Anyone else hear about this?

Started by G_G, July 19, 2012, 02:32:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

G_G

July 19, 2012, 02:32:09 am Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 02:41:27 am by game_guy
I got this comment on one of my youtube videos.

QuoteOuch, you're using C#? .NET isn't supported in Metro for Windows 8. So you'll have to switch to the desktop to play it. I'm sure you were prepared for this though, I am after Microsoft dropped Visual Basic and the hundreds of thousands of people who develop for it, just me like me, were prety much prepared to for Microsoft to drop .NET developers like a baby they don't want. Yeah, glad I stopped using it. Now I'm a little more "cross platform". So what is your plan for when MS drops the desktop?

I haven't heard of Microsoft dropping .NET support for Windows 8, in fact, they'd be pretty stupid to do so. I'm pretty sure this person is confused or was misinformed. Especially since there are Release Candidates for .NET 4.5 which includes Metro and an RC for Visual Studio 2012. All being prepared for Windows 8. Now either I completely missed out on a very important piece of information or this person is extremely confused. Thoughts or input anyone?

EDIT: I looked into it some and this article seems to sum it up pretty well. Basically, Microsoft is bringing a new development platform with HTML and JS but it's still going to support .NET, they're not gonna drop it.

http://geekswithblogs.net/simonc/archive/2012/03/28/.net-vs-windows-8.aspx

Blizzard

July 19, 2012, 02:54:02 am #1 Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 03:09:11 am by Blizzard
.NET is alive and well. If I remember right Metro is built on .NET.

EDIT: It wouldn't make much sense that they drop .NET. It's their multiplatform solution for application development. Just because Mono isn't working out so well, doesn't mean .NET isn't good.

EDIT: Silverlight, that's the one that will be abandoned.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Zexion

Lol @ silverlight. It's complete junk tbh :bear:.

Blizzard

We've started porting our games to the Windows 8 platform and .NET is not the same as Metro. In fact, there is a new system called WinRT which is supposed to be a substitute for Win32 API. While it will require lots of Win32 API calls to be changed into WinRT calls to work, WinRT seems well designed. WinRT also does remind a lot of .NET.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.