Alive

Started by Vexus, June 23, 2012, 09:14:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Spoofus

August 04, 2013, 02:55:25 pm #40 Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 03:35:19 pm by Spoofus
I finally got around to play your prologue demo, It may be short but very well down.It give this game promise that this game will be good play.

Edit: Played the chapter one demo now, Gotta say I love the atmosphere of the game. it has a Silent Hill/ Alan Wake feel to it (the first Alan Wake game)

My Blog site I am working on: http://spoofus.weebly.com/

Vexus

Thanks hehe.

I haven't played yet alan wake so have no clue how the game is apart of I believe monsters come from the dark and get hurt by the light ala alone in the dark.

The black and white approach was mostly started from the idea of a zombie apocalypse game set in black and white apart of the blood ala sin city. I started a small map to see if it would look good or bad and started liking the sinister look the maps give (Even RTP ones) in black and white :) (Plus it reduces me work on having to create characters, objects, menus and whatever I require and can't find hehe) 

The game is taking most of the atmosphere/story ideas from walking dead and 28 days later (Most on the latter) my favourite zombie apocalypse movies/series. (Walking dead for the journey, 28 days later for the realistic approach of how it would really be if a zombie apocalypse would happen in the world. Sadly no one else tries this approach they want super hero people exterminating thousands of zombies alone.... cough* resident evil cough*)
Current Project/s:

Spoofus

I agree in a zombie apocalypse game, you need to feel like you are the only one alive and you have to survive.
I would love to make a good zombie apocalypse game, but I tend to  troubles deciding on graphic styles.

I think a good zombie game needs a balance of combat,exploration(searching for supplies etc.), and over all surviving.

Vexus

In my game I decided that you don't fight but you can push them away with the attack button. (Which stops you for a second so it's not good to be spammed unless there's only 1 infected)

Apart of combat you will need to explore if you don't want to run out of supplies :P
Current Project/s:

Spoofus

Hurry and finish this game then you, I want a completed 'Alive".

Vexus

Heh still far far away from release of chapter 2.

Not working much on it atm it's too hot inside, curse you summer! :P
Current Project/s:

Heretic86

I just played the demo.

Use of sound effects is masterful

Characters are fairly well animated.  Pretty obvious MMW is used.  I'd redo some of the dialogue using \v to prevent the characters speech bubbles from appearing over the other characters.  Putting the Speech Bubbles over other characters prevents the Player from being able to see any reactions from the other characters.  During the Marriage, reorient the Message Windows.  Too ambiguously placed always being over their heads.  Use \< and \> to reposition when they say "I do" or "I will". 

IE: Person on Left:  "\<I do"
Person on Right: "\>I do"

Repositioning the Windows helps to idendify which character is speaking.

Tighten up the Text.

This is one big long line of text where the very last word of the text puts one word on one
line.

When text is tighened up, it
fits a paragraph format.

Glitches:

Two minor ones.  Chalkboard with the Scale in front of it about half way through the demo is Walkable.  Glass walls that go above doors need a higher priority as the top of the characters head clips when he walks through the door.

Entering the Ventilation System should be a Touch Event instead of the Action Button.  Too hard to figure out otherwise.  I stumbled across it by accident and am pretty sure I hit Enter instead of Touch.

---

Enviornment.  Feels entirely devoid of life.  I like it.  Somebodys been playing Resident Hill vs Silent Evil.  External enviornment could benefit from Lifeless Animation.  Newspapers being strown about a street are an incredibly effective way to convey "Apocolypse" in films.  Can be used in Games as well.

Sprinting:  Need to be able to sprint for a bit longer.  Helps to hold my attention better.

This is me nitpicking.  If this is all I have to gripe about, you know you did a good job.  Detail is excellent and obscured.  If you need "Stains", look for z_flat, a script I wrote.  Use a large event and make it flat, and mostly transparent so you can create "Stains" on floors.  It may help the enviornment to look more run down.  But overall, I am quite impressed.  Most peoples demos I glance at the screenshots and if I think they are shit (which there are many of), I dont even bother to download and play any more.  Mostly I completely aviod all demos that have anything to do with VX as previous experiences have not encouraged me to continue trying other games made in VX.  I have played a number of peoples demos, but most I dont comment on.  You dont know who you are whose games I have played and have not.  But for me to make a comment on an exceptionally good demo, this is it.
Current Scripts:
Heretic's Moving Platforms

Current Demos:
Collection of Art and 100% Compatible Scripts

(Script Demos are all still available in the Collection link above.  I lost some individual demos due to a server crash.)

Vexus

Thanks for trying out the demo :)

1] That's a good idea, actually I'll see on changing the position of some text messages.

2] Will check out some of the text then.

3] I'll try and playtest the hospital again might be hard to find the exact chalkboard but I'll see what I can do.

4] I just play tested the rooms with the glass walls but got no priority issue (Unless you mean the head looks like it's going inside the top part before showing under which it's something rpg maker xp does by default) so it's either I changed something after the demo or I'm checking the wrong glass walls lol.

5] The room before you enter the ventilation has been slightly changed now there's a shiny thing on where you need to interact to continue.

6] Oddly enough long time ago another person on another forum suggested on using flying newspapers outside but I don't have the sprite itself and I'm not going to bother trying it out.

This same poster made me an opened can which rolls, I might use that tough.

---

Thanks for the criticism one can't improve without it :)

I'm kinda taking it super slow with the game's progress.

I got first outside map fully evented apart of story (Only first part so far) then I started thinking on having some houses/building accessible or not and well finished 2 houses and a building so far. One of the houses has most events on drawers etc the other is still without events.

The building is mapped complete just recently this week and still requires events for interaction and maybe secrets.

I think that's all accessible buildings I'll have in the first map or I'll never complete the chapter 2.

I am already doing some secret/hidden stuff and so far I have said building mapped being locked but there's a way to unlock it if you look around ;)

Apart of maps I had some lag issues with outside lights so had/have to tone them down sadly and had to invent some way to create lights in the future so I came up with the idea of using matches. Once outside you'll find a matchbox with some matches then it's up to you how you want to spend them. (Yes they are consumable)

There will be ways to find more matches of course but yea it would be odd having every empty house/building lit with some sort of light apart of light coming from windows so I had no other choice.

That's it I guess.

I got a screenshot of the building which is this:

I was trying my luck on spriting a corpse in an elevator :P
Current Project/s: