Online RTP?

Started by darkhog, June 28, 2012, 08:08:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

darkhog

How about setting up system that would allow to download game resources from within the editor? This would be two-part system:
1) A website so resource creators would upload their works for other people to use
2) A dialog that would get resource list along with thumbnails of gfx ones in the editor and allow of direct download into project's directory.

This would be beneficial as people won't have to download 300+mb of RTP (and with community-made rtp it can end up that way) with maker. Also it would make sure that every game has all resources their need, even if it is zipped up or made with custom installer, because graphics/sound/music would be either downloaded into project folder or imported into it from user's filesystem. How many times I've got missing graphics errors in projects like this, only because my system lacked rtp and author forgot to pack those graphics with the game...

For those of you that used Stencyl: Yes, I've based it upon idea behind StencylForge, because IMO it is very good and doesn't force people to look on six thousand and one forums for graphic they need, everything is in one place. Of course they always can do it if they want, but this certainly lower the barrier and make finding resources easier.

And yes, I've intentionally removed scripts from the equation, because I don't know how automatic installation would work there (in case of graphics/audio you just need to download file into specific folder inside project, scripts have different install process based of how they were written).

Hope this post makes sense (most things I write and this time of day doesn't)

G_G

This isn't going to be a default feature in the editor. Awhile ago I made a program known as Cybele. (It is no longer up and running but you can found out more about it here.)

Anyways, I had planned on creating my own plugin for ARC (since it supports plugins which will basically allow you to add complete new content to the editor) that implements Cybele. You'll be able to upload and download resources from the editor. As for the scripts part, I'd probably just make it download the text file in the root of your project, allowing you to insert it yourself.