24/7 on the project that's why updates/progress is not that frequent but slowly slowly I'm adding stuff. (Hint: Possibility on having hunger/thirst in game that make the game more about survival than exploring.)

That's it for now, I'd appreciate some feedback on the tutorial pics and status screen if anyone is kind enough to check them out, there's also the demo on the first page of the prologue which still needs some feedback as I haven't got many feedback sadly..

Ciao
Current Project/s:

Vexus

October 17, 2012, 06:55:13 am #27 Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 06:58:21 am by Vexus
Just want to say that the project is not dead but I kinda stopped updating it here since there's not much activity.

I'll update the main post when a demo is read and post again.

--

Current state of the project is story for demo done, events done, items mostly done, mapping done only left to do is refinement on menu layouts.

Currently getting done a custom save layout, custom load layout, custom inventory layout, custom status layout and custom diary layout (Which now shows 2 pages now instead of one.)

Anyway some screenies of the concepts:

Save Layout:

Spoiler: ShowHide

Current layout still missing battery picture but will be added soon.

You can save 5 times when the battery is full then you have to find a way to recharge it else you can't save anymore. (You can save anywhere in the world you just activate Pda from your inventory.)

Load Layout:

Remember this is a concept, some things might change. (Doubtful.)

You can't load ingame but when you enter save screen there's an option to go back to title screen.

There will be unlockables in the game and first 4 will be found/given in the "prologue" slowly slowly as they are key items to save, use diary, open menu and more.

And inventory screen concept (Previous one imo is ugly):

Top bar for descriptions (Will add an option for more detailed explanations), bottom bar indicating how much space you have used and how many left.

Items separated according to their real use. (Some normal items, notes like tutorial texts, hints, etc and key items for puzzles, keys, etc.)

Inventory size will also be bigger from 45 to 60 so if possible for drago to add that option for some items using more than 1 slot people would have to see on how they will organize their inventory just incase they need to pick up something and require space in the bag.

Diary and Status are done. (Status screen is already visible in previous post (Though I might add some picture instead of the windows skin but I have no idea what to do apart of maybe an edited heart monitor) and well diary is identical as before but now it shows text on left and right pages unlike before.)

That's it, thanks for reading.
Current Project/s:

Vexus

Bump

I finally announce that a demo has been uploaded and it's on the first post!

Let me know what you think about it here or in pms.

Current Project/s:

Vexus

Kinda sad no one tried the demo as it's been out since december 9th but anyways....

Not much of any update but I am implementing sources of light you can light on or off (Candles, lanterns, etc) by the use of matches. Matches are not unlimited but need to be found so better not waste them all on everything you want to light up! (Like always first time something new happens specially a key item like this it will be visible so you don't miss it but afterwards finding matches for example won't be shown on the map but you need to scavenge)

Another thing. I'm mapping the outside of the hospital and so far not that bad I'm just posting this to hint you people to search around as not only items will be hidden but even some stuff that let you enter buildings! (Have nothing to do with the story)

In the first demo the hidden stuff are:

Some bandages sticks, bandage rolls and some coins which you can spend on a vending machine to buy a drink.

If you need clues on where exactly the items are message me here or pm.
Current Project/s:

KK20

Apologies for forgetting about the AI thing. I think I reached a point where I couldn't figure out how I wanted something to work without affecting something else in the process.

How's the light situation coming along? I remember from last time that it was a major source of lag in your game.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

exile360

Just gave this a go and I must say - very well done! It looks and feels very professional. One of the things I look for most in games is atmosphere and immersion, which is pretty hard to pull off in RMXP, but you've done it perfectly, from graphics to sound. I did find a passability issue or two, if you want I can find them again and take screenshots so you can fix them. Also crashed my game the first time with the save lol, reading big red text is too hard it seems. :P

Anyway, you've got a fan. I'm eagerly awaiting for the full version of this. Cheers!

Vexus

@KK20

It seems the light lag only happens on the outside maps as inside houses I don't get any lag.

(I'm using the transfer player in same position method to update the lights as that is the easiest workaround I found)

@exile360

Thank you for trying out my demo :)

Yes the save error is annoying and I'm sorry for not reuploading a new demo with the save file in it. (Though the red text should hint people hopefully hehe) I wouldn't mind if you could tell me were the passability issues were if you feel up to it but it's not a huge deal.

I am also play testing the project apart of creating it and trying events and passages (For example the stairs maps were hunting me for days as I couldn't fix the passability in the black part for some odd reason) as I understand people can't find everything I must look too.

From that demo I fixed some spelling mistakes that were said to me, fixed the doors showing a part of your body and removed the shadowy area as it was too dark and added some new fluff in the text and such like showing icons in text messages.

I don't know if you have arrived or finished it already but the room where you find the pda did the tutorial message go away promptly or you had to mash/hold the button? (That is the only room in the game that is having that problem heh)

Anyway thank you again for trying my demo of chapter 1, chapter 2 is still a little far away as this time I have to map the town and not the insides of 1 place only and once mapping is done it's time for event texts, secrets(There already are  ;) ) and have to test again the first encounter with an infected as once that part goes soon the maps won't be so empty hehe.
Current Project/s:

exile360

QuoteI don't know if you have arrived or finished it already but the room where you find the pda did the tutorial message go away promptly or you had to mash/hold the button? (That is the only room in the game that is having that problem heh)

Actually, no, the message stayed for quite a while. I was spamming all the buttons trying to get rid of it but nothing worked, which made me think the game froze or something. Eventually it did disappear, though. Btw, I think you should type PDA in caps instead of Pda or pda, it's just looks better that way.

Vexus

Ok changed it to all capitals thanks :)

I might edit the picture to warn people incase it gets stuck lol. (I tried everything I could think of to fix it even asked here on the forums but no fix, that room must be hunted haha :P )
Current Project/s:

exile360

That is really strange lol. Warning people might be good for the time being, yeah. Hope you do find a permanent fix eventually. :)

Vexus

July 30, 2013, 06:59:26 am #36 Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 07:07:31 am by Vexus
Ok I placed "(Hold E or Enter if stuck)" in the picture of the PDA.

Tough not sure if I'm going to reupload a demo at the moment as now the project has more stuff in it. (I know I could just delete them and reupload but we'll see)

Thanks again for the feedback as it's seems hard to get any.
Current Project/s:

exile360

Not a problem. I can playtest it whenever you need. :)

Vexus

August 04, 2013, 01:48:35 pm #38 Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 02:04:39 pm by Vexus
Small update.

I'm attempting to make some corpses this is a women lying on a bloody towel:

Her head will be lying on a wall that's why I made it on that position.

This is how it looks:

(I will make the room darker. I think it's too bright)

Should I even put more blood? or should I make some more refinements on the face or whatever you guys suggest?
Current Project/s:

WhiteRose

Quote from: Vexus on August 04, 2013, 01:48:35 pm
Small update.

I'm attempting to make some corpses this is a women lying on a bloody towel:

Her head will be lying on a wall that's why I made it on that position.

This is how it looks:

(I will make the room darker. I think it's too bright)

Should I even put more blood? or should I make some more refinements on the face or whatever you guys suggest?

I think it's looking great so far! :) Good work!